View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
"Walter Bright" <newshound1@digitalmars.com> wrote in message 
news:gj6mld$294o$1@digitalmars.com...
> John Reimer wrote:
>> Incidentally, I'm still using my Compaq Presario X1000 laptop (Pentium M 
>> 1.4 GHz) which is probably close to 6 years old now.  I've updated 
>> certain aspects of it and fixed it a couple of times.  Amazingly it keeps 
>> running... and performs quite well for my needs.
>
> As my main machine, I use a P4 at 1.6 GHz, 512 Mb ram. I'm not sure how 
> old it is, but when the power supply failed and I went to the nerd store 
> to replace it, the guy said "I haven't seen one of these power supply 
> configurations in years!" He sent me to the local pc recycler, where I got 
> one out of a bin for $10.
>

Now that I don't feel like I'd be laughed out of the discussion in a flurry 
of posts involving words like "archaic": Mine's a:

- 1.7 GHz Celeron (was a 1.2GHz AMD K6-2 for a long time, but I bought this 
CPU/MB off someone for about $25, seems to be about the same performance 
though (makes sense, Celerons are notoriously low on cache, or at least were 
last I checked)).

- 1 GB RAM (Only reason I upgraded from 512MB was I had a job that needed 
MS's bloated .NET era SQL Sever client),

- Graphics card that's pixel shader v1 (was a pre-pixel-shader GeForceMX 2 
for a long time, only upgraded because I found this one for about $40 and 
wanted to play around with pixel shaders).

- The motherboard's USB is v1.x

- 21" CRT I got from a CompUSA store-closing for $25. (Funny thing is, this 
was made years ago and goes higher than HD resolution and has no native 
resolution, good contrast, no ghosting, no realistic risk of burn-in, and 
zero frames of "image processing" delay. Silly people and their 
hundreds/thousands-of-dollars LCD/Plasma/DLP HDTVs ;) ) I can't hang it on 
the wall, but what do I care? My desk's big enough.

So, yea, about on par with you two. (Although I do have damn near a TB of HD 
space and still crave more...yea, I'm a packrat.) The only thing about it 
that I feel is insufficient is the number of PCI ports (it's one of those 
reduced-size motherboards...in a non-reduced-size case), but I'm still 
getting by.

I do some occasional video processing/editing, 3D stuff (mainly to learn 
it), and gaming (but nothing like Gears of War or Halo or anything like 
that, besides I prefer to game on a living-room console). If I were to get 
really serious about any of those things, I would probably want a new 
system, but I don't do enough of them to really justify it.

I would kind of like the convenience of a laptop (mine's dead), but the only 
reason I'd be interested in the fancier CPUs on that is for the reduced 
heat/power consumption.

Speaking of laptops, if anyone hears about a company that makes quality 
laptops with an actual built-in trackball, let me know. I can't stand those 
awful touchpads or IBM's "nubs", and dragging around a real trackball in 
addition to power cord, etc, starts taking away from the whole "portability" 
thing.

One other funny anecdote about "newer/trendier is not always better": I've 
been recruited by a friend of my mom to replace/supplement her small 
business's wireless network with a wired one.

And now I'll stop rambling ;)
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote in message 
news:gj6mds$28iv$1@digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Ah ha, there's that usual "if you go and buy a PC" catch. Which begs the 
>> question, why would I? My existing system does everything I need it to do 
>> perfectly fine. And since I'm not petty enough to allow anyone to shame 
>> me into buying a new system just by calling my *current* system "legacy", 
>> that leaves no real reason for me to buy a new one.
>
> I agree that often there is little incentive to upgrade. In particular 
> incentive can be negative when it comes to Vista vs. XP.
>

I'm incredibly jealous of how Vista only highlights the filename (minus 
suffix) when you go to rename a file. I *really* want that. But yea, that 
alone isn't enough to balance out the reasons against upgrading.

> [snip]
>>> so supporting 64bit is just supporting the current technology. it's not 
>>> about fancy servers or anything like that, just supporting the current 
>>> standards. that's a minimun that should be expected from any compiler 
>>> implementation nowadays.
>>> b) even though for now there is a compatability mode in most OSes, why 
>>> would I want to limit the performance and abilities of my PC to old 
>>> technology which is being faded away?
>>>
>>
>> Even in 32-bit "legacy" mode, 64-bit systems are absurdly fast anyway.
>
> Talk about adding insult to injury. This is a rather random statement to 
> make. Really, browsing the Web, writing documents, or writing emails is 
> all you want from a computer? I'd say, until computers are not at least 
> potentially capable of doing most intellectual tasks that people do, we're 
> not in the position to say that computers are fast enough. When seen from 
> that perspective, computers are absurdly slow and scarce in resources. The 
> human brain's capacity bypasses our largest systems by a few orders of 
> magnitude, and if we want to claim doing anything close, we should at 
> least have that capacity. But even way, way before that, any NLP or speech 
> recognition system that does anything interesting needs days, weeks, or 
> months to train on computer clusters, when it all should run in real time. 
> Please understand that from that perspective the claim that computers are 
> plenty fast and memory is plenty large is rather shortsighted.
>

When a reasonably-priced computer comes around that can actually do those 
sorts of things, I may very well be finally enticed to upgrade. But like you 
said, as it stands right now, even the high-end stuff can't do it. So it's 
really a non-issue for now.
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote in message 
> news:gj6mds$28iv$1@digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> Ah ha, there's that usual "if you go and buy a PC" catch. Which begs the 
>>> question, why would I? My existing system does everything I need it to do 
>>> perfectly fine. And since I'm not petty enough to allow anyone to shame 
>>> me into buying a new system just by calling my *current* system "legacy", 
>>> that leaves no real reason for me to buy a new one.
>> I agree that often there is little incentive to upgrade. In particular 
>> incentive can be negative when it comes to Vista vs. XP.
>>
> 
> I'm incredibly jealous of how Vista only highlights the filename (minus 
> suffix) when you go to rename a file. I *really* want that. But yea, that 
> alone isn't enough to balance out the reasons against upgrading.
> 
>> [snip]
>>>> so supporting 64bit is just supporting the current technology. it's not 
>>>> about fancy servers or anything like that, just supporting the current 
>>>> standards. that's a minimun that should be expected from any compiler 
>>>> implementation nowadays.
>>>> b) even though for now there is a compatability mode in most OSes, why 
>>>> would I want to limit the performance and abilities of my PC to old 
>>>> technology which is being faded away?
>>>>
>>> Even in 32-bit "legacy" mode, 64-bit systems are absurdly fast anyway.
>> Talk about adding insult to injury. This is a rather random statement to 
>> make. Really, browsing the Web, writing documents, or writing emails is 
>> all you want from a computer? I'd say, until computers are not at least 
>> potentially capable of doing most intellectual tasks that people do, we're 
>> not in the position to say that computers are fast enough. When seen from 
>> that perspective, computers are absurdly slow and scarce in resources. The 
>> human brain's capacity bypasses our largest systems by a few orders of 
>> magnitude, and if we want to claim doing anything close, we should at 
>> least have that capacity. But even way, way before that, any NLP or speech 
>> recognition system that does anything interesting needs days, weeks, or 
>> months to train on computer clusters, when it all should run in real time. 
>> Please understand that from that perspective the claim that computers are 
>> plenty fast and memory is plenty large is rather shortsighted.
>>
> 
> When a reasonably-priced computer comes around that can actually do those 
> sorts of things, I may very well be finally enticed to upgrade. But like you 
> said, as it stands right now, even the high-end stuff can't do it. So it's 
> really a non-issue for now. 

I don't understand. This is like a reply to another thread. This anyone 
would agree with. I agree that for your current computing work and 
perceived needs you don't feel about upgrading your hardware. I mean, 
what's really there to disagree. But that has nothing to do with the 
generalizations aired before a la "64-bit systems are absurdly fast 
anyway" or that there's no need for 64-bit. To write software that 
tackles hard problems one really needs the fastest hardware one's budget 
can buy. I can't understand what you say except in the frame that you 
indiscriminately assume that everybody else has your wants and needs 
from a computer (and consequently is a snob for getting a relatively 
fast one). Really that's a rather... unsophisticated world view to go 
by. I'm even amazed I need to spell this out.


Andrei
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Hello Nick,

> "Walter Bright" <newshound1@digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:gj6mld$294o$1@digitalmars.com...
> 
>> John Reimer wrote:
>> 
>>> Incidentally, I'm still using my Compaq Presario X1000 laptop
>>> (Pentium M 1.4 GHz) which is probably close to 6 years old now.
>>> I've updated certain aspects of it and fixed it a couple of times.
>>> Amazingly it keeps running... and performs quite well for my needs.
>>> 
>> As my main machine, I use a P4 at 1.6 GHz, 512 Mb ram. I'm not sure
>> how old it is, but when the power supply failed and I went to the
>> nerd store to replace it, the guy said "I haven't seen one of these
>> power supply configurations in years!" He sent me to the local pc
>> recycler, where I got one out of a bin for $10.
>> 
> Now that I don't feel like I'd be laughed out of the discussion in a
> flurry of posts involving words like "archaic": Mine's a:
> 


Ha! :)

I should confess something here.  Two or three years ago, I actually purchased 
components and built two AMD Athlon 64 systems for myself (sequentially... 
not both at once).  The last one was a dual core.  But I gave them away to 
family and settled on just using my old laptop.  

Both systems had fairly powerful graphics cards in them too.  They were good 
systems and were great for playing the latest flight simulators... but I 
decided I wanted to spend less time on games. :).   Right now the dual core 
system is put to very good use by my younger brother and sisters for video 
editing... one can never get too much power or memory for that task.  Also, 
nowadays, video-editing among non-professionals is quite common... so I think 
there may just be a whole lot more justification for buying into some of 
these powerful systems than you might realize.


> - 1.7 GHz Celeron (was a 1.2GHz AMD K6-2 for a long time, but I bought
> this CPU/MB off someone for about $25, seems to be about the same
> performance though (makes sense, Celerons are notoriously low on
> cache, or at least were last I checked)).
> 


I've never heard of a 1.2 GHz K6-2.  Was that overclocked or something?  
I think most of those maxed out at 500 MHz.  I've used k6-3's and k6-2+'s 
before.  Excellent CPU's for the time.



> - 1 GB RAM (Only reason I upgraded from 512MB was I had a job that
> needed MS's bloated .NET era SQL Sever client),
> 



I also have 1 GB.  This is actually a little limited for a system that needs 
to use a VM like VirutalBox, VMWare or Parallels.  I've made use of these 
tools for porting both win32 and linux software at the same time.  I now 
use coLinux, and while that works much better, I still could use more memory. 
Also since I use VM's, I'm actually missing the hardware support for them 
that is now available in modern CPU's.



> - Graphics card that's pixel shader v1 (was a pre-pixel-shader
> GeForceMX 2 for a long time, only upgraded because I found this one
> for about $40 and wanted to play around with pixel shaders).
> 


I'm looking forward to the time I can purchase another laptop.  I wouldn't 
mind getting a graphics chipset that supports some of these features so that 
I can experiment.  But admittedly, Graphics technology is among the fastest 
moving targets yet.  For now, I can do just fine with my laptop and its ATI 
Radeon 9000 64 MB chipset.



> - The motherboard's USB is v1.x
>


I can't stand USB v1.x  ... it's way to slow for hard drive operation.  The 
bandwidth just isn't sufficient anymore.


> - 21" CRT I got from a CompUSA store-closing for $25. (Funny thing is,
> this was made years ago and goes higher than HD resolution and has no
> native resolution, good contrast, no ghosting, no realistic risk of
> burn-in, and zero frames of "image processing" delay. Silly people and
> their hundreds/thousands-of-dollars LCD/Plasma/DLP HDTVs ;) ) I can't
> hang it on the wall, but what do I care? My desk's big enough.
> 



LCD's are among the greatest advancement of today's technologies.   CRT's 
are horrible throwback to the day of triodes, pentodes, and lightbulbs... 
and other high-voltage Edison-derivatives.  I've considered them so for probably 
over 10 years.  I was itching for the day that I could stop staring at an 
electron beam sprayed directly into my eyes.  I've never lamented the CRT's 
fall from grace.



> So, yea, about on par with you two. (Although I do have damn near a TB
> of HD space and still crave more...yea, I'm a packrat.) The only thing
> about it that I feel is insufficient is the number of PCI ports (it's
> one of those reduced-size motherboards...in a non-reduced-size case),
> but I'm still getting by.
> 
> I do some occasional video processing/editing, 3D stuff (mainly to
> learn it), and gaming (but nothing like Gears of War or Halo or
> anything like that, besides I prefer to game on a living-room
> console). If I were to get really serious about any of those things, I
> would probably want a new system, but I don't do enough of them to
> really justify it.
> 
> I would kind of like the convenience of a laptop (mine's dead), but
> the only reason I'd be interested in the fancier CPUs on that is for
> the reduced heat/power consumption.
> 
> Speaking of laptops, if anyone hears about a company that makes
> quality laptops with an actual built-in trackball, let me know. I
> can't stand those awful touchpads or IBM's "nubs", and dragging around
> a real trackball in addition to power cord, etc, starts taking away
> from the whole "portability" thing.
> 


I haven't seen or heard of trackballs in a laptop for a long time. :)

I know what your saying about the touchpads... I'm actually surprised they 
stuck.  I don't consider them to be the best invention to be adopted for 
laptops.  They do the job, but I think we should have stuck with "nubs". 
"nubs" were hard to get familiar with,  but once you did... they were extremely 
practical and space efficient... or so I felt anwyay.


> One other funny anecdote about "newer/trendier is not always better":
> I've been recruited by a friend of my mom to replace/supplement her
> small business's wireless network with a wired one.
> 
> And now I'll stop rambling ;)
> 


Wired is not necessarily backwards. :)  Despite the tangly lines, it's just 
easier to keep secure.

-JJR
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> - Graphics card that's pixel shader v1 (was a pre-pixel-shader GeForceMX 2 
> for a long time, only upgraded because I found this one for about $40 and 
> wanted to play around with pixel shaders).

I don't have a graphics card because of heat/fan/noise.

> - The motherboard's USB is v1.x

So's mine, and that really sucks. I'm going to get a card with 2.0 on 
it. USB is a home run, kudos to the designers of it.

> - 21" CRT I got from a CompUSA store-closing for $25. (Funny thing is, this 
> was made years ago and goes higher than HD resolution and has no native 
> resolution, good contrast, no ghosting, no realistic risk of burn-in, and 
> zero frames of "image processing" delay. Silly people and their 
> hundreds/thousands-of-dollars LCD/Plasma/DLP HDTVs ;) ) I can't hang it on 
> the wall, but what do I care? My desk's big enough.

I'm not with you there. I hated that gigantic leaden monster on my desk, 
and was happy to upgrade it to a sleek lcd.

> 
> So, yea, about on par with you two. (Although I do have damn near a TB of HD 
> space and still crave more...yea, I'm a packrat.) The only thing about it 
> that I feel is insufficient is the number of PCI ports (it's one of those 
> reduced-size motherboards...in a non-reduced-size case), but I'm still 
> getting by.
> 
> I do some occasional video processing/editing, 3D stuff (mainly to learn 
> it), and gaming (but nothing like Gears of War or Halo or anything like 
> that, besides I prefer to game on a living-room console). If I were to get 
> really serious about any of those things, I would probably want a new 
> system, but I don't do enough of them to really justify it.

I tried video editing, it's a no-go on my system. Not even close.

> I would kind of like the convenience of a laptop (mine's dead), but the only 
> reason I'd be interested in the fancier CPUs on that is for the reduced 
> heat/power consumption.
> 
> Speaking of laptops, if anyone hears about a company that makes quality 
> laptops with an actual built-in trackball, let me know. I can't stand those 
> awful touchpads or IBM's "nubs", and dragging around a real trackball in 
> addition to power cord, etc, starts taking away from the whole "portability" 
> thing.

I bought an eee pc, as in a laptop I'm interested in portability, not 
desktop replacement.

> One other funny anecdote about "newer/trendier is not always better": I've 
> been recruited by a friend of my mom to replace/supplement her small 
> business's wireless network with a wired one.

When my house was built, I wired up every room with 2 cat5's and 2 RG6 
coaxes (had to do it myself, as the electrician had no idea how to 
install it). I had no use for it at the time (10 years ago) but these 
days it's fantastic to have. I keep finding more and more uses for it, 
and just ordered another hub for all the new stuff. I plan on rewiring 
my distribution panel to make it look more professional rather than a 
plate of spaghetti <g>.
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Hello Walter,

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> 
>> - Graphics card that's pixel shader v1 (was a pre-pixel-shader
>> GeForceMX 2 for a long time, only upgraded because I found this one
>> for about $40 and wanted to play around with pixel shaders).
>> 
> I don't have a graphics card because of heat/fan/noise.
> 



I assume you must have an integrated chipset.



>> - The motherboard's USB is v1.x
>> 
> So's mine, and that really sucks. I'm going to get a card with 2.0 on
> it. USB is a home run, kudos to the designers of it.
> 


yep. :)



> I tried video editing, it's a no-go on my system. Not even close.
> 



Yep, you need lots of ram and lots of power for video editing.  64-bit is 
already supported by some of the leading video editing packages (maybe most, 
not sure).



> I bought an eee pc, as in a laptop I'm interested in portability, not
> desktop replacement.
> 


Heh, I did the same.  Unfortunately, I jumped on the bandwagon too early 
and got the one with the smaller screen and the 3 cell battery.   I can use 
it... but I am really disappointed that I don't have the larger screen version 
and longer battery life.

Also the competition for eee pc provided several better alternatives.  MSI 
had one really good product which my brother bought.   Alas, I can't justify 
another purchase, so I try to make do with my eee pc when I go on trips.

-JJR
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
John Reimer wrote:
> Wired is not necessarily backwards. :)  Despite the tangly lines, it's 
> just easier to keep secure.

There are more reasons to like wireds. Plug the wire in, and it works, 
you're up on the LAN. With wireless, there's usually 3-5 minutes of 
fiddling to get connected. And if it won't connect, you have no idea 
why, so you go cold boot the machine, cold boot the wireless access 
point, hold the antenna up, etc. Phui.

Don't tell me this is fixed, either. I just got a brand new eee pc. Plug 
in the wire, boom, perfection. Use the built in wireless, and fiddle, 
faddle, cold boot, faddle, fiddle, cold boot, fiddle, faddle, ah, now 
it's working. This is in the *AS SHIPPED* configuration, not something I 
downloaded or installed.
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
John Reimer wrote:
> Also the competition for eee pc provided several better alternatives.  
> MSI had one really good product which my brother bought.   Alas, I can't 
> justify another purchase, so I try to make do with my eee pc when I go 
> on trips.

I have the dinky screen, but it's fine. I also love it's ability to 
operate as a video skype-phone. Skype on the eee is a killer app, in my 
opinion.
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Hello Walter,

> John Reimer wrote:
> 
>> Wired is not necessarily backwards. :)  Despite the tangly lines,
>> it's just easier to keep secure.
>> 
> There are more reasons to like wireds. Plug the wire in, and it works,
> you're up on the LAN. With wireless, there's usually 3-5 minutes of
> fiddling to get connected. And if it won't connect, you have no idea
> why, so you go cold boot the machine, cold boot the wireless access
> point, hold the antenna up, etc. Phui.
> 
> Don't tell me this is fixed, either. I just got a brand new eee pc.
> Plug in the wire, boom, perfection. Use the built in wireless, and
> fiddle, faddle, cold boot, faddle, fiddle, cold boot, fiddle, faddle,
> ah, now it's working. This is in the *AS SHIPPED* configuration, not
> something I downloaded or installed.
> 


Yeah... there are more complexities with wireless, for sure.  That said, 
I haven't had that much trouble with wireless (not even on my eee pc).  It 
sometimes does require a fairly detailed knowledge of configuration, however, 
compared to wired.  When that's been the case, I have struggled with it.

-JJR
December 28, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
"John Reimer" <terminal.node@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:28b70f8c105848cb368cfc3632e0@news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Nick,
>
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1@digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:gj6mld$294o$1@digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> John Reimer wrote:
>>>
>>>> Incidentally, I'm still using my Compaq Presario X1000 laptop
>>>> (Pentium M 1.4 GHz) which is probably close to 6 years old now.
>>>> I've updated certain aspects of it and fixed it a couple of times.
>>>> Amazingly it keeps running... and performs quite well for my needs.
>>>>
>>> As my main machine, I use a P4 at 1.6 GHz, 512 Mb ram. I'm not sure
>>> how old it is, but when the power supply failed and I went to the
>>> nerd store to replace it, the guy said "I haven't seen one of these
>>> power supply configurations in years!" He sent me to the local pc
>>> recycler, where I got one out of a bin for $10.
>>>
>> Now that I don't feel like I'd be laughed out of the discussion in a
>> flurry of posts involving words like "archaic": Mine's a:
>>
>
>
> Ha! :)
>
> I should confess something here.  Two or three years ago, I actually 
> purchased components and built two AMD Athlon 64 systems for myself 
> (sequentially... not both at once).  The last one was a dual core.  But I 
> gave them away to family and settled on just using my old laptop.
> Both systems had fairly powerful graphics cards in them too.  They were 
> good systems and were great for playing the latest flight simulators... 
> but I decided I wanted to spend less time on games. :).   Right now the 
> dual core system is put to very good use by my younger brother and sisters 
> for video editing... one can never get too much power or memory for that 
> task.  Also, nowadays, video-editing among non-professionals is quite 
> common... so I think there may just be a whole lot more justification for 
> buying into some of these powerful systems than you might realize.
>

Oh yea, absolutely. Like I said, if I were one of the people out there that 
did a lot of video editing, I would want an upgrade, but I just don't really 
do that much of it. But video editing is one of the reasons I switched from 
my old AMD cpu to the 1.7 GHz Celeron: Premiere Pro requires...I think it's 
SSE2 it needs...but whatever it was, my older AMD CPU just didn't have it. 
(I do have a few beefs with Premiere, but I've just never liked any of the 
consumer-level editing apps...In fact I rarely like consumer-level apps at 
all. They're like the Fisher Price of software, except adults use them.)

>
>> - 1.7 GHz Celeron (was a 1.2GHz AMD K6-2 for a long time, but I bought
>> this CPU/MB off someone for about $25, seems to be about the same
>> performance though (makes sense, Celerons are notoriously low on
>> cache, or at least were last I checked)).
>>
>
>
> I've never heard of a 1.2 GHz K6-2.  Was that overclocked or something?  I 
> think most of those maxed out at 500 MHz.  I've used k6-3's and k6-2+'s 
> before.  Excellent CPU's for the time.
>

You're right, it wasn't a K6-2, I'm not sure why I was thinking that (I 
don't think I've ever even owned a K6-2). It was an Athlon Thunderbird.

>> - The motherboard's USB is v1.x
>>
>
>
> I can't stand USB v1.x  ... it's way to slow for hard drive operation. 
> The bandwidth just isn't sufficient anymore.
>

The only external HD I've been using is my portable media player, and I 
haven't had too much of a problem just setting up a batch copy and doing 
something else in the meantime. I do have a $20 USB 2.0 add-in card though. 
I don't remember if I actually have it plugged in at the moment though, this 
motherboard's pretty limited on expansion ports.

>> One other funny anecdote about "newer/trendier is not always better":
>> I've been recruited by a friend of my mom to replace/supplement her
>> small business's wireless network with a wired one.
>>
>> And now I'll stop rambling ;)
>>
>
>
> Wired is not necessarily backwards. :)

Exactly my point ;)  Average Joe Consumer sees all of this "Wireless! 
Wireless! Wireless!" hoopla and thinks it's "just simply better". Meanwhile, 
people like us are well aware that wireless is worse than wired in pretty 
much every area besides the convenience of not having a cord.
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home