View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
January 21, 2009
Weird JFace Preferences bug
I think I found a really weird bug in JFace. I use DWT 3.4-1, Tango
0.99.7 and DMD 1.028.
A minimal example really is minimal:

---

module bug;

import jive.stacktrace; //Optional
import dwtx.jface.preference.PreferenceManager;

void main(char[][] args) {
}

---

If libicu is not installed, it crashes at runtime. Should better be a
compile time error. If it is installed:

---

tango.core.Exception.IllegalElementException: Attempt to include invalid
key _in Collection
----------------
0x0827d4b5 [bug] object.traceContext
0x0827d428 [bug] object.Exception._ctor
0x08277ca9 [bug] tango.core.Exception.IllegalElementException._ctor
0x0809c3b5 [bug]
tango.util.collection.impl.MapCollection.MapCollection!(dwt.widgets.Display,
dwtx.jface.resource.ResourceManager).MapCollection.checkKey
0x0809af6b [bug]
tango.util.collection.HashMap.HashMap!(dwt.widgets.Display,
dwtx.jface.resource.ResourceManager).HashMap.add
0x08099fc9 [bug]
dwtx.jface.resource.JFaceResources.JFaceResources.getResources
0x08099f67 [bug]
dwtx.jface.resource.JFaceResources.JFaceResources.getResources
0x0809a156 [bug]
dwtx.jface.resource.JFaceResources.JFaceResources.getImageRegistry
0x0815bfb0 [bug]
dwtx.jface.viewers.DialogCellEditor.DialogCellEditor._staticCtor18
0x0815c63b [bug] dwtx.jface.viewers.DialogCellEditor.__modctor
0x0827d6c1 [bug] object._moduleCtor2
0x0827d704 [bug] object._moduleCtor2
0x0827d5a3 [bug] _moduleCtor
0x0827e036 [bug] dmain2.main.runAll
0x0827dde8 [bug] dmain2.main.tryExec
0x0827dd91 [bug] main
0xf75ae44f [libc-2.7.so]
0x08054400 [bug] _start

---

I spent a lot of time finding what caused this. The minimal *working*
example is:

---

module bug;

import dwtx.jface.preference.PreferenceManager;
import dwt.widgets.Display;
import dwt.layout.RowLayout;

void main(char[][] args) {
}

---

You have to import Display and RowLayout or else a static this() fails.
I didn't find any clue what actually causes this behaviour.
January 21, 2009
Re: Weird JFace Preferences bug
Gian Perrone schrieb:
> I think I found a really weird bug in JFace. I use DWT 3.4-1, Tango
> 0.99.7 and DMD 1.028.
> A minimal example really is minimal:
> 
> ---
> 
> module bug;
> 
> import jive.stacktrace; //Optional
> import dwtx.jface.preference.PreferenceManager;
> 
> void main(char[][] args) {
> }
> 
> ---
> 
> If libicu is not installed, it crashes at runtime. Should better be a
> compile time error. If it is installed:
> 
> ---
> 
> tango.core.Exception.IllegalElementException: Attempt to include invalid
> key _in Collection
> ----------------
> 0x0827d4b5 [bug] object.traceContext
> 0x0827d428 [bug] object.Exception._ctor
> 0x08277ca9 [bug] tango.core.Exception.IllegalElementException._ctor
> 0x0809c3b5 [bug]
> tango.util.collection.impl.MapCollection.MapCollection!(dwt.widgets.Display,
> dwtx.jface.resource.ResourceManager).MapCollection.checkKey
> 0x0809af6b [bug]
> tango.util.collection.HashMap.HashMap!(dwt.widgets.Display,
> dwtx.jface.resource.ResourceManager).HashMap.add
> 0x08099fc9 [bug]
> dwtx.jface.resource.JFaceResources.JFaceResources.getResources
> 0x08099f67 [bug]
> dwtx.jface.resource.JFaceResources.JFaceResources.getResources
> 0x0809a156 [bug]
> dwtx.jface.resource.JFaceResources.JFaceResources.getImageRegistry
> 0x0815bfb0 [bug]
> dwtx.jface.viewers.DialogCellEditor.DialogCellEditor._staticCtor18
> 0x0815c63b [bug] dwtx.jface.viewers.DialogCellEditor.__modctor
> 0x0827d6c1 [bug] object._moduleCtor2
> 0x0827d704 [bug] object._moduleCtor2
> 0x0827d5a3 [bug] _moduleCtor
> 0x0827e036 [bug] dmain2.main.runAll
> 0x0827dde8 [bug] dmain2.main.tryExec
> 0x0827dd91 [bug] main
> 0xf75ae44f [libc-2.7.so]
> 0x08054400 [bug] _start
> 
> ---
> 
> I spent a lot of time finding what caused this. The minimal *working*
> example is:
> 
> ---
> 
> module bug;
> 
> import dwtx.jface.preference.PreferenceManager;
> import dwt.widgets.Display;
> import dwt.layout.RowLayout;
> 
> void main(char[][] args) {
> }
> 
> ---
> 
> You have to import Display and RowLayout or else a static this() fails.
> I didn't find any clue what actually causes this behaviour.
> 

The problem occurs in the tango.util.collections. They are used in the
latest release. But the current development repositories do no more use
those, they use the tango.util.containers and have explicit wrappers to
make them compatible to the Java collections.

I would recommend to use the sources from the dev repository. The reason
there is not a more actual release is, I am waiting for the next tango
release. :/

I tried your testcase with the current source code, current tango from
svn, the ICU libs removed, on winxp.
The was no error shown.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home