View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
February 18, 2008
Well I'm progressing -slowly
After analising the command line sent for a small example program I am trying to compile I have found that my dmd command is having trouble . Probably any one of you could have explained this had you trie a little harder .

Anyway here is the latest output

[tytower@linuxbox dwt-linux]$ dmd MyStuff/main.d
gcc main.o -o main -m32 -Xlinker -L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltango-base-dmd -lpthread -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1

Now all of the libraries are and were there all the time , albeit in /usr/lib/  for the majority and in /lib/ for the libm,so.6 which is linked to libm-2.4.so.

In the error noted above however the "ld" cannot find it. Now without all the other extraneous b/s of versions etc , surely someone can suggest why this might be.

I have tried copying bth the libm file and link into /usr/lib to no avail.

If it seems like I am rude ,it is because I have been on this ,on and off for more than a week and I tend to call bullshit for what it is.
February 18, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
Hi Ty,

Have you got the static variants of those libraries installed? (i.e.
libm.a)  Seems you are doing a static link using dynamic libraries..

On Debian, these are found in package "libc6-dev", other distros will
have them elsewhere.


David.

On 2/18/08, Ty Tower <tytower@hotmail.com.au> wrote:
> After analising the command line sent for a small example program I am trying to compile I have found that my dmd command is having trouble . Probably any one of you could have explained this had you trie a little harder .
>
> Anyway here is the latest output
>
> [tytower@linuxbox dwt-linux]$ dmd MyStuff/main.d
> gcc main.o -o main -m32 -Xlinker -L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltango-base-dmd -lpthread -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> --- errorlevel 1
>
> Now all of the libraries are and were there all the time , albeit in /usr/lib/  for the majority and in /lib/ for the libm,so.6 which is linked to libm-2.4.so.
>
> In the error noted above however the "ld" cannot find it. Now without all the other extraneous b/s of versions etc , surely someone can suggest why this might be.
>
> I have tried copying bth the libm file and link into /usr/lib to no avail.
>
> If it seems like I am rude ,it is because I have been on this ,on and off for more than a week and I tend to call bullshit for what it is.
>
>
>
February 18, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:31:58 -0500, Ty Tower wrote:

> After analising the command line sent for a small example program I am
> trying to compile I have found that my dmd command is having trouble .
> Probably any one of you could have explained this had you trie a little
> harder .
> 
> Anyway here is the latest output
> 
> [tytower@linuxbox dwt-linux]$ dmd MyStuff/main.d gcc main.o -o main -m32
> -Xlinker -L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltango-base-dmd -lpthread
> -lm /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> --- errorlevel 1
> 
> Now all of the libraries are and were there all the time , albeit in
> /usr/lib/  for the majority and in /lib/ for the libm,so.6 which is
> linked to libm-2.4.so.
> 
> In the error noted above however the "ld" cannot find it. Now without
> all the other extraneous b/s of versions etc , surely someone can
> suggest why this might be.
> 
> I have tried copying bth the libm file and link into /usr/lib to no
> avail.
> 
> If it seems like I am rude ,it is because I have been on this ,on and
> off for more than a week and I tend to call bullshit for what it is.

Ty Tower,
I am sorry to say that I do not see how you could be progressing -slowly. 
You see I just looked through all of your other compile errors, and not 
one was having a problem finding -lm. This tells me that instead of 
progressing forward, your doing it backwards.

I do commend you for taking to the time to understand what the linker is 
doing and trying to figure out what you don't understand. (Your post was 
much more concise and polite in d.learn).

To recap:
[tytower@linuxbox import]$ dmd ./test_gridlayout.d
/usr/bin/../src/phobos/std/c/windows/windows.d(12): static assert  is
false

Wrong DWT



dwt/dwtexamples/helloworld/HelloWorld1 -m32 -Xlinker --start-group
-lphobos -lcairo -lglib-2.0 -ldl -lgmodule-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lpango-1.0
-lXfixes -lX11 -lXdamage -lXcomposite -lXcursor -lXrandr -lXi -lXinerama
-lXrender -lXext -lXtst -lfontconfig -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgthread-2.0
-lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -Xlinker -L./
-Xlinker -L/usr/lib/ -Xlinker -L/usr/lib -Xlinker -L/root/d/lib -Xlinker
-L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltangobos -Xlinker -L/usr/bin/../lib
-ltango-user-dmd -ltangobos -ltango-base-dmd -lpthread -lm
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x0):
multiple definition of `MAP_FAILED'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.sys.mman.o.data+0x1c): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x4):
multiple definition of `FD_SETSIZE'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.sys.select.o.data+0x4): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0xc):
multiple definition of `RTLD_NOW'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.dlfcn.o.data+0x4): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x10):
multiple definition of `_SIGSET_NWORDS'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.signal.o.data+0x40): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXdamage
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1

conflicting tango and phobos



/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x0):
multiple definition of `MAP_FAILED'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.sys.mman.o.data+0x1c): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x4):
multiple definition of `FD_SETSIZE'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.sys.select.o.data+0x4): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0xc):
multiple definition of `RTLD_NOW'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.dlfcn.o.data+0x4): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x10):
multiple definition of `_SIGSET_NWORDS'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.signal.o.data+0x40): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXdamage
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Conflicting tango and Phobos



d/lib -Xlinker -L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltangobos -Xlinker
-L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltangobos -ltango-base-dmd -lpthread
-lm
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x0):
multiple definition of `MAP_FAILED'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.sys.mman.o.data+0x1c): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x4):
multiple definition of `FD_SETSIZE'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.sys.select.o.data+0x4): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0xc):
multiple definition of `RTLD_NOW'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.dlfcn.o.data+0x4): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../libphobos.a
(linux.o).data+0x10):
multiple definition of `_SIGSET_NWORDS'
dsss_objs/D/tango.stdc.posix.signal.o.data+0x40): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXdamage
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Conflicting tango and phobos, yes these end with cannot find -lXdamage, 
on problem can propagate another. (Life of a programmer)



[tytower@linuxbox dwt-linux]$ dmd main.d gcc main.o -o main -m32 -Xlinker
-L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltango-base-dmd -lpthread -lm
main.o.data+0x38): undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets7Display12__ModuleInfoZ' main.o.data+0x3c): undefined
reference to `_D3dwt7widgets5Shell12__ModuleInfoZ' main.o: In function
`_Dmain':
main.d.text._Dmain+0x8): undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets7Display7Display7__ClassZ' main.d.text._Dmain+0x13):
undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets7Display7Display5_ctorMFZC3dwt7widgets7Display7Display'
main.d.text._Dmain+0x1b): undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets5Shell5Shell7__ClassZ' main.d.text._Dmain+0x29):
undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets5Shell5Shell5_ctorMFC3dwt7widgets7Display7DisplayZC3dwt7widgets5Shell5Shell'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Could not find reference to needed libraries, you used dmd instead of 
dsss or rebuild, so the proper -l flags were not added.



[tytower@linuxbox dwt-linux]$ dmd MyStuff/main.d gcc main.o -o main -m32
-Xlinker -L/usr/bin/../lib -ltango-user-dmd -ltango-base-dmd -lpthread -lm
main.o.data+0x38): undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets7Display12__ModuleInfoZ' main.o.data+0x3c): undefined
reference to `_D3dwt7widgets5Shell12__ModuleInfoZ' main.o: In function
`_Dmain':
MyStuff/main.d.text._Dmain+0x8): undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets7Display7Display7__ClassZ'
MyStuff/main.d.text._Dmain+0x13): undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets7Display7Display5_ctorMFZC3dwt7widgets7Display7Display'
MyStuff/main.d.text._Dmain+0x1b): undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets5Shell5Shell7__ClassZ' MyStuff/main.d.text._Dmain+0x29):
undefined reference to
`_D3dwt7widgets5Shell5Shell5_ctorMFC3dwt7widgets7Display7DisplayZC3dwt7widgets5Shell5Shell'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Exactly the same as the last one, no change in operation what-so-ever.



Now had -lm been missing everything would have stopped where you 
currently are stuck. So please don't claim BS, don't disregard are 
statements of improper versions. Surprisingly I'm still willing to help, 
but only if this ignorant bashing of help stops. You may not even want my 
help anymore, but I don't think anyone will be helping you if you 
continue with your current methods.
February 18, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
Jesse I'll have a look at what you have said however plaease take note - this is exactly what I am saying ;  You post without thinking

As I am finding ,understanding and correcting problems in my command line the compiler is getting further and further through before throwing in the towel.  The output therefore changes. I beleive I am now on the last of it and the next post offers me a course of investigation whereas your post wants to knock -as have most of your posts.
February 18, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
David Wilson Wrote:

> Hi Ty,
> 
> Have you got the static variants of those libraries installed? (i.e.
> libm.a)  Seems you are doing a static link using dynamic libraries..
> 
> On Debian, these are found in package "libc6-dev", other distros will
> have them elsewhere.
> 
> 
> David.

Thanks David . No I have  only the .so. version. I am  intrigued by your comment that I am doing a static link using dynamic libraries . Can you expand on that please .
How would the command line change to use dynamic libraries?
Rather than do a lot of typing can you point me to a site that explains the difference ?
February 18, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:22:45 -0500, Ty Tower wrote:

> Jesse I'll have a look at what you have said however plaease take note -
> this is exactly what I am saying ;  You post without thinking
> 
> As I am finding ,understanding and correcting problems in my command
> line the compiler is getting further and further through before throwing
> in the towel.  The output therefore changes. I beleive I am now on the
> last of it and the next post offers me a course of investigation whereas
> your post wants to knock -as have most of your posts.

I am confused on your accusation here, are you saying that my posts have 
no thought because I don't read your posts? If that is your claim it is a 
lie, as I have read ever post of yours and every post replying to your 
posts. Not only that, but I have compared my own knowledge with those 
responses to see if anything needed corrected or added. I have even taken 
time to see how accurate your accusations have been. I feel I have put a 
lot of thought into my posts.

As stated before, your last posted problem is not a step forward. Running 
into an inability find a needed linked file is at the first stages of 
linking. Your other problems had already gone past this stage and run 
into duplicate definitions.

The last think you bring up is that most of my posts have been to "knock" 
yours. This first group has been purely help:

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.dwt&article_id=623

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.dwt&article_id=636

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.dwt&article_id=681

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.dwt&article_id=722


Then we have the group of informative and "knocking," the last on 
starting with help, but mostly explaining way we made suggestions, after 
having been accused of not putting thoughts into our posts.

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.dwt&article_id=662

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.dwt&article_id=733


This final group has provided you with no help, but instead trying to 
demonstrate that your frustration with our help has been related own 
misunderstanding of the problem and not ours.

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.dwt&article_id=740

And of course this Current post.


These post have come about not because of your still needing help, or 
creating new problems, but because of your continued hostility to those 
that have already provided you with help. As I do not want to be accused 
of not thinking I will have to explain way said line is hostile: 

"Probably any one of you could have explained this had you trie a little 
harder ."

You say we just needed to try a little harder. This would suggest that if 
we looked at the output from your command we could have explained why you 
might have been missing -lm. This conclusion is supported by the added:

"Now without all the other extraneous b/s of versions etc , surely 
someone can suggest why this might be."

Now had you politely return here with this new problem requesting help, I 
would have seen no reason to have corrected you incorrect accusation. I 
set for to correct this by providing all of the output you gave us, to 
show you that at no point did a problem with -lm show up. I ask how does 
that not show thought?

In final hopes of resolution, you will note that only with this post have 
I hit the 50/50 mark for hostile postings. I suppose to round this off as 
hostile, I could through in the hostile postings you have had, but I did 
not see that as the purpose of this posting.
February 19, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
David Wilson wrote:
> Hi Ty,
> 
> Have you got the static variants of those libraries installed? (i.e.
> libm.a)  Seems you are doing a static link using dynamic libraries..
> 
> On Debian, these are found in package "libc6-dev", other distros will
> have them elsewhere.
> 
> 
> David.
> 


On Linux, linking is exactly the same for static and dynamic libraries. 
 This is one of the advantages of the linux system.  There is no dll or 
import library complexity to deal with as there is on Windows.

The difference with the developer packages is that they usually supply 
both the static and dynamic libs without the postfix version numbers, 
They also supply the necessary C headers and documentation.

Some Linux distributions include the developer versions of the libraries 
by default.  Other distributions do not.  Ty might have to download 
these libs to get things working... which would explain a lot of the 
problems he's been having.

I notice also that the command line error complained "/usr/bin/ld: 
cannot find -lm"  which is odd.  It seems to be not interpreting the 
commandline flag: I would expect it to say "cannot find libm.a (or 
libm.so).  But I'm not certain.  Nonetheless the compiler is looking for 
the the non-version decorated libm and cannot find it.

Incidentally, libm is the default math library on linux.  Most linux 
should have it installed.  The developer lib package may be necessary to 
access this library directly, but even then one could access the 
non-developer version simply by making a symbolic link to the versioned 
one in the lib directory where it resides.  Or one could even provide 
the full path the the versioned library on the command line to achieve 
the same thing.

But instead of fiddling with the system, the user should just download 
the necessary developer version of these libraries.

Part of these problems seem to be that Ty is unfamiliar with linux, or, 
at least, linux development.  If this is the case, there is a LOT more 
to help out with then just dmd/dwt related issues.  Linux is not an easy 
system to learn to program on since there are many tools with which to 
get familiar. Thus, we must assume, to some extent, that the dwt user 
has some familiarity with the system he develops on.  It would horribly 
time-consuming otherwise to have to step the user through platform 
development peculiarities and linux administration.

Thankfully, we don't have to do that... since there appears to be an 
amazing supply of very accommodating and knowledgeable people here.  But 
I do think it is unfair to assume we owe such a user all our time and 
attention for such details.

-JJR
February 19, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
Ty Tower wrote:
> Up yours =Don't bother posting answers to my queries again
> 
> I will immediately skip them--   Clown

Really uncalled for.  Next time you want help, you might try being polite.

--bb
February 19, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
John Reimer Wrote:
> On Linux, linking is exactly the same for static and dynamic libraries. 
>   This is one of the advantages of the linux system.  There is no dll or 
> import library complexity to deal with as there is on Windows.
> 
> The difference with the developer packages is that they usually supply 
> both the static and dynamic libs without the postfix version numbers, 
> They also supply the necessary C headers and documentation.
> 
> Some Linux distributions include the developer versions of the libraries 
> by default.  Other distributions do not.  Ty might have to download 
> these libs to get things working... which would explain a lot of the 
> problems he's been having.
> 
My distro is Mandriva 2007 spring and I have the developer packages installed.
As I said the libraries are there under the name of /lib/libm-2.4.so , and linked  to it is  libm.so.6



> I notice also that the command line error complained "/usr/bin/ld: 
> cannot find -lm"  which is odd.  It seems to be not interpreting the 
> commandline flag: I would expect it to say "cannot find libm.a (or 
> libm.so).  But I'm not certain.  Nonetheless the compiler is looking for 
> the the non-version decorated libm and cannot find it.
> 
> Incidentally, libm is the default math library on linux.  Most linux 
> should have it installed.  The developer lib package may be necessary to 
> access this library directly, but even then one could access the 
> non-developer version simply by making a symbolic link to the versioned 
> one in the lib directory where it resides.  Or one could even provide 
> the full path the the versioned library on the command line to achieve 
> the same thing.
> 
> But instead of fiddling with the system, the user should just download 
> the necessary developer version of these libraries.
> 
> Part of these problems seem to be that Ty is unfamiliar with linux, or, 
> at least, linux development. 

You assume a lot . and incorrectly at that . I have a fairly intimate knowledge of Linux but this I have not seen before.  I have approached it on a look at what is happening in the compile command from the start and gradually understand what each swith or control is supposed to do and make sure it can do it .  I think I am at the last of that and this problem  is offered for solution by anyone more knowledgeabl than me on compiling and linking.

I don't think either my approach or your wrong assumption justify the comments below


> If this is the case, there is a LOT more 
> to help out with then just dmd/dwt related issues.  Linux is not an easy 
> system to learn to program on since there are many tools with which to 
> get familiar. Thus, we must assume, to some extent, that the dwt user 
> has some familiarity with the system he develops on.  It would horribly 
> time-consuming otherwise to have to step the user through platform 
> development peculiarities and linux administration.
> 
> Thankfully, we don't have to do that... since there appears to be an 
> amazing supply of very accommodating and knowledgeable people here.  But 
> I do think it is unfair to assume we owe such a user all our time and 
> attention for such details.
> 
> -JJR


If you look at the example program "helloworld1.d"which I will attach here , there are a lot of problems in dwt . The writer's comment is effectively " I don't know why but you have to import the following libraries or you will get linker errors"

Perhaps if you are going to spend the time to type and post in such quantity you could stick to why you think "-lm" might not be being found .

I have tried putting /lib/ in front of my PATH and also at the end to no avail. I have copied both file and link to /usr/lib aain to no avaail . This is my $PATH  
PATH=/lib:./:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/:/usr/games:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/local/:/usr/local/lib:/usr/include:/lib
When I find the cause for the triple qt entry I'll be in heaven.

I'm starting to think the library may have been corrupted somehow. Have you had any reports of file corruption by dmd or dsss?
February 19, 2008
Re: Well I'm progressing -slowly
Ty Tower wrote:
> John Reimer Wrote:
>> On Linux, linking is exactly the same for static and dynamic libraries. 
>>   This is one of the advantages of the linux system.  There is no dll or 
>> import library complexity to deal with as there is on Windows.
>>
>> The difference with the developer packages is that they usually supply 
>> both the static and dynamic libs without the postfix version numbers, 
>> They also supply the necessary C headers and documentation.
>>
>> Some Linux distributions include the developer versions of the libraries 
>> by default.  Other distributions do not.  Ty might have to download 
>> these libs to get things working... which would explain a lot of the 
>> problems he's been having.
>>
> My distro is Mandriva 2007 spring and I have the developer packages installed.
> As I said the libraries are there under the name of /lib/libm-2.4.so , and linked  to it is  libm.so.6
> 
> 


Okay.  I don't know why there isn't a libm.so sym-link to these libs 
than.  Try making one and see what happens.


> 
>> I notice also that the command line error complained "/usr/bin/ld: 
>> cannot find -lm"  which is odd.  It seems to be not interpreting the 
>> commandline flag: I would expect it to say "cannot find libm.a (or 
>> libm.so).  But I'm not certain.  Nonetheless the compiler is looking for 
>> the the non-version decorated libm and cannot find it.
>>
>> Incidentally, libm is the default math library on linux.  Most linux 
>> should have it installed.  The developer lib package may be necessary to 
>> access this library directly, but even then one could access the 
>> non-developer version simply by making a symbolic link to the versioned 
>> one in the lib directory where it resides.  Or one could even provide 
>> the full path the the versioned library on the command line to achieve 
>> the same thing.
>>
>> But instead of fiddling with the system, the user should just download 
>> the necessary developer version of these libraries.
>>
>> Part of these problems seem to be that Ty is unfamiliar with linux, or, 
>> at least, linux development. 
> 
> You assume a lot . and incorrectly at that . I have a fairly intimate knowledge of Linux but this I have not seen before.  I have approached it on a look at what is happening in the compile command from the start and gradually understand what each swith or control is supposed to do and make sure it can do it .  I think I am at the last of that and this problem  is offered for solution by anyone more knowledgeabl than me on compiling and linking.
> 
> I don't think either my approach or your wrong assumption justify the comments below
> 


Okay.  Perhaps I assumed wrong, but it appeared otherwise. I thought 
most linux developers understood that linking to a static or dynamic 
library was achieved the same way on linux (with the -l switch). 
Incidentally, I do not claim to have an intimate knowledge of linux 
developement or linux.  I do have a comfortable working knowledge of it, 
however.


>> If this is the case, there is a LOT more 
>> to help out with then just dmd/dwt related issues.  Linux is not an easy 
>> system to learn to program on since there are many tools with which to 
>> get familiar. Thus, we must assume, to some extent, that the dwt user 
>> has some familiarity with the system he develops on.  It would horribly 
>> time-consuming otherwise to have to step the user through platform 
>> development peculiarities and linux administration.
>>
>> Thankfully, we don't have to do that... since there appears to be an 
>> amazing supply of very accommodating and knowledgeable people here.  But 
>> I do think it is unfair to assume we owe such a user all our time and 
>> attention for such details.
>>
>> -JJR
> 
> 
> If you look at the example program "helloworld1.d"which I will attach here , there are a lot of problems in dwt . The writer's comment is effectively " I don't know why but you have to import the following libraries or you will get linker errors"
> 
> Perhaps if you are going to spend the time to type and post in such quantity you could stick to why you think "-lm" might not be being found .
> 


This is not clearly a dwt issue, so I won't (or shouldn't) devote more 
time to postulating why -lm is not found.  That would be futile for me 
at this point.  You are correct that I spent too much time typing a post 
in such quantity (including this one). libm is a dependency that the dmd 
compiler adds to the command-line, and this has been so for a long time. 
 So if it isn't working right now, I wouldn't blame it on dwt just 
because this is the library you are trying to use right now.  I'd tend 
to look further into why dmd is not working.

Furthermore, I have no idea why one needs to add the Tango imports to 
get things linking correctly.  I suggest you ditch dwt from your system 
and test dmd/dsss/Tango (or perhaps Phobos first) rigorously before you 
even approach dwt again.


> I have tried putting /lib/ in front of my PATH and also at the end to no avail. I have copied both file and link to /usr/lib aain to no avaail . This is my $PATH  
> PATH=/lib:./:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/:/usr/games:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/local/:/usr/local/lib:/usr/include:/lib
> When I find the cause for the triple qt entry I'll be in heaven.
> 


These are all linux issues (or dmd setup issues).  If these cannot be 
straightened out, I can't help.


> I'm starting to think the library may have been corrupted somehow. Have you had any reports of file corruption by dmd or dsss?
> 
> 


No.  It's very unlikely libm could get corrupted by dmd or dsss... 
unless you run linux as the superuser all the time (which would be a bad 
idea). Even then, I don't know why dmd or dsss would do such a thing. 
Your whole linux distribution would be compromised if they could or did. 
 Even so, ld would probably report the error if libm was corrupt.

Maybe a reinstall of your Linux distribution or a different distribution 
might be the answer.  That may seem like a lame suggestion to you; but 
sadly, this is becoming the best I've got.

-JJR
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home