View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
January 28, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Walter Bright wrote:
> - I liked the original Tango logo better (the one with the two dancers)

Me too.  More evocative than the current one.
January 28, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:41:28 -0500, Christopher Wright wrote:

> Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
>> Yes, that really should be in sync with Firefox 2.0.0.11.  It's using
>> Gecko 1.8.1.11, which is the right tree and version.
>> 
>> Does anything happen if you change your theme (I have no idea if Debian
>> ships winstripe but any other theme just to test is fine.)  Also, I
>> assume you've made no changes to userContent.css or userChrome.css?
>> Does it help to start Firefox in safe mode?
>> 
>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/#troubleshooting
>> 
>> -[Unknown]
> 
> Using Firefox 2.0.0.11 gets rid of the problem, using what's supposedly
> the same build of Gecko. It's an Iceweasel-specific problem; the Debian
> people fscked it up.
> 
> A pity; the Iceweasel icon's cuter. I shall survive.

I'm on Debian with Iceweasel, and have had no such problem.
January 28, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Bah, what can you do <g>

A number of us found that original image to be "perfect" but we found it was 
very hard to work into a different theme (too big, for one thing). There was 
also a copyright issue, but we could have made our own version instead and 
(naturally) made a trip to Venice just to get it looking right. I personally 
enjoyed the grafitti on the wall :)

BTW: if anyone wishes to be web-meister for the Tango site, please feel 
free!

- Kris



"David Gileadi" <foo@bar.com> wrote in message 
news:fnl18i$2fcu$1@digitalmars.com...
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> - I liked the original Tango logo better (the one with the two dancers)
>
> Me too.  More evocative than the current one.
January 29, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:41:28 -0500, Christopher Wright wrote:
> 
>> Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
>>> Yes, that really should be in sync with Firefox 2.0.0.11.  It's using
>>> Gecko 1.8.1.11, which is the right tree and version.
>>>
>>> Does anything happen if you change your theme (I have no idea if Debian
>>> ships winstripe but any other theme just to test is fine.)  Also, I
>>> assume you've made no changes to userContent.css or userChrome.css?
>>> Does it help to start Firefox in safe mode?
>>>
>>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/#troubleshooting
>>>
>>> -[Unknown]
>> Using Firefox 2.0.0.11 gets rid of the problem, using what's supposedly
>> the same build of Gecko. It's an Iceweasel-specific problem; the Debian
>> people fscked it up.
>>
>> A pity; the Iceweasel icon's cuter. I shall survive.
> 
> I'm on Debian with Iceweasel, and have had no such problem.

Then it's a problem unique to my system, which was a vanilla install of 
Debian testing as of three days ago.
January 29, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Kris wrote:
> Bah, what can you do <g>

The problem with the winged one is it looks like Air Force insignia. The 
tango dance is characterized by aggressive staccato, precision movement, 
and the logo should reflect that, not flying <g>.

> A number of us found that original image to be "perfect" but we found it was 
> very hard to work into a different theme (too big, for one thing). There was 
> also a copyright issue, but we could have made our own version instead and 
> (naturally) made a trip to Venice just to get it looking right. I personally 
> enjoyed the grafitti on the wall :)

Do a google image search on tango, and I think you'll find a lot of 
great inspiration for a logo!
January 29, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Walter Bright wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>> Bah, what can you do <g>
> 
> The problem with the winged one is it looks like Air Force insignia. The 
> tango dance is characterized by aggressive staccato, precision movement, 
> and the logo should reflect that, not flying <g>.

It made me think of motorcycle gangs.  Maybe a lot of them are ex-airforce?

--bb
January 29, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Walter Bright wrote:

> Kris wrote:
>> Bah, what can you do <g>
> 
> The problem with the winged one is it looks like Air Force insignia. The
> tango dance is characterized by aggressive staccato, precision movement,
> and the logo should reflect that, not flying <g>.
> 
>> A number of us found that original image to be "perfect" but we found it
>> was very hard to work into a different theme (too big, for one thing).
>> There was also a copyright issue, but we could have made our own version
>> instead and (naturally) made a trip to Venice just to get it looking
>> right. I personally enjoyed the grafitti on the wall :)
> 
> Do a google image search on tango, and I think you'll find a lot of
> great inspiration for a logo!

As mentioned before, the dancing logos had issues. We were looking for a
logo that could represent power, speed and elegance, much like the dance
and thus a reason for Tango being used as a name for the library. I feel
the new logo represents all those traits nicely.

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
January 29, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Lars Ivar Igesund pisze:

> As mentioned before, the dancing logos had issues. We were looking for a
> logo that could represent power, speed and elegance, much like the dance
> and thus a reason for Tango being used as a name for the library. I feel
> the new logo represents all those traits nicely.

Well, I would say that name and logo together represents a lack of 
cohesion... And I think that it is unintended, isn't it? ;-)

BR
Marcin Kuszczak
(aarti_pl)
January 29, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Aarti_pl wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund pisze:
> 
>> As mentioned before, the dancing logos had issues. We were looking for a
>> logo that could represent power, speed and elegance, much like the dance
>> and thus a reason for Tango being used as a name for the library. I feel
>> the new logo represents all those traits nicely.
> 
> Well, I would say that name and logo together represents a lack of
> cohesion... And I think that it is unintended, isn't it? ;-)

A logo is about connotations, not cohesion. The latter can be nice, but is
rather uncommon with logos in general. The unusual aspect here may be that
images exist that match Tango, but they still don't make for good logos.

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
January 29, 2008
Re: Website changes/updates
Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

> Aarti_pl wrote:
> 
>> Lars Ivar Igesund pisze:
>> 
>>> As mentioned before, the dancing logos had issues. We were looking for a
>>> logo that could represent power, speed and elegance, much like the dance
>>> and thus a reason for Tango being used as a name for the library. I feel
>>> the new logo represents all those traits nicely.
>> 
>> Well, I would say that name and logo together represents a lack of
>> cohesion... And I think that it is unintended, isn't it? ;-)
> 
> A logo is about connotations, not cohesion. The latter can be nice, but is
> rather uncommon with logos in general. The unusual aspect here may be that
> images exist that match Tango, but they still don't make for good logos.

I should add that such a logo _may_ exist, but we have yet to see it. The
only viable alternatives to the current one in this round, were fully
abstract logos.

Note that those saying the logo reminds them of cars, planes or motorcycles
hits up on the same fact that made us choose the logo; the motive has been
used in logos for such products and I would guess for the exact same
reasons - the wings represents power, speed and elegance. Having wings as a
logo for a motorcycle isn't cohesive either right?

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
1 2 3 4 5
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home