View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
May 27, 2009
D2 std.conv to D1 please
I've been wanting to write a D-styled data format module but just got 
extremely discouraged :)
Most of the functionality I need for this is already available in D2's 
std.conv.
Is it possible to add this functionality into D1's std.conv?
May 28, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Saaa <empty@needmail.com> wrote:
> I've been wanting to write a D-styled data format module but just got
> extremely discouraged :)
> Most of the functionality I need for this is already available in D2's
> std.conv.
> Is it possible to add this functionality into D1's std.conv?
>
>
>

Have a look at std2.  It's a backporting of some features of Phobos 2,
including some of the new std.conv, to D1:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/std2
May 28, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
>
> Have a look at std2.  It's a backporting of some features of Phobos 2,
> including some of the new std.conv, to D1:
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/std2

Looks nice!
Why can't this be in official Phobos1?
It's a ploy from the D2 camp, right?
May 28, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
> Why can't this be in official Phobos1?

Especially because the documentation gets more and more outdated the further 
D2 progresses from 2.008 :(
May 28, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Saaa <empty@needmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Have a look at std2.  It's a backporting of some features of Phobos 2,
>> including some of the new std.conv, to D1:
>>
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/std2
>
> Looks nice!
> Why can't this be in official Phobos1?
> It's a ploy from the D2 camp, right?

If by "ploy" you mean "Walter's official stance not to change D1 or
Phobos 1," then yes, it's a ploy.  But that's a bit harsh, no?

Also, if you need the Phobos docs from 2.008, just download the 2.008
DMD zip.  They're in there.
May 28, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
> Why can't this be in official Phobos1?
> It's a ploy from the D2 camp, right? :)

>If by "ploy" you mean "Walter's official stance not to change D1 or
>Phobos 1," then yes, it's a ploy.  But that's a bit harsh, no?
I fixed it to how I meant it.

But I do find it a tad strange.
What disadvantage is there? Additional bugs maybe..
Sorry, this is probably a very old and closed discussion :)

>Also, if you need the Phobos docs from 2.008, just download the 2.008
>DMD zip.  They're in there.

Maybe the docs could be on the project page, as now the links are to the 
latest phobos.
June 10, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
Saaa wrote:
>> Why can't this be in official Phobos1?
>> It's a ploy from the D2 camp, right? :)
> 
>> If by "ploy" you mean "Walter's official stance not to change D1 or
>> Phobos 1," then yes, it's a ploy.  But that's a bit harsh, no?
>  I fixed it to how I meant it.
> 
> But I do find it a tad strange.
> What disadvantage is there? Additional bugs maybe..
> Sorry, this is probably a very old and closed discussion :)

I'm not sure that it's closed. Things generally cannot be removed from 
D1 phobos. And as long as D2 Phobos is in flux, porting D2 to D1 would 
be a problem -- D1 has to be stable, it can't have something added to it 
which is an unstable work-in-progress. The question of whether a stable 
part of Phobos D2 could be backported to Phobos1 is I think still open.

> 
>> Also, if you need the Phobos docs from 2.008, just download the 2.008
>> DMD zip.  They're in there.
> 
> Maybe the docs could be on the project page, as now the links are to the 
> latest phobos. 
> 
>
June 10, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
Don Wrote:

> Saaa wrote:
> >> Why can't this be in official Phobos1?
> >> It's a ploy from the D2 camp, right? :)
> > 
> >> If by "ploy" you mean "Walter's official stance not to change D1 or
> >> Phobos 1," then yes, it's a ploy.  But that's a bit harsh, no?
> >  I fixed it to how I meant it.
> > 
> > But I do find it a tad strange.
> > What disadvantage is there? Additional bugs maybe..
> > Sorry, this is probably a very old and closed discussion :)
> 
> I'm not sure that it's closed. Things generally cannot be removed from 
> D1 phobos. And as long as D2 Phobos is in flux, porting D2 to D1 would 
> be a problem -- D1 has to be stable, it can't have something added to it 
> which is an unstable work-in-progress. The question of whether a stable 
> part of Phobos D2 could be backported to Phobos1 is I think still open.

I would be surprised to see a D2 Phobos officially ported to and distributed with D1. I think someone has done a partial port already.

Given the upcoming finalizetion of D2 it'd be great to see if there could be some reflection on lessons learned from D1. There's a fine line between stable and stale.
June 10, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Saaa<empty@needmail.com> wrote:
> I've been wanting to write a D-styled data format module but just got
> extremely discouraged :)
> Most of the functionality I need for this is already available in D2's
> std.conv.
> Is it possible to add this functionality into D1's std.conv?

The dsource std2 project has D1 ports of some parts of D2's phobos.

I wrote on the main page that it has std.conv.   But it's been a while
since I did any updates to it, so the version might be out of date
with what's currently in D2 std.conv.

--bb
June 10, 2009
Re: D2 std.conv to D1 please
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Bill Baxter<wbaxter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Saaa<empty@needmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been wanting to write a D-styled data format module but just got
>> extremely discouraged :)
>> Most of the functionality I need for this is already available in D2's
>> std.conv.
>> Is it possible to add this functionality into D1's std.conv?
>
> The dsource std2 project has D1 ports of some parts of D2's phobos.
>
> I wrote on the main page that it has std.conv.

Just to clarify, the std2 ports were done by me, but it was a while
back.  The fact that I listed "std.conv" among the ported modules on
the dsource page there must mean that I thought it was pretty much
ported at the time made that page.

URL: http://www.dsource.org/projects/std2

--bb
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home