View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
June 18, 2008
Map/Reduce/Filter
We could sure use an article like this for D:

http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/06/16/FunctionalProgrammingInC30HowMapReduceFilterCanRockYourWorld.aspx

Anyone game?
June 18, 2008
Re: Map/Reduce/Filter
Walter Bright:
> We could sure use an article like this for D:
> http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/06/16/FunctionalProgrammingInC30HowMapReduceFilterCanRockYourWorld.aspx
> Anyone game?

You know that I have spent many months to write a large group of mostly functional-style open source libs for D 1.x (quite more complete and smarter than the stuff in std.algorithm of 2.x, but possibly a bit slower), and on my blog I have discussed many times about this topic, showing usage examples too. So writing another smallish article about such usages seems possible.
But that article looks mostly about LINQ, that's much better (mostly because it's more integrated and pervasive in the language and systems usable from it, like the DBMS) than anything I can create with D. So maybe a comparison will not show many advantages compared to that LINQ code...

If someone else has some suggestions I'll willing to listen to them.

Bye and thank you for the suggestion,
bearophile
June 18, 2008
Re: Map/Reduce/Filter
bearophile wrote:
> Walter Bright:
>> We could sure use an article like this for D: 
>> http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/06/16/FunctionalProgrammingInC30HowMapReduceFilterCanRockYourWorld.aspx
>>  Anyone game?
> 
> You know that I have spent many months to write a large group of
> mostly functional-style open source libs for D 1.x (quite more
> complete and smarter than the stuff in std.algorithm of 2.x, but
> possibly a bit slower), and on my blog I have discussed many times
> about this topic, showing usage examples too.

Writing about it in your blog is important, but writing articles will 
reach a much wider audience.

> So writing another
> smallish article about such usages seems possible. But that article
> looks mostly about LINQ, that's much better (mostly because it's more
> integrated and pervasive in the language and systems usable from it,
> like the DBMS) than anything I can create with D. So maybe a
> comparison will not show many advantages compared to that LINQ
> code...
> 
> If someone else has some suggestions I'll willing to listen to them.
> 
> Bye and thank you for the suggestion, bearophile
June 18, 2008
Re: Map/Reduce/Filter
== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1@digitalmars.com)'s article
> bearophile wrote:
> > Walter Bright:
> >> We could sure use an article like this for D:
> >>
http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/06/16/FunctionalProgrammingInC30HowMapReduceFilter
CanRockYourWorld.aspx
> >>  Anyone game?
> >
> > You know that I have spent many months to write a large group of
> > mostly functional-style open source libs for D 1.x (quite more
> > complete and smarter than the stuff in std.algorithm of 2.x, but
> > possibly a bit slower), and on my blog I have discussed many times
> > about this topic, showing usage examples too.
> Writing about it in your blog is important, but writing articles will
> reach a much wider audience.

But the thing you linked is a blog.  And the DDJ "articles" are blog entries
too.  Or am I missing something?


Sean
June 18, 2008
Re: Map/Reduce/Filter
Sean Kelly:
> But the thing you linked is a blog.  And the DDJ "articles" are blog entries
> too.  Or am I missing something?

You can write articles on a blog too, but the problem is that it's a lot of time I don't write a "real" article on D, and that my blog has just 3 readers ;-)

Bye,
bearophile
June 18, 2008
Re: Map/Reduce/Filter
bearophile Wrote:

> Walter Bright:
> > We could sure use an article like this for D:
> > http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/06/16/FunctionalProgrammingInC30HowMapReduceFilterCanRockYourWorld.aspx
> > Anyone game?
> 
> You know that I have spent many months to write a large group of mostly functional-style open source libs for D 1.x (quite more complete and smarter than the stuff in std.algorithm of 2.x, but possibly a bit slower)

better said 8x slower and quite a bit dumber too. great deal.
June 19, 2008
Re: Map/Reduce/Filter
bearophile wrote:
> Sean Kelly:
>> But the thing you linked is a blog.  And the DDJ "articles" are blog entries
>> too.  Or am I missing something?
> 
> You can write articles on a blog too, but the problem is that it's a lot of time I don't write a "real" article on D, and that my blog has just 3 readers ;-)
> 
> Bye,
> bearophile

Where is your blog?
June 19, 2008
Re: Map/Reduce/Filter
Sean Kelly wrote:
> But the thing you linked is a blog.  And the DDJ "articles" are blog entries
> too.  Or am I missing something?

I tend to regard a "blog" entry as something rather short and 
superficial, and an "article" as something that's longer and gives a 
more thorough treatment.

Articles can also be placed where the readership is high, blog entries 
generally cannot be.
June 19, 2008
LINQ in D [Was: Re: Map/Reduce/Filter]
bearophile Wrote:

> Walter Bright:
> > We could sure use an article like this for D:
> > http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/06/16/FunctionalProgrammingInC30HowMapReduceFilterCanRockYourWorld.aspx
> > Anyone game?
> 
> You know that I have spent many months to write a large group of mostly functional-style open source libs for D 1.x (quite more complete and smarter than the stuff in std.algorithm of 2.x, but possibly a bit slower), and on my blog I have discussed many times about this topic, showing usage examples too. So writing another smallish article about such usages seems possible.
> But that article looks mostly about LINQ, that's much better (mostly because it's more integrated and pervasive in the language and systems usable from it, like the DBMS) than anything I can create with D. So maybe a comparison will not show many advantages compared to that LINQ code...
> 
> If someone else has some suggestions I'll willing to listen to them.
> 
> Bye and thank you for the suggestion,
> bearophile

LINQ should actually be possible in D without language integration.
For example, with CTFE/templates this should be possible in D right now:

struct Employee {
   string name;
   int id;
}
Employee[] employees;

//...

auto rows = mixin(query("SELECT name, id FROM employees WHERE id > 5"));
foreach(row; rows)
   writefln("%d - %s", row.id, row.name);
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home