View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
December 30, 2008
Re: 128 bit signed and unsigned integer types
Don wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>>
>>
>> Chad J wrote:
>>> Cool, but don't name it FixedInt unless it implements fixed point
>>> arithmetic.
>>
>> Fine, but don't name it 'Integer' or 'Int' unless it can store any 
>> value in the set of integers; you know, the infinite one that doesn't 
>> have that stupid "1 + T.max = T.min" nonsense.
>>
>> The name 'FixedInt' is ambiguous because it doesn't specify what 
>> attribute of the int is being fixed; *you* look at it and see 
>> 'FixedPointInt' which is clearly impossible.  Someone else will look 
>> at it and see 'FixedWidthInt'.  Yet another person will see 
>> 'FixedValueInt' and question why they didn't just use const.
>>
>> No matter what name you come up with, you're eventually going to find 
>> someone who hates it and can come up with a good reason for not using it.
> 
> I disagree. I'm with Chad. 'Fixed' has a very well established meaning 
> in computer arithmetic, and it means 'Fixed point arithmetic' (it's as 
> fundamental a term as 'floating'.
> It's a shame that 'widthed' isn't a word. 'WidthedInt' seems to be the 
> concept we want. 'SizedInt' ?

I think the bicycle shed would look hideous if it were named anything 
but "Int(uint bits)".
December 30, 2008
Re: 128 bit signed and unsigned integer types
Don wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>>
>>
>> Chad J wrote:
>>> Cool, but don't name it FixedInt unless it implements fixed point
>>> arithmetic.
>>
>> Fine, but don't name it 'Integer' or 'Int' unless it can store any 
>> value in the set of integers; you know, the infinite one that doesn't 
>> have that stupid "1 + T.max = T.min" nonsense.
>>
>> The name 'FixedInt' is ambiguous because it doesn't specify what 
>> attribute of the int is being fixed; *you* look at it and see 
>> 'FixedPointInt' which is clearly impossible.  Someone else will look 
>> at it and see 'FixedWidthInt'.  Yet another person will see 
>> 'FixedValueInt' and question why they didn't just use const.
>>
>> No matter what name you come up with, you're eventually going to find 
>> someone who hates it and can come up with a good reason for not using it.
> 
> I disagree. I'm with Chad. 'Fixed' has a very well established meaning 
> in computer arithmetic, and it means 'Fixed point arithmetic' (it's as 
> fundamental a term as 'floating'.

I think Int following Fixed pretty much takes that meaning away, but 
that's only me.

> It's a shame that 'widthed' isn't a word. 'WidthedInt' seems to be the 
> concept we want. 'SizedInt' ?

I like them less than FixedInt, but I trust a better name will come forth.


Andrei
December 30, 2008
Re: 128 bit signed and unsigned integer types
Don wrote:
> 
> I disagree. I'm with Chad. 'Fixed' has a very well established meaning 
> in computer arithmetic, and it means 'Fixed point arithmetic' (it's as 
> fundamental a term as 'floating'.
> It's a shame that 'widthed' isn't a word. 'WidthedInt' seems to be the 
> concept we want. 'SizedInt' ?

I like names that read like a phrase.  How about IntOfSize?  Second 
choice would be SizedInt.


Sean
Next ›   Last »
1 2 3 4 5
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home