Jump to page: 1 2 3
Thread overview
Hiring D programmers (with cryptography and blockchain knowledge are preferred)
Jul 13
wigy
Jul 13
Joakim
Jul 14
aberba
Jul 12
9il
Jul 12
Seb
Jul 12
Kagamin
Jul 12
István
Jul 12
Kagamin
Jul 12
István
Jul 12
Kagamin
July 12
* First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it should!

Hello!
I need a project, and I want it done with D (please note that it will be open-sourced, but I'll pay for the first functioning version).
It is supposed to be useful for users of the project AND for learners of D (so lots of comments in the source code are actually encouraged!).

It's a social media. More specifically, an incensurable social media; all it's posts will be stored in a blockchain, and this will be copied and distributed through the world. I had the idea after seeing that many political posts were being removed from Facebook and Twitter. They are controlling people's opinions and I don't like it. People should be free to say whatever they want, this is freedom of speech.

What has to be done by now should be the "blockchain" server of this social media.

The server should be somewhat easy, afterall... it should receive posts that are signed by the user, and store the post (with signature) if the signature corresponds to post's message and public key of the user.
Posts should have an id (so they can be sent upon request of that single post) and should be stored very orderly and organized according to poster (so they can be sent all at a time upon request of all posts posted by that user).
The server should send posts along with the posts' signatures so the client can verify them as well.

When the client sends a request to create an account, it should create the key-pair (either RSA 4096 or EC 512) and send the public key to the servers.

The user should be able to send or edit their data at anytime (names, nickname, email, phone, other social media, profile picture upto 2 MB, etc.).

Only the user should be able to delete his/her posts through a signed message to all servers.


So... basically, it's a Bitcoin, but instead of transactions, the blockchain should store posts and profiles. :) And it should have some additional features (the typical things of social media - profile picture, some optional information about the user, etc.).
And obviously, it is supposed to be written in D, instead of C++ like the Bitcoin.
I also think that this blockchain shouldn't be downloaded by the client like the Bitcoin does. Only the servers need it. Clients will download only the posts that it needs (and requests).

I think this will be a great project for teaching the D language; it has everything: internet conexion (sockets), cryptography, "databases" (it's not SQL, or Mongo, but it's a database anyway...).
And in the future, it will have a website (for teaching vibe.d) and a graphical client (for teaching dlangui - at least, I plan to use dlangui).
July 12
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
> * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it should!
>
> [...]

If you have any price proposal, please tell me.

* I will not participate directly in the project. I still didn't learn D enough to aventurate in a big project like this one...
July 12
Hi Vitor, ping me by email: ilyayaroshenko@gmail.com --Ilya

July 12
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
> * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it should!

There is https://dlang.org/orgs-using-d.html where companies using D can link to their hiring offers.
Please feel free to add your company to this page.
July 12
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
> The server should be somewhat easy, afterall... it should receive posts that are signed by the user, and store the post (with signature) if the signature corresponds to post's message and public key of the user.

From what I know about bitcoin, block computation is somewhat expensive there. How do you plan to reward the miners?
July 12
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
> * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it should!
>
> [...]

Hi Vitor,

we're also working on something quite similar already. We were thinking in slightly different technical directions, but we're still in the design phase, so nothing (language, storage, etc) are written in stone.

Are you interested in joining forces? If so, please ping my email:
jelszonak@gmail.com

best regards,
István
July 12
On 7/12/17 12:40 AM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
> * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it should!
> 
> Hello!
> I need a project, and I want it done with D (please note that it will be open-sourced, but I'll pay for the first functioning version).
> It is supposed to be useful for users of the project AND for learners of D (so lots of comments in the source code are actually encouraged!).
> 
> It's a social media. More specifically, an incensurable social media; all it's posts will be stored in a blockchain, and this will be copied and distributed through the world. I had the idea after seeing that many political posts were being removed from Facebook and Twitter. They are controlling people's opinions and I don't like it. People should be free to say whatever they want, this is freedom of speech.

Have you heard of https://gab.ai ? They are doing something similar (in terms of providing an uncensored platform).

-Steve
July 12
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 11:11:20 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> Have you heard of https://gab.ai ? They are doing something similar (in terms of providing an uncensored platform).

Another one is dreamwidth.org, it started as a reaction to tighter control too and has a permissive content policy.
July 12
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 12:12:29 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 11:11:20 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Have you heard of https://gab.ai ? They are doing something similar (in terms of providing an uncensored platform).
>
> Another one is dreamwidth.org, it started as a reaction to tighter control too and has a permissive content policy.

These are still centralized services which any time might decide to change to censorship or forced to shut down, then you lose access to your content the same way. Censorship-resistence can only be achieved by decentralized networks (like DHT, blockchain, etc) which have no classic governance/control and make attacks hard.
July 12
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 14:27:41 UTC, István wrote:
> These are still centralized services which any time might decide to change to censorship or forced to shut down, then you lose access to your content the same way.

I saw 4 such cases and it was always easier to setup a replica. And those replacements are already made with replication in mind.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3