June 21, 2009
As stated in the "D wiki" post, I am planning to do major reorganization of the prowiki content. In order to effectively do this I have to make a lot of changes and would like some input on how I should handle them.

Brad, I take it that the replacement effort is a no go?

The process will take time to complete, I'd like to know how important it is to keep access to all pages? I don't intend the final result to contain every existing page or its content.

Input on how separating information about D1 vs D2 would be good. The issue being a lot of content is shared but some of it is not.

The main question is, how important is authorship on a wiki? The problems below show what I'm referring to.

Moving Pages:

I want to make a consistent hierarchy for the pages. I realize I can reference the pages as they currently are, and many I will. The main one I'm looking at is "NotesForProgrammersUsedTo" pages, and instead just call it "ComingFrom" allowing for "ComingFrom/JavaLanguage."

I don't think you can move pages, so if I just copy the content into a new page then I'd become the "author." I don't have a desire to reference the old page, since that would be unclean, so what would be the appropriate way to handle this?

Moving Content:

Also related to the authorship problem is moving around sections of content from one page to another.
June 21, 2009
Jesse Phillips wrote:
> As stated in the "D wiki" post, I am planning to do major reorganization of the prowiki content. In order to effectively do this I have to make a lot of changes and would like some input on how I should handle them.
> 
> Brad, I take it that the replacement effort is a no go?
> 
> The process will take time to complete, I'd like to know how important it is to keep access to all pages? I don't intend the final result to contain every existing page or its content.
> 
> Input on how separating information about D1 vs D2 would be good. The issue being a lot of content is shared but some of it is not.
> 
> The main question is, how important is authorship on a wiki? The problems below show what I'm referring to.
> 
> Moving Pages:
> 
> I want to make a consistent hierarchy for the pages. I realize I can reference the pages as they currently are, and many I will. The main one I'm looking at is "NotesForProgrammersUsedTo" pages, and instead just call it "ComingFrom" allowing for "ComingFrom/JavaLanguage."
> 
> I don't think you can move pages, so if I just copy the content into a new page then I'd become the "author." I don't have a desire to reference the old page, since that would be unclean, so what would be the appropriate way to handle this?

The only real reason to track authorship is for legal reasons. If the history of the old pages is still there online, then this shouldn't be a big deal.

> 
> Moving Content:
> 
> Also related to the authorship problem is moving around sections of content from one page to another.
June 21, 2009
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:41:42 +0000, Jesse Phillips wrote:

I could also use some opinions on naming. Because the Wiki requires camel case to make links I need/want to turn my one word pages into two word. Which has created repetition: DevelopmentWithD/DevelopmentTools/DebugTool

I don't think this is a big issue, but looking for opinions anyway.
June 22, 2009
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:40:40 +0000, Jesse Phillips wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:41:42 +0000, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> 
> I could also use some opinions on naming. Because the Wiki requires camel case to make links I need/want to turn my one word pages into two word. Which has created repetition: DevelopmentWithD/DevelopmentTools/DebugTool
> 
> I don't think this is a big issue, but looking for opinions anyway.

Nevermind I can have my One word Pages.

Otherwise everything is going well, most of the organization is planned out and am currently building the page content. The first stage will be using a lot of existing pages unmodified. The plan is to provide a few things.

-- More consistent page layout
-- Clear navigation points allowing the user to flow through pages
-- Separation of Language development and learning content
-- Removal of stagnant content and pages which are adding little value.
-- A help page that gives guidance on the best places to contribute their
content

To give a taste of what is to come the front page will consist of these links:

* Why switch to D * Learning D as a first language * Learning D as a second language * Language Specification * Setting up an environment to compile programs * Seeking help using D * Language Development * Development with D * Current uses of D
June 23, 2009
Jesse Phillips wrote:
> As stated in the "D wiki" post, I am planning to do major reorganization of the prowiki content. In order to effectively do this I have to make a lot of changes and would like some input on how I should handle them.

Yay.. a fresh look at the overall structure would be good.  While you're doing it, please move anything that's essentially a bug report into bugzilla instead of being in the wiki.

> Brad, I take it that the replacement effort is a no go?

I'm certainly willing to setup mediawiki for us.  The responses on the thread I started a while ago ranged from useless side-discussions to luke warm to insulting.  So I haven't done anything (that and I've been on vacation out of town for the last 5 days).

Want me to?  I look to the main people who maintain the wiki for guidance. Personally, I think it'd be an improvement, but I'm just one among many.

> The process will take time to complete, I'd like to know how important it is to keep access to all pages? I don't intend the final result to contain every existing page or its content.

I wouldn't consider keeping all the content terribly important.  There's a lot of out of date info.  Probably a good bit of redundant info too.

Later,
Brad
June 23, 2009
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:30:36 -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:

> I'm certainly willing to setup mediawiki for us.  The responses on the thread I started a while ago ranged from useless side-discussions to luke warm to insulting.  So I haven't done anything (that and I've been on vacation out of town for the last 5 days).
> 
> Want me to?  I look to the main people who maintain the wiki for guidance. Personally, I think it'd be an improvement, but I'm just one among many.
> 
> Later,
> Brad

Personally I don't see much difference from one wiki to another, I never try to do anything fancy with them. I should have the restructured site up by the end of the week, but it will still need more content cleanup.
June 23, 2009
== Quote from Jesse Phillips (jessekphillips@gmail.com)'s article
...
> Personally I don't see much difference from one wiki to another, I never try to do anything fancy with them. I should have the restructured site up by the end of the week, but it will still need more content cleanup.

Jesse,

I'm curious whether you were going to set up redirects for the new
pages as part of your reorganization efforts (e.g., "#REDIRECT ComingFrom/BASICVariants").

Here's an example of a redirected page: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?edit=DocComments/StdBitarray
June 23, 2009
Justin Calvarese Wrote:

> Jesse,
> 
> I'm curious whether you were going to set up redirects for the new
> pages as part of your reorganization efforts (e.g., "#REDIRECT ComingFrom/BASICVariants").
> 
> Here's an example of a redirected page: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?edit=DocComments/StdBitarray

I would love to, thank you for the information on how to do that.
June 23, 2009
Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:30:36 -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:
> 
>> I'm certainly willing to setup mediawiki for us.  The responses on the thread I started a while ago ranged from useless side-discussions to luke warm to insulting.  So I haven't done anything (that and I've been on vacation out of town for the last 5 days).
>>
>> Want me to?  I look to the main people who maintain the wiki for guidance. Personally, I think it'd be an improvement, but I'm just one among many.
>>
>> Later,
>> Brad
> 
> Personally I don't see much difference from one wiki to another, I never try to do anything fancy with them. I should have the restructured site up by the end of the week, but it will still need more content cleanup.

Ok.. then let's just leave things as they are.  One request, would you work out how to make examining the history of a page work correctly?  I never can seem to get anything other than the most recent change.  Admittedly, I haven't tried in a while.  That's one of the things about mediawiki I really like.  Exploring the document history is _easy_.

Thanks,
Brad

June 23, 2009
On 23.06.2009 22:05, Brad Roberts wrote:
> Ok.. then let's just leave things as they are.  One request, would you work out
> how to make examining the history of a page work correctly?  I never can seem to
> get anything other than the most recent change.  Admittedly, I haven't tried in
> a while.  That's one of the things about mediawiki I really like.  Exploring the
> document history is _easy_.

You problably want the link at the bottom called Archive.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home