View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
November 20, 2006
Re: sslot version 0.2
Kirk McDonald wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> Lutger wrote:
>>> - Better compiler time error messages. I've included Don Clugston's 
>>> meta.nameof for this, I'm sure it has an open source license but I 
>>> couldn't find exactly which one.
>>
>> BSD. I'm working on an update which will cope with all situations (the 
>> one in DDL/meta doesn't work with local variables (it wasn't possible 
>> prior to 0.172), and fails in some (relatively obscure) circumstances).
> 
> Your Nameof module is turning out to be exceedingly useful. Pyd also 
> uses it. 

Delighted to hear it.

> I have some license questions/requests:
> 
> I would appreciate it if (in the future) you included the text of the 
> license at the top of the source files (in a plain comment, not a 
> doc-comment).

I really don't want to include the full text of the license. Would a 
link suffice?

> Second, Pyd itself is released under the MIT license. If Wikipedia's 
> rundown of the differences between the two is correct, then to comply 
> with the BSD license on Nameof I just need to include "meta.Nameof and 
> meta.Demangle are copyright (C) 2005-2006 Don Clugston" in Pyd's docs. 
> Is this correct?

Yes.

Really, all I want to do with the license is to provide reassurance that 
there will never be legal issues associated with the code. From what 
I've heard, BSD/MIT licenses are better than public domain for this.
November 20, 2006
Re: sslot version 0.2
Don Clugston wrote:
> Kirk McDonald wrote:
>> I would appreciate it if (in the future) you included the text of the 
>> license at the top of the source files (in a plain comment, not a 
>> doc-comment).
> 
> I really don't want to include the full text of the license. Would a 
> link suffice?
> 

Probably. If you look through the Pyd sources, you'll see that all of 
them include the text of the MIT license at the top. Putting the actual 
text of the license in there makes it that much more explicit. It's just 
a style thing, though, so I won't stress too much about it.

>> Second, Pyd itself is released under the MIT license. If Wikipedia's 
>> rundown of the differences between the two is correct, then to comply 
>> with the BSD license on Nameof I just need to include "meta.Nameof and 
>> meta.Demangle are copyright (C) 2005-2006 Don Clugston" in Pyd's docs. 
>> Is this correct?
> 
> Yes.
> 
> Really, all I want to do with the license is to provide reassurance that 
> there will never be legal issues associated with the code. From what 
> I've heard, BSD/MIT licenses are better than public domain for this.

I agree. It's why Pyd is MIT licensed. :-)

-- 
Kirk McDonald
Pyd: Wrapping Python with D
http://pyd.dsource.org
November 20, 2006
Re: sslot version 0.2
Kirk McDonald wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> Kirk McDonald wrote:
>>> I would appreciate it if (in the future) you included the text of the 
>>> license at the top of the source files (in a plain comment, not a 
>>> doc-comment).
>>
>> I really don't want to include the full text of the license. Would a 
>> link suffice?
>>
> 
> Probably. If you look through the Pyd sources, you'll see that all of 
> them include the text of the MIT license at the top. Putting the actual 
> text of the license in there makes it that much more explicit. It's just 
> a style thing, though, so I won't stress too much about it.
> 
>>> Second, Pyd itself is released under the MIT license. If Wikipedia's 
>>> rundown of the differences between the two is correct, then to comply 
>>> with the BSD license on Nameof I just need to include "meta.Nameof 
>>> and meta.Demangle are copyright (C) 2005-2006 Don Clugston" in Pyd's 
>>> docs. Is this correct?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Really, all I want to do with the license is to provide reassurance 
>> that there will never be legal issues associated with the code. From 
>> what I've heard, BSD/MIT licenses are better than public domain for this.
> 
> I agree. It's why Pyd is MIT licensed. :-)
> 

"Cos I don't want to be a container/Or a bastard with a ten page 
disclaimer/But these monsters..."
-- 
http://www.sigitas.com/artist_s/something_for_kate_lyrics/monsters_lyrics.html
November 20, 2006
Re: sslot version 0.2
Don Clugston wrote:
> Really, all I want to do with the license is to provide reassurance that 
> there will never be legal issues associated with the code. From what 
> I've heard, BSD/MIT licenses are better than public domain for this.

What is the problem with public domain?
Can GPL software use BSD licensed components? Some sites claim it can't 
because of the advertising clause, but then there are a couple of BSD 
licenses.
November 20, 2006
Re: sslot version 0.2
Lutger wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> Really, all I want to do with the license is to provide reassurance 
>> that there will never be legal issues associated with the code. From 
>> what I've heard, BSD/MIT licenses are better than public domain for this.
> 
> What is the problem with public domain?
> Can GPL software use BSD licensed components? Some sites claim it can't 
> because of the advertising clause, but then there are a couple of BSD 
> licenses.

Those sites are talking about the _old_ BSD license. The new BSD license 
is identical except that problematic clause is removed.
IIRC, Linux contains quite a bit of (new) BSD-licensed code, and is GPL.
November 22, 2006
Re: sslot version 0.2
Lutger wrote:

> What is the problem with public domain?

To quote Lawrence Rosen:

“... there is no mechanism for waiving a copyright that merely subsists, 
and there is no accepted way to dedicate an original work of authorship 
to the public domain before the copyright term for that work expires. A 
license is the only recognized way to authorize others to undertake the 
authors’ exclusive copyright rights.”

_Open Source Licensing / Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law_
Lawrence Rosen
p.74 http://www.rosenlaw.com/Rosen_Ch05.pdf


Best regards,
Bastiaan.
December 06, 2006
sslot version 0.2 update (bugfix)
Lutger wrote:
> I've uploaded a new version using the features of D since 0.173. Perhaps 
> it is useful to those who want return values and other callable types 
> than delegates from objects in their signals:
> 
> http://lutger.ifastnet.com
<snip>

Not sure if anybody is using it, but there was a bug fixed (array bounds 
error of all things...)
Next ›   Last »
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home