Robert Fraser
Apr 14, 2008
Yigal Chripun
Apr 25, 2008
Bruno Medeiros
Apr 14, 2008
Neal Becker
April 13, 2008
dmd for 64bit, windows atleast, since gdc and windows is a no go - please!

April 13, 2008
dominik wrote:
> dmd for 64bit, windows atleast, since gdc and windows is a no go - please! 
> 
> 

Why is GDC a no-go on Windows? I've even compiled GDC itself on Vista x64 a while back. (But then I went back to 32-bit Vista, because I found 64-bit Windows so freakin' schizophrenic.)

L.
April 14, 2008
Lionello Lunesu Wrote:
> Why is GDC a no-go on Windows? I've even compiled GDC itself on Vista x64 a while back. (But then I went back to 32-bit Vista, because I found 64-bit Windows so freakin' schizophrenic.)

well, basically I haven't been able to install/compile gdc to use it on windows. I tried, mignw and all, but without success. I have no experience with gcc, so that is the problem I guess. It would be very very usefull if there were some documented steps on how to compile/install and use mingw/gdc on windows. :\
April 14, 2008
Lionello Lunesu <lio@lunesu.remove.com> wrote in news:ftu6ka$c98$1@digitalmars.com:

> dominik wrote:
>> dmd for 64bit, windows atleast, since gdc and windows is a no go - please!
>> 
>> 
> 
> Why is GDC a no-go on Windows? I've even compiled GDC itself on Vista x64 a while back. (But then I went back to 32-bit Vista, because I found 64-bit Windows so freakin' schizophrenic.)
> 
> L.
> 

And 32-bit Vista isn't???  For my 32-bit Vista, a good day (and I don't have them often) is only  one unplug-the-computer-and-reboot session.

-- 
JMNorris
April 14, 2008
"dominik" <dominik@vga.hr> wrote in message news:ftv966$2bdt$1@digitalmars.com...
> Lionello Lunesu Wrote:
>> Why is GDC a no-go on Windows? I've even compiled GDC itself on Vista
>> x64 a while back. (But then I went back to 32-bit Vista, because I found
>> 64-bit Windows so freakin' schizophrenic.)
>
> well, basically I haven't been able to install/compile gdc to use it on windows. I tried, mignw and all, but without success. I have no experience with gcc, so that is the problem I guess. It would be very very usefull if there were some documented steps on how to compile/install and use mingw/gdc on windows. :\

I never got mingw to work, but cygwin worked fine. Just make sure you install all needed headers/libraries to build GCC/GDC and it'll work, I promise ;)

L. 

April 14, 2008
"JMNorris" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:ftv9gt$2841$1@digitalmars.com...
> Lionello Lunesu <lio@lunesu.remove.com> wrote in
> news:ftu6ka$c98$1@digitalmars.com:
>
>> dominik wrote:
>>> dmd for 64bit, windows atleast, since gdc and windows is a no go -
>>> please!
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Why is GDC a no-go on Windows? I've even compiled GDC itself on Vista
>> x64 a while back. (But then I went back to 32-bit Vista, because I
>> found 64-bit Windows so freakin' schizophrenic.)
>>
>> L.
>>
>
> And 32-bit Vista isn't???  For my 32-bit Vista, a good day (and I don't
> have them often) is only  one unplug-the-computer-and-reboot session.

OK, this'll probably start a flame war, but I really think Vista's underrated. I like it a lot.

OTOH, all x64 Windows are f**ked up: two program files, two registries, two "system32" folders (I kid you not: the x64 one is still called like that). Two different explorers, so you'll have to install explorer plugins twice, both x32 and x64.. It's really impossible to maintain. Not to mention the numerous incompatibilities.

L.

April 14, 2008
Lionello Lunesu Wrote:
> I never got mingw to work, but cygwin worked fine. Just make sure you install all needed headers/libraries to build GCC/GDC and it'll work, I promise ;)

So if I install cygwin and mingw I should be able to compile gcc/gdc then? I don't wan't to make cygwin dependable executables though :\
April 14, 2008
dominik wrote:
> Lionello Lunesu Wrote:
>> I never got mingw to work, but cygwin worked fine. Just make sure you install all needed headers/libraries to build GCC/GDC and it'll work, I promise ;)
> 
> So if I install cygwin and mingw I should be able to compile gcc/gdc then? I don't wan't to make cygwin dependable executables though :\

You don't need mingw if you have cygwin. At least, I just installed cygwin and that's all I needed.

I don't think the executables need cygwin, just GDC and GCC need cygwin.

L.
April 14, 2008
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> 
> "JMNorris" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:ftv9gt$2841$1@digitalmars.com...
>> Lionello Lunesu <lio@lunesu.remove.com> wrote in news:ftu6ka$c98$1@digitalmars.com:
>>
>>> dominik wrote:
>>>> dmd for 64bit, windows atleast, since gdc and windows is a no go - please!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Why is GDC a no-go on Windows? I've even compiled GDC itself on Vista x64 a while back. (But then I went back to 32-bit Vista, because I found 64-bit Windows so freakin' schizophrenic.)
>>>
>>> L.
>>>
>>
>> And 32-bit Vista isn't???  For my 32-bit Vista, a good day (and I don't have them often) is only  one unplug-the-computer-and-reboot session.
> 
> OK, this'll probably start a flame war, but I really think Vista's underrated. I like it a lot.

I think the problem with Vista is that just that Microsoft finally got things right pretty much right at last with XP in terms of the OS.  It was the first time Win95 and WinNT really were integrated.  And that was a big deal.  This time all they've got to encourage people to switch is glitz and hype.  That's not enough to impress the folks in corporate IT centers with the big budgets.  XP works pretty darn well.  That's the biggest problem with Vista.

--bb
April 14, 2008
Lionello Lunesu Wrote:
> I don't think the executables need cygwin, just GDC and GCC need cygwin.

alright, thanks I will try it. Is there a specifical GCC toolchain version which I should use with GDC or can I use the latest (4.3.0 I think it is)?
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3