April 08, 2009
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> 
> 
> I just committed all of Phobos into svn on dsource.org. That is not an
> official release and has known and unknown bugs, limitations, and
> rhinodemons. I expect some ripples before we stabilize, but when we will
> we'll stabilize at a higher potential.

This looks very impressive, and makes me want to switch to D2. :) When do you expect the new Phobos (and the new rdmd) to be shipped with DMD?

Do you plan to add to std.functional the 'curry' and 'bind' templates that were discussed in the NG recently?

Thanks for putting in the hard work!

-Lars
April 08, 2009
Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> 
> *** std.format
> 
> * Added vector parsing and printing with the specifier "%()". For
> example, writefln("[%(s; )]", [1, 2, 3][]) writes "[1; 2; 3]". This
> support is experimental and may be changed in the future.

oh, please, don't remove this feature in future! it is helpfull. change if need, but not remove please.
April 08, 2009
Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> 
>> I just committed all of Phobos into svn on dsource.org. That is not an
>> official release and has known and unknown bugs, limitations, and
>> rhinodemons. I expect some ripples before we stabilize, but when we will
>> we'll stabilize at a higher potential.
> 
> Will the final release support "osx" [sic] and "freebsd" too,
> or is the new Phobos going to be "Windows" and "linux" only ?
> 
>> If you want to build Phobos yourself, check out the Makefile (not
>> linux.mak; that won't work). That GNU Makefile, hosted on Linux, can
>> build the Linux lib and also the Windows lib by using wine. (I'm very
>> happy about this; now I can test on Windows and Linux without switching
>> more than a command line tweak.)
> 
> For instance, things like these look a bit hardcoded to linux:
> EXTRA_MODULES_posix = $(addprefix std/c/linux/, linux socket)
> 
> --anders

I'll need to defer such testing and answers to Walter; I don't have access to OSX and FreeBSD.

Andrei
April 08, 2009
Lars Kyllingstad wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>>
>> I just committed all of Phobos into svn on dsource.org. That is not an
>> official release and has known and unknown bugs, limitations, and
>> rhinodemons. I expect some ripples before we stabilize, but when we will
>> we'll stabilize at a higher potential.
> 
> This looks very impressive, and makes me want to switch to D2. :) When do you expect the new Phobos (and the new rdmd) to be shipped with DMD?

This month.

> Do you plan to add to std.functional the 'curry' and 'bind' templates that were discussed in the NG recently?
> 
> Thanks for putting in the hard work!

I'll add curry, but bind seems to be a lot less popular.


Andrei
April 08, 2009
Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> 
> 
> I just committed all of Phobos into svn on dsource.org. That is not an official release and has known and unknown bugs, limitations, and rhinodemons. I expect some ripples before we stabilize, but when we will we'll stabilize at a higher potential.

So, it is in svn. Does that mean we can check things out and make alterations that we've already coded and wanted for some time?

What are the rules?

Steve

April 08, 2009
Steve Teale wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
> 
>> Hi everybody,
>> 
>> 
>> I just committed all of Phobos into svn on dsource.org. That is not
>> an official release and has known and unknown bugs, limitations,
>> and rhinodemons. I expect some ripples before we stabilize, but
>> when we will we'll stabilize at a higher potential.
> 
> So, it is in svn. Does that mean we can check things out and make
> alterations that we've already coded and wanted for some time?
> 
> What are the rules?
> 
> Steve
> 

Phobos has been in svn on dsource.org for a while. As with any project, there's no specific rules unless you have write access to the repository. We'd be glad to receive bug reports, fixes, additions, and patches.

Andrei
April 08, 2009
novice2 wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
> 
>> *** std.format
>> 
>> * Added vector parsing and printing with the specifier "%()". For example, writefln("[%(s; )]", [1, 2, 3][]) writes "[1; 2; 3]". This
>>  support is experimental and may be changed in the future.
> 
> oh, please, don't remove this feature in future! it is helpfull.
> change if need, but not remove please.

I love it too. In all likelihood we'll only add to it.

Andrei
April 08, 2009
Hi,

I looked at std.algorithm. Wow, what a piece of art.

BTW. What about your book on D? Any known dates? I know nothing about publishing business, so forgive my ignorance in advance.

Cheers
April 08, 2009
Andrei Alexandrescu:
> writefln("[%(s; )]", [1, 2, 3][]) writes "[1; 2; 3]"

Most times you don't want to change the separator. For the uncommon cases where you want a different separator, you can use a map plus a std.string.join. So I don't like it.

Bye,
bearophile
April 08, 2009
bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> writefln("[%(s; )]", [1, 2, 3][]) writes "[1; 2; 3]"
> 
> Most times you don't want to change the separator. For the uncommon
> cases where you want a different separator, you can use a map plus a
> std.string.join. So I don't like it.

How about parsing?

Andrei
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home