August 19, 2008
Got a "little" problem with source code and the characters/letters used in it...  And would like to know how to rectify this:

I'm usually using 'vim' (or 'gvim') for editing source codes, but now as learning D as new language, came against a problem with '|' (the vertical bar) in source code.  Whenever dmd encounters a '|' in code (outside string literals), it errors out with i.e.:

    ...somesource.d(84): unsupported char 0xc2

So, for now, have had to put i.e. "if (a == 2 || b == 3)" to separate if/
else's.
August 19, 2008
Markku Sukanen:
> I'm usually using 'vim' (or 'gvim') for editing source codes, but now as
> learning D as new language, came against a problem with '|' (the vertical
> bar) in source code.  Whenever dmd encounters a '|' in code (outside
> string literals), it errors out with i.e.:
>     ...somesource.d(84): unsupported char 0xc2
> So, for now, have had to put i.e. "if (a == 2 ||Â b == 3)" to separate if/
> else's.

The '|' char is 124, not 0xc2 (that is 194 in decimal). I have no problems using the vertical bar in my D source code. You probably are doing something wrong, if you take a look at this post you can see your editor is using something past 7-bit ASCII, try a different editor.

Bye,
bearophile
August 19, 2008
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:51:25 -0400, bearophile wrote:

> Markku Sukanen:
>> I'm usually using 'vim' (or 'gvim') for editing source codes, but now
>> as learning D as new language, came against a problem with '|' (the
>> vertical bar) in source code.  Whenever dmd encounters a '|' in code
>> (outside string literals), it errors out with i.e.:
>>     ...somesource.d(84): unsupported char 0xc2
>> So, for now, have had to put i.e. "if (a == 2 ||Â b == 3)" to separate
>> if/ else's.
> 
> The '|' char is 124, not 0xc2 (that is 194 in decimal). I have no problems using the vertical bar in my D source code. You probably are doing something wrong, if you take a look at this post you can see your editor is using something past 7-bit ASCII, try a different editor.
> 
Hmm, after checking my source code and my own post to this newsgroup with a hexedit, I think it's not just editor issue... there's an invisible "0xC2" character following the 2nd '|' in my own post and the source code...

Not a D, issue. Heh, sry - should've thought checking the hexdump earlier.
August 19, 2008
Markku Sukanen schrieb:
> Hmm, after checking my source code and my own post to this newsgroup with a hexedit, I think it's not just editor issue... there's an invisible "0xC2" character following the 2nd '|' in my own post and the source code...
> 
> Not a D, issue. Heh, sry - should've thought checking the hexdump earlier.

check the encoding vim uses
D accepts either ascii (<=127) or unicode.

  :set encoding=utf-8



August 19, 2008
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:12:56 +0200, Frank Benoit wrote:

> Markku Sukanen schrieb:
>> Hmm, after checking my source code and my own post to this newsgroup with a hexedit, I think it's not just editor issue... there's an invisible "0xC2" character following the 2nd '|' in my own post and the source code...
>> 
>> Not a D, issue. Heh, sry - should've thought checking the hexdump earlier.
> 
> check the encoding vim uses
> D accepts either ascii (<=127) or unicode.
> 
>   :set encoding=utf-8

Ah! Thanks, that fixed it.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home