Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
October 19
Hi.

I wrote down a few things I am doing for covid preparedness and thought I should share them here. It was written hurriedly for internal use, but maybe it could be interesting to others.

PRs welcomed.

https://github.com/symmetry-covid/personal-plan


Laeeth
October 20
A couple lessons we learned in NZ that worked extremely well:

Hand sanitizer at every chance you can get (i.e. every time you enter a building, use it).

Distance yourself, 2 meters.


What we didn't do until much later (but by the looks of things, if it gets bad we would have no choice): masks. This is preventative. You will not know that you have COVID-19 until it is too late.

Last but no less important: Stay at home! If you are not perfectly healthy, keep away from others.


We had a non existent flu season this year because of all these measures.

Is Symmetry offering the hand sanitizer and where possible encouraging social distancing within their offices?
October 20
On Monday, 19 October 2020 at 23:34:50 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I wrote down a few things I am doing for covid preparedness
...
> https://github.com/symmetry-covid/personal-plan
>
>
> Laeeth

Good to see you made it through, and thanks for sharing your findings. Good job preventing the infection of your family members!

Bastiaan
October 20
Laeeth,

> PRs welcomed.
> 
> https://github.com/symmetry-covid/personal-plan
> 

It is perhaps worth noting that there has been a shortage in some areas of the UK of some of the reagents for doing many of the biochemistry (yellow SST vial) tests associated with many "blood test" in the last few weeks. This has had a huge effect on managing prostate cancer in the last few weeks, and indeeed any other cancer that requires bone and renal profiles – though I can only speak directly about managing prostate cancer. This does not affect full blood count (Lavender vial).

The demand for biochemistry blood tests country-wide seems (at first sight, more investigation needed to get actual facts) to have led to NHS not being able to support people currently in treatment. :-(

-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk



October 20
Laeeth,

It is also worth noting that we currently appear to have a UK national shortage of sensible (*) Vitamin D supplements. Sad for those of us that know we need the supplement but now can't get them. :-(

(*) And even the useless ones. :-( :-(

-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk



October 20
Laeeth,

I hope you are now feeling well after your foray with Covid-19, and especially that you do not have any signs at all of "Long Covid".


-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk



October 20
On Monday, 19 October 2020 at 23:34:50 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>
> https://github.com/symmetry-covid/personal-plan
>
>
> Laeeth

Interesting thanks for the experimentation! At this point Vit D seems like a good contender to lessen impact of COVID, as multiple studies have demonstrated. The adverse effect is likely inexistant as 60% of people are in need of more vit D anyway.
October 20
On Tuesday, 20 October 2020 at 11:13:20 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Laeeth,
>
> I hope you are now feeling well after your foray with Covid-19, and especially that you do not have any signs at all of "Long Covid".

you've been infected Laeeth?
October 20
On Tuesday, 20 October 2020 at 18:44:20 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 October 2020 at 11:13:20 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> Laeeth,
>>
>> I hope you are now feeling well after your foray with Covid-19, and especially that you do not have any signs at all of "Long Covid".
>
> you've been infected Laeeth?

I'have been By the the throat.
My immune sustem just fought very well.
October 22
On Monday, 19 October 2020 at 23:55:57 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> A couple lessons we learned in NZ that worked extremely well:
>
> Hand sanitizer at every chance you can get (i.e. every time you enter a building, use it).
>
> Distance yourself, 2 meters.
>
>
> What we didn't do until much later (but by the looks of things, if it gets bad we would have no choice): masks. This is preventative. You will not know that you have COVID-19 until it is too late.
>
> Last but no less important: Stay at home! If you are not perfectly healthy, keep away from others.
>
>
> We had a non existent flu season this year because of all these measures.
>
> Is Symmetry offering the hand sanitizer and where possible encouraging social distancing within their offices?

Without discussing internal affairs too much, infer as you see fit:

I haven't been in person to a Symmetry office since the end of February. I have moved >100 miles drive away from the office and have no regrets. If I catch covid, it won't be from a colleague.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2