Bill Baxter
May 23, 2008
FireLancer
May 23, 2008
Robert Fraser
May 22, 2008
Spacen Jasset
May 22, 2008
Ive been learning c++ and was wondering if I should move over to D or not but theres a few details I'm not sure on and I couldn't find a good ansew on.

1)Is there a way to "hide" things complelty when building a static libary. eg in c++ if I have:

//libary.h
double GetRandomNumber();

//libary.cpp
int DoSomething()
{
 //do something
}
double GetRandomNumber()
{
     return (double)rand() / RAND_MAX;
}

This is fine as the user doesn't know DoSomething() exists. But now if they create there own DoSomething() they get linker errors because it exists twice :(

Also if I built a frame work based off of DirectX and Win32 API it's be nice to complelty hide functions from those unless the user imported them themselves. (So for them CreateWindow() doesn't exist UNLESS they imported the windows files themselves even though it's used in my libary)
2)
I couldn't tell if D has an eqivlent to the STL. I can see that maps are built in but what of std::set and std::list?

3)
How do I go about using DirectX with D as all the headers are c/c++

4)
Do the varible sizes work as in c or are they fixed?
eg in c I could define them as

char - at least one byte
short - at least as large as a char
int - at least as large as a short
long - at least as large as an int

But it would be nice if they were fixed eg
char - 1 byte
short - 2 bytes
int - 4 bytes
long - 8 bytes

5)
May 22, 2008
FireLancer wrote:

> Ive been learning c++ and was wondering if I should move over to D or not but theres a few details I'm not sure on and I couldn't find a good ansew on.
> 
> 2) I
> couldn't tell if D has an eqivlent to the STL. I can see that maps are
> built in but what of std::set and std::list?

Tango has a collection package.

> 3)
> How do I go about using DirectX with D as all the headers are c/c++

I would think there exists headers ported to D.

> 
> 4)
> Do the varible sizes work as in c or are they fixed?
> eg in c I could define them as
> 
> char - at least one byte
> short - at least as large as a char
> int - at least as large as a short
> long - at least as large as an int
> 
> But it would be nice if they were fixed eg
> char - 1 byte
> short - 2 bytes
> int - 4 bytes
> long - 8 bytes

They are fixed with those sizes.

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
May 22, 2008
== Quote from FireLancer (FireLancer@yahoo.com)'s article

> 3)
> How do I go about using DirectX with D as all the headers are c/c++

I think there are a couple of D ports of the DirectX headers floating around. I suspect this is the best one (but I haven't used it myself): http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/directx

(It's part of the "Windows API" project at dsource: http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/wiki/WindowsApi)
May 22, 2008
FireLancer wrote:
> Ive been learning c++ and was wondering if I should move over to D or not but theres a few details I'm not sure on and I couldn't find a good ansew on.
> 
> 1)Is there a way to "hide" things complelty when building a static libary. eg in c++ if I have:
> 
> //libary.h
> double GetRandomNumber();
> 
> //libary.cpp
> int DoSomething()
> {
>  //do something
> }
> double GetRandomNumber()
> {
>      return (double)rand() / RAND_MAX;
> }
> 
> 
> This is fine as the user doesn't know DoSomething() exists. But now if they create there own DoSomething() they get linker errors because it exists twice :(

Yes and no. In D, everything is qualified by its module name, and there's a 1:1 module:file correspondence. So it's unlikely that two modules would have the same fully-qualified name with the exact same symbol.

A bigger problem is that D doesn't have the concept of header files (well, it does sort of with .di files, but they're rarely used in open-source since they're generally not necessary if you have the source file). The problem is that if you import one of them, all the symbols (even those marked "private") will be imported.
May 22, 2008
jcc7 Wrote:

> == Quote from FireLancer (FireLancer@yahoo.com)'s article
> ...
> 
> > 3)
> > How do I go about using DirectX with D as all the headers are c/c++
> 
> I think there are a couple of D ports of the DirectX headers floating around. I suspect this is the best one (but I haven't used it myself): http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/win32/directx
> 
> (It's part of the "Windows API" project at dsource: http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/wiki/WindowsApi)

Is there no eqivlent of d3dx9.h or is it embedded in one of the other files?  Ive used functions from that all over the place and I don't really want to relearn in order to work out ways of doing stuff without some of it's features and DirectX 10 isn't an option for me.

Also is there any support beyond Direct3D like DirectSound or xAudio2 (prefered) or will I need to write my own port of the March SDK to get those things?
May 22, 2008
Robert Fraser Wrote:

> FireLancer wrote:
> > Ive been learning c++ and was wondering if I should move over to D or not but theres a few details I'm not sure on and I couldn't find a good ansew on.
> > 
> > 1)Is there a way to "hide" things complelty when building a static libary. eg in c++ if I have:
> > 
> > //libary.h
> > double GetRandomNumber();
> > 
> > //libary.cpp
> > int DoSomething()
> > {
> >  //do something
> > }
> > double GetRandomNumber()
> > {
> >      return (double)rand() / RAND_MAX;
> > }
> > 
> > 
> > This is fine as the user doesn't know DoSomething() exists. But now if they create there own DoSomething() they get linker errors because it exists twice :(
> 
> Yes and no. In D, everything is qualified by its module name, and there's a 1:1 module:file correspondence. So it's unlikely that two modules would have the same fully-qualified name with the exact same symbol.
> 
> A bigger problem is that D doesn't have the concept of header files (well, it does sort of with .di files, but they're rarely used in open-source since they're generally not necessary if you have the source file). The problem is that if you import one of them, all the symbols (even those marked "private") will be imported.

So like in c++ I can't choose not to export something in a static lib and make it completly unavaible?

May 22, 2008
FireLancer wrote:
> Robert Fraser Wrote:
> 
>> FireLancer wrote:
>>> Ive been learning c++ and was wondering if I should move over to D or not but theres a few details I'm not sure on and I couldn't find a good ansew on.
>>>
>>> 1)Is there a way to "hide" things complelty when building a static libary. eg in c++ if I have:
>>>
>>> //libary.h
>>> double GetRandomNumber();
>>>
>>> //libary.cpp
>>> int DoSomething()
>>> {
>>>  //do something
>>> }
>>> double GetRandomNumber()
>>> {
>>>      return (double)rand() / RAND_MAX;
>>> }
>>>
>>>
>>> This is fine as the user doesn't know DoSomething() exists. But now if they create there own DoSomething() they get linker errors because it exists twice :(
>> Yes and no. In D, everything is qualified by its module name, and there's a 1:1 module:file correspondence. So it's unlikely that two modules would have the same fully-qualified name with the exact same symbol.
>>
>> A bigger problem is that D doesn't have the concept of header files (well, it does sort of with .di files, but they're rarely used in open-source since they're generally not necessary if you have the source file). The problem is that if you import one of them, all the symbols (even those marked "private") will be imported.
> 
> So like in c++ I can't choose not to export something in a static lib and make it completly unavaible?
> 

In C++ you can put things in an anonymous namespace:

namespace {
   int variable_only_i_can_see;
   double function_only_i_can_call() { return (double)rand()/RAND_MAX; }
}

In C you could use "static":

static int only_i_can_see;

In D I'm not sure if there is any such thing.

--bb
May 22, 2008
"Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup@billbaxter.com> wrote in message news:g14nq9$dgq$1@digitalmars.com...
>
> In C++ you can put things in an anonymous namespace:
>
> namespace {
>    int variable_only_i_can_see;
>    double function_only_i_can_call() { return (double)rand()/RAND_MAX; }
> }
>
> In C you could use "static":
>
>  static int only_i_can_see;
>
> In D I'm not sure if there is any such thing.

Uh, 'private'?

May 22, 2008
OpenGL support is available via derelict, which is very ipressive package. I don't know about direct x. But if you are not fixed on the idea of direct x. Consider derelict, which also has joystick/sound support though the vorbis/ogg/sdl_mixer/sdl libraries.
May 22, 2008
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup@billbaxter.com> wrote in message news:g14nq9$dgq$1@digitalmars.com...
>> In C++ you can put things in an anonymous namespace:
>>
>> namespace {
>>    int variable_only_i_can_see;
>>    double function_only_i_can_call() { return (double)rand()/RAND_MAX; }
>> }
>>
>> In C you could use "static":
>>
>>  static int only_i_can_see;
>>
>> In D I'm not sure if there is any such thing.
> 
> Uh, 'private'? 

Maybe it's supposed to have that effect, but currently at least it does not insulate you from namespace clashes.  Wasn't that how this conversation began?

--bb
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2