View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
February 26, 2007
D Conference 2007 ?
The posting in D.announce 11/16/06

Anything new about this?
February 26, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ?
Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
> The posting in D.announce 11/16/06

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.announce&article_id=5536
for those that like the web interface


> Anything new about this?

Well, all I know is what people posted in that old thread.

Some people showed interest in attending such a conference, but there 
was much disagreement about where it should be held. Walter proposed 
having it in Seattle, Washington or Astoria, Oregon, but that seemed 
like too expensive of a trip for most people that responded in the 
newsgroup.

Other places were mentioned by other people. In short, everywhere seemed 
to be too far away (i.e., too expensive) for most people (i.e. whoever 
doesn't already live there).

-- 
jcc7
February 26, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ? How about co-location?
Justin C Calvarese wrote:
> Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
>> The posting in D.announce 11/16/06
> 
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.announce&article_id=5536 
> 
> for those that like the web interface
> 
> 
>> Anything new about this?
> 
> Well, all I know is what people posted in that old thread.
> 
> Some people showed interest in attending such a conference, but there 
> was much disagreement about where it should be held. Walter proposed 
> having it in Seattle, Washington or Astoria, Oregon, but that seemed 
> like too expensive of a trip for most people that responded in the 
> newsgroup.
> 
> Other places were mentioned by other people. In short, everywhere seemed 
> to be too far away (i.e., too expensive) for most people (i.e. whoever 
> doesn't already live there).
> 

D may be too small at the moment to really be able to swing a dedicated 
conference.  But the alternative is to co-locate with a bigger 
conference that lots of people will be going to anyway, then hold a 
"Birds of a Feather" meeting on site or nearby.

The only big conference I go to is SIGGRAPH, but I suspect that's a 
destination not too many of you are headed for.  FWIW, it'll be in San 
Diego this August 5-9.  But I'd definitely be interested in having a D 
Birds of a Feather there if anyone else is interested.

So what conferences are everyone going to attend this year?  SD West is 
maybe popular?  GDC (not the compiler)?

--bb
February 26, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ? How about co-location?
Bill Baxter wrote:
> 
> So what conferences are everyone going to attend this year?

Probably none :-)  A floor pass isn't worth the trip, and conference 
passes are absurdly expensive.  If there were a D gathering somewhere I 
might travel to that and swing by a nearby conference if one is going 
on, but not the reverse.


Sean
February 27, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ?
Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
> The posting in D.announce 11/16/06
> 
> Anything new about this?

Yes. Looks like it will be in Seattle in September. Specific dates are 
unspecified, but it'll be a two day affair. Admission will be free.
February 27, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ?
> Yes. Looks like it will be in Seattle in September. Specific dates are
> unspecified, but it'll be a two day affair. Admission will be free.

wow, thats coool.
February 27, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ?
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:12:14 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
>> The posting in D.announce 11/16/06
>> 
>> Anything new about this?
> 
> Yes. Looks like it will be in Seattle in September. Specific dates are 
> unspecified, but it'll be a two day affair. Admission will be free.


That may be a good time.  I have relatives in Seattle anyway. :)

-JJR
February 27, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ? How about co-location?
Bill Baxter wrote:
> Justin C Calvarese wrote:
>> Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
>>> The posting in D.announce 11/16/06
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.announce&article_id=5536 
>>
>> for those that like the web interface
>>
>>
>>> Anything new about this?
>>
>> Well, all I know is what people posted in that old thread.
>>
>> Some people showed interest in attending such a conference, but there 
>> was much disagreement about where it should be held. Walter proposed 
>> having it in Seattle, Washington or Astoria, Oregon, but that seemed 
>> like too expensive of a trip for most people that responded in the 
>> newsgroup.
>>
>> Other places were mentioned by other people. In short, everywhere 
>> seemed to be too far away (i.e., too expensive) for most people (i.e. 
>> whoever doesn't already live there).
>>
> 
> D may be too small at the moment to really be able to swing a dedicated 
> conference.  But the alternative is to co-locate with a bigger 
> conference that lots of people will be going to anyway, then hold a 
> "Birds of a Feather" meeting on site or nearby.
> 
> The only big conference I go to is SIGGRAPH, but I suspect that's a 
> destination not too many of you are headed for.  FWIW, it'll be in San 
> Diego this August 5-9.  But I'd definitely be interested in having a D 
> Birds of a Feather there if anyone else is interested.
> 
> So what conferences are everyone going to attend this year?  SD West is 
> maybe popular?  GDC (not the compiler)?
> 
> --bb

I'll by attending GDC (Game developers conference), this year.  They are 
right next door and the company I work for is paying for it :)

-JOel
February 27, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ?
Reply to Walter,

> Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
> 
>> The posting in D.announce 11/16/06
>> 
>> Anything new about this?
>> 
> Yes. Looks like it will be in Seattle in September. Specific dates are
> unspecified, but it'll be a two day affair. Admission will be free.
> 

I'd try hard to get to a D conference, (I'm a few hours drive from Seattle) 
I might even be able to talk some other people into going.

BTW would it be a weekend thing?
February 27, 2007
Re: D Conference 2007 ?
Ping: Portlanders to car-pool?

 - Gregor Richards
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home