View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
September 01, 2006
The Windows API translation project has gone quiet
Once upon a time, this collaborative project to translate the Windows 
API headers into D was quite active.

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI

I think it had four or five contributors at one point.  But over the 
last month or three, there have only been minor updates.

Of course, the core stuff has been translated, though not all polished. 
 And I've just taken a few more modules.  I think it's time for 
contributors, both new and old, to bring the project to life again.

Please read the translation instructions.  The readme.txt file is 
probably rather out of date with the wiki page, but I hope to get this 
fixed soon.


While at it, there are a number of open discussions on the wiki page 
awaiting your feedback.  In particular, I consider the following 
discussions to be open:

- winsock/winsock2 - in particular, which should be imported by default
- meanings of the statuses - Don has come up with a decent system, does 
everyone agree that we should implement it?
- what to do with variable-length structs


I've noticed that two files have mysteriously appeared in the Dsource 
repository, both added by rko:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/format
http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/README.txt

The latter is not to be confused with readme.txt.  Does anybody know how 
these got in here?

Stewart.

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/M d- s:-@ C++@ a->--- UB@ P+ L E@ W++@ N+++ o K-@ w++@ O? M V? PS- 
PE- Y? PGP- t- 5? X? R b DI? D G e++++ h-- r-- !y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on 
the 'group where everyone may benefit.
September 01, 2006
Re: The Windows API translation project has gone quiet
Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Once upon a time, this collaborative project to translate the Windows 
> API headers into D was quite active.
> 
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI
> 
> I think it had four or five contributors at one point.  But over the 
> last month or three, there have only been minor updates.
> 
> Of course, the core stuff has been translated, though not all polished. 
>  And I've just taken a few more modules.  I think it's time for 
> contributors, both new and old, to bring the project to life again.

That would be great.  If it helps, I would commit to having Ares using 
these libraries in future releases.

> I've noticed that two files have mysteriously appeared in the Dsource 
> repository, both added by rko:
> 
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/format
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/README.txt
> 
> The latter is not to be confused with readme.txt.  Does anybody know how 
> these got in here?

They look like accidental check-ins.  I say delete them :-p


Sean
September 02, 2006
Re: The Windows API translation project has gone quiet
Sean Kelly wrote:
>> I've noticed that two files have mysteriously appeared in the Dsource 
>> repository, both added by rko:
>>
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/format
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/README.txt
>>
>> The latter is not to be confused with readme.txt.  Does anybody know 
>> how these got in here?
> 
> They look like accidental check-ins.  I say delete them :-p

Yeah, it looks like an accident to me.

A bunch of random stuff seemed to be checked in for changeset 149:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/changeset/149

-- 
jcc7
September 02, 2006
Re: The Windows API translation project has gone quiet
Sean Kelly wrote:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> Once upon a time, this collaborative project to translate the Windows 
>> API headers into D was quite active.
>>
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI
>>
>> I think it had four or five contributors at one point.  But over the 
>> last month or three, there have only been minor updates.
>>
>> Of course, the core stuff has been translated, though not all 
>> polished.  And I've just taken a few more modules.  I think it's time 
>> for contributors, both new and old, to bring the project to life again.
> 
> That would be great.  If it helps, I would commit to having Ares using 
> these libraries in future releases.

Indeed.  And I would like to make SDWF use this translation sometime. 
Not sure whether to wait until it becomes part of Phobos.  Once that's 
done, maybe I'll make a start on making SDWF support Unicode.

>> I've noticed that two files have mysteriously appeared in the Dsource 
>> repository, both added by rko:
>>
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/format
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/README.txt
>>
>> The latter is not to be confused with readme.txt.  Does anybody know 
>> how these got in here?
> 
> They look like accidental check-ins.  I say delete them :-p

And I noticed a bit later that that changeset included a number of weird 
folders as well.

Stewart.

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/M d- s:-@ C++@ a->--- UB@ P+ L E@ W++@ N+++ o K-@ w++@ O? M V? PS- 
PE- Y? PGP- t- 5? X? R b DI? D G e++++ h-- r-- !y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on 
the 'group where everyone may benefit.
December 03, 2006
Re: The Windows API translation project has gone quiet
Speaking of translation... I wonder what purpose of fixed arrays of 1 
element? Such as BYTE[1] (vs just BYTE).

-- 
serg.
December 04, 2006
Re: The Windows API translation project has gone quiet
Serg Kovrov wrote:
> Speaking of translation... I wonder what purpose of fixed arrays of 1 
> element? Such as BYTE[1] (vs just BYTE).

They're a kludge to have a structure immediately followed by an array in 
memory.  The idea is that you allocate enough memory to contain the 
struct plus the array members beyond the first, and then access the 
array through the BYTE[1] member.

Because D has array bounds checking, which screws up this idea, the 
practice has been to translate these by naming the one-element array 
itself with a leading underscore and then defining a getter to turn this 
into a pointer.  There's been a bit of a debate about which approach to 
use - see the more recent thread "Getting back into translating the 
Win32 headers - anyone?"

Stewart.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home