Thread overview
plugins for Firefox or Thunderbird in D?
Nov 15, 2006
Marcio
Nov 15, 2006
John Demme
BOBEF has made some efforts, (not sure)
Nov 15, 2006
BLS
Nov 15, 2006
jcc7
Dec 04, 2006
bobef
November 15, 2006
Hi,

Has anybody tried writing either Firefox or Thunderbird plugins in D? Having to use C++ is just a no-no.

I know one can use JavaScript for plugins, but I think the possibilities are different from using C++. So, ideally I'd like the full extension API available, but use D.

Thanks,

marcio
November 15, 2006
Marcio wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Has anybody tried writing either Firefox or Thunderbird plugins in D? Having to use C++ is just a no-no.
> 
> I know one can use JavaScript for plugins, but I think the possibilities are different from using C++. So, ideally I'd like the full extension API available, but use D.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> marcio

I haven't done this, but I have looked into it, and I have some experience with writing FF extensions in JS (it sucks.)  Mozilla does everything- literally everything- with XPCOM.  XPCOM is natively C++, but other languages like Python, Java, and JS have ports of it.  Unfortunately, you can't just use C.

The first step to using D would be getting an XPCOM interface in D.  I had considered using BCD to wrap the C++ interface.  You might also look at how Java does it.

Once you've got the XPCOM interface working, your D program should be able to talk to all the other components in Mozilla, so you're mostly done.  You just need to figure out how to get Mozilla to load some D code.  I don't know how this is done in Windows, but I think in Linux, Mozilla will load shared objects, which DMD still can't generate (AFAIK.)

If you get it working, let me know!  Good luck.

-- 
~John Demme
me@teqdruid.com
http://www.teqdruid.com/
November 15, 2006
Sorry, I am not able to supply you with dedicated info. but probablely a guy named bobef has some code ... Have a look at D Links ->
AKIDE, lessthenequal ~~~~
hth Björn
Marcio schrieb:
> Hi,
> 
>     Has anybody tried writing either Firefox or Thunderbird plugins in D? Having to use C++ is just a no-no.
> 
>     I know one can use JavaScript for plugins, but I think the possibilities are different from using C++. So, ideally I'd like the full extension API available, but use D.
> 
>     Thanks,
> 
> marcio
November 15, 2006
== Quote from BLS (Killing_Zoe@web.de)'s article
> Sorry, I am not able to supply you with dedicated info. but probablely a
> guy named bobef has some code ... Have a look at D Links ->
> AKIDE, lessthenequal ~~~~

I think you're referring to "mozplugged" by bobef and this is the best link I could find:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/rulesplayer/wiki/mozplugged_home

> hth Björn
> Marcio schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     Has anybody tried writing either Firefox or Thunderbird plugins in
> > D? Having to use C++ is just a no-no.
> >
> >     I know one can use JavaScript for plugins, but I think the
> > possibilities are different from using C++. So, ideally I'd like the
> > full extension API available, but use D.
> >
> >     Thanks,
> >
> > marcio

December 04, 2006
Yes, but I haven't translated the XPCOM headers (*COM sucks in my opinion) so with what I've done you basically create a window or windowless plugin (windowless is not tested) and you do whatever you like with it in D. You have some degree of control over the browser, some events notifications - the plugin API is wrapped. Me personally wanted to create a MPlayer plugin and move my player to XUL to make it cross platform, but I gave up because of all these XPCOM interfaces are hell. But it worked - I got a working movie inside the browser and I was able to call D from javascript and vice versa...

BLS wrote:
> Sorry, I am not able to supply you with dedicated info. but probablely a guy named bobef has some code ... Have a look at D Links ->
> AKIDE, lessthenequal ~~~~
> hth Björn
> Marcio schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     Has anybody tried writing either Firefox or Thunderbird plugins in D? Having to use C++ is just a no-no.
>>
>>     I know one can use JavaScript for plugins, but I think the possibilities are different from using C++. So, ideally I'd like the full extension API available, but use D.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>> marcio