View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
December 30, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Got to say, Linux's #1 drawback is lack of solid wireless support. It 
> can get very, very unnerving. Particularly because of the 
> chicken-and-egg thing: you install Linux and you want to get the wifi 
> working, but you can't download the appropriate driver because you can't 
> connect. Then the default network-manager is really crappy. My Linux 
> experience improved considerably when I found a drop-in replacement 
> called wicd (http://wicd.sf.net).


My router burned out this morning (nice smell of ozone), and when I went 
to the nerd store to get another, my eee pc was there on sale for $249, 
$100 less than I paid for it. The sign on it says "last one".
December 30, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Got to say, Linux's #1 drawback is lack of solid wireless support. It 
>> can get very, very unnerving. Particularly because of the 
>> chicken-and-egg thing: you install Linux and you want to get the wifi 
>> working, but you can't download the appropriate driver because you 
>> can't connect. Then the default network-manager is really crappy. My 
>> Linux experience improved considerably when I found a drop-in 
>> replacement called wicd (http://wicd.sf.net).
> 
> 
> My router burned out this morning (nice smell of ozone), and when I went 
> to the nerd store to get another, my eee pc was there on sale for $249, 
> $100 less than I paid for it. The sign on it says "last one".

IMHO people noticed 10'' is the perfect keyboard access/portability 
combination, so 9'' fell sharply out of favor.

Andrei
December 30, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Hello Andrei,

> Walter Bright wrote:
> 
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> 
>>> Got to say, Linux's #1 drawback is lack of solid wireless support.
>>> It can get very, very unnerving. Particularly because of the
>>> chicken-and-egg thing: you install Linux and you want to get the
>>> wifi working, but you can't download the appropriate driver because
>>> you can't connect. Then the default network-manager is really
>>> crappy. My Linux experience improved considerably when I found a
>>> drop-in replacement called wicd (http://wicd.sf.net).
>>> 
>> My router burned out this morning (nice smell of ozone), and when I
>> went to the nerd store to get another, my eee pc was there on sale
>> for $249, $100 less than I paid for it. The sign on it says "last
>> one".
>> 
> IMHO people noticed 10'' is the perfect keyboard access/portability
> combination, so 9'' fell sharply out of favor.
> 
> Andrei
> 


I'd say it was the small screen more than the keyboard (which they made larger 
in the next asus eee release).  But, I think the reason really is that ASUS 
lost out to all the other better options that flooded the market after their 
initial release.  It's true that most of these probably had a larger keyboard 
as well, though.  But they also had a larger screen, more memory, and much 
more hard drive space. :)

-JJR
December 30, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
On 2008-12-25 21:30:52 +0100, Walter Bright <newshound1@digitalmars.com> said:

> What platforms for dmd would you be most interested in using?

In order of decreasing precedence:

Mac OS X 64-bit Intel
Linux x86_64
Mac OS X 32-bit Intel

I wouldn't use the other platforms much (if at all).

Take care,
Daniel
December 30, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
On 2008-12-26 06:18:33 +0100, "Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> said:
> 2. I have absolutely zero interest in 64-bit. To the people annoyed at the
> limitations of the 32-bit address space: What in the world are you working
> on? Non-linear video editors and 3D modeling packages?

Natural language processing. E.g. most parsers and generators with a 
wide-coverage grammar will need a lot of memory, since ambiguity of 
sentences increases dramatically with sentence length.

Or to give a specific example: we have recently extended some 
techniques for error mining in parsing results. In natural language 
parsing, a possible parsing failure is the inability to find a parse 
that spans a whole sentence (as opposed to e.g. an incorrect parse). 
Error mining tries to find the most probable causes (words or phrases) 
for the such parsing failures. If iterative error mining methods are 
applied to parsing results of large corpera (or domain-specific corpera 
where a relatively large number of sentences fail to parse), it's easy 
to break the 4GB barrier.

-- Daniel
December 31, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
John Reimer wrote:
> I'd say it was the small screen more than the keyboard (which they made 
> larger in the next asus eee release).  But, I think the reason really is 
> that ASUS lost out to all the other better options that flooded the 
> market after their initial release.  It's true that most of these 
> probably had a larger keyboard as well, though.  But they also had a 
> larger screen, more memory, and much more hard drive space. :)

They'll get bigger and bigger, till someone revolutionizes the market 
again with a small one!
December 31, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Hello Walter,

> John Reimer wrote:
> 
>> I'd say it was the small screen more than the keyboard (which they
>> made larger in the next asus eee release).  But, I think the reason
>> really is that ASUS lost out to all the other better options that
>> flooded the market after their initial release.  It's true that most
>> of these probably had a larger keyboard as well, though.  But they
>> also had a larger screen, more memory, and much more hard drive
>> space. :)
>> 
> They'll get bigger and bigger, till someone revolutionizes the market
> again with a small one!
> 


lol!  :D
December 31, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Walter Bright wrote:
> What platforms for dmd would you be most interested in using?
> 
> .net
> jvm
> mac osx 32 bit intel
> mac osx 64 bit intel
> linux 64 bit
> windows 64 bit
> freebsd 32 bit
> netbsd 32 bit
> 
> other?

Mac mac mac mac mac. Did I say mac already?

some time in the future:
64bit win/lin
jvm
December 31, 2008
Re: dmd platform support - poll
Walter Bright Wrote:

> What platforms for dmd would you be most interested in using?
> 
> .net
> jvm
> mac osx 32 bit intel
> mac osx 64 bit intel
> linux 64 bit
> windows 64 bit
> freebsd 32 bit
> netbsd 32 bit
> 
> other?

I'm most interested in .net and Windows 64-bit platforms, would love to see D support them (and of course refined support for multi-cpus).
January 04, 2009
Re: dmd platform support - poll
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 15:56:29 -0800, Sean Kelly wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> What platforms for dmd would you be most interested in using?
> 
> In order of preference:
> 
> mac osx 32 bit intel
> linux 64 bit
> mac osx 64 bit intel

Ditto
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home