Thread overview
LDC 1.5.0
Nov 03
kinke
Nov 04
kinke
Nov 04
Joakim
Nov 04
Joakim
November 03
Hi everyone,

on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to finally officially announce LDC 1.5. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:

* Based on D 2.075.1.
* Polished LLVM 5.0 support (now also used for the prebuilt release packages).
* Prebuilt ARM-Linux package available again.
* New command-line option `-linker` and ~25 new advanced ones for codegen fine-tuning.
* Bugfixes, as always.

Full release log and downloads: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.5.0

Thanks to all contributors!

[LDC master is at v2.076.1, so LDC 1.6 won't take long.]
November 03
On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 17:17:04 UTC, kinke wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to finally officially announce LDC 1.5. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:
>
> * Based on D 2.075.1.
> * Polished LLVM 5.0 support (now also used for the prebuilt release packages).
> * Prebuilt ARM-Linux package available again.
> * New command-line option `-linker` and ~25 new advanced ones for codegen fine-tuning.
> * Bugfixes, as always.
>
> Full release log and downloads: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.5.0
>
> Thanks to all contributors!
>
> [LDC master is at v2.076.1, so LDC 1.6 won't take long.]

Great!

Does `-link-internally` mean that you don't require command line tool/dev installation for OS X and Windows? That would be awesome for getting workshops for non-programmers (the biologists at my Uni) to work.

November 04
On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 23:50:33 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> Does `-link-internally` mean that you don't require command line tool/dev installation for OS X and Windows? That would be awesome for getting workshops for non-programmers (the biologists at my Uni) to work.

You still need the system libraries to link against, unfortunately.

 — David
November 04
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 at 00:14:59 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 23:50:33 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>> Does `-link-internally` mean that you don't require command line tool/dev installation for OS X and Windows? That would be awesome for getting workshops for non-programmers (the biologists at my Uni) to work.
>
> You still need the system libraries to link against, unfortunately.

And `-link-internally` is currently restricted to MSVC targets. https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/2203 enables ELF and Mach-O output too, but for those targets you'll most likely need a lot of extra linker flags.
November 04
On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 17:17:04 UTC, kinke wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to finally officially announce LDC 1.5. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:
>

Great stuff.

No binary release for FreeBSD though??

:-(

November 04
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 at 02:43:35 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 17:17:04 UTC, kinke wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to finally officially announce LDC 1.5. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:
>>
>
> Great stuff.
>
> No binary release for FreeBSD though??
>
> :-(

There were some in the recent past, last done for the 1.2 release and 1.3 beta1:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases

Unfortunately, almost nobody was downloading them:

http://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=ldc-developers&repository=ldc

Maybe FreeBSD users prefer using the package from ports, though it hasn't kept up:

https://www.freshports.org/lang/ldc/

It is fairly easy to compile ldc yourself:

https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source
November 04
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 at 08:40:19 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> It is fairly easy to compile ldc yourself:
>
> https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source

Have you tried those instructions on 'FreeBSD'?

Have you ever had to deal with pkg conflicts in FreeBSD?

I have ;-(

November 04
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 at 08:44:12 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 November 2017 at 08:40:19 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> It is fairly easy to compile ldc yourself:
>>
>> https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source
>
> Have you tried those instructions on 'FreeBSD'?

Not those instructions maybe, but I wrote the first ports script for FreeBSD back in 2010, so I have built ldc there:

https://www.freshports.org/lang/ldc-devel

> Have you ever had to deal with pkg conflicts in FreeBSD?
>
> I have ;-(

Can't say that ever really hit me, not sure how it's relevant to building ldc either.
November 05
On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 17:17:04 UTC, kinke wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to finally officially announce LDC 1.5. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:
>
> * Based on D 2.075.1.
> * Polished LLVM 5.0 support (now also used for the prebuilt release packages).
> * Prebuilt ARM-Linux package available again.
> * New command-line option `-linker` and ~25 new advanced ones for codegen fine-tuning.
> * Bugfixes, as always.
>
> Full release log and downloads: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.5.0
>
> Thanks to all contributors!
>
> [LDC master is at v2.076.1, so LDC 1.6 won't take long.]

Great work by the LDC team! Thanks to all the LTO work in 1.4 and 1.5, the Travis-CI builds of the eBay TSV utilities are LTO enabled for Phobos & Druntime as well as the application code. This is for both Linux and OS X builds. Couldn't do that before the LDC 1.5 release.

The OS X executables are materially faster with the end-to-end LTO support. I haven't benchmarked the Linux versions yet. It would be very interesting to have get benchmark numbers from other apps, especially those making material use of phobos.
November 07
On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 17:17:04 UTC, kinke wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to finally officially announce LDC 1.5. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:
>
> * Based on D 2.075.1.
> * Polished LLVM 5.0 support (now also used for the prebuilt release packages).
> * Prebuilt ARM-Linux package available again.
> * New command-line option `-linker` and ~25 new advanced ones for codegen fine-tuning.
> * Bugfixes, as always.
>
> Full release log and downloads: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.5.0
>
> Thanks to all contributors!
>
> [LDC master is at v2.076.1, so LDC 1.6 won't take long.]

Good news. And thank you all for arm release! :)