View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
October 30, 2008
Re: How does D improve design practices over C++?
Walter Bright Wrote:

> Janderson wrote:
> > - More restrictive casting
what's this? From my point of view C++ has more restrictive casting.

> - Warnings on implicit casts that lose bits
O_O
October 31, 2008
Re: How does D improve design practices over C++?
ore-sama wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
> 
>> Janderson wrote:
>>> - More restrictive casting
> what's this? From my point of view C++ has more restrictive casting.

We'll C++ allows C casts for instance.  Also C++ you can static cast 
something that should be dynamic.  Also in D you can't easily cast an 
array to a pointer (although you can go array.ptr).  There are fewer 
implicit casts allowed (particularly for unsigned/signed).  See: 
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/type.html

I think there are a couple of others but I can't remember them at the 
moment.

> 
>> - Warnings on implicit casts that lose bits
> O_O
October 31, 2008
Re: How does D improve design practices over C++?
Janderson Wrote:

> I think there are a couple of others but I can't remember them at the 
> moment.
I can remind: reinterpret_cast is explicit, type casts preserve constness, unsuccessful downcast to reference throws.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home