November 14
On Saturday, 14 November 2020 at 16:03:31 UTC, Jack wrote:
>  are you going to cut features only not change anything else?

Indeed. Less is sometimes more.


November 15
On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:08:55 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> I am starting a project to create a new language based on D.
>
> The name I have chosen is Laser-D.
> It is supposed to be Lesser D - rather than Better C. This follows from my post about better branding for Better-C.
>

Started working on docs. It will take sometime to cover everything I need to cover, but in the meantime if anyone cares to provide feedback that would be very welcome!

https://laser-d.github.io/

Sources are at:

https://github.com/laser-d/laser-d-docs/edit/main/src/laser-d.rst

It is being written in reStructuredText.


November 17
On Friday, 13 November 2020 at 12:25:48 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:28:44 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
> I think it is too early for that as my project is not yet started, and it may not have any traction. I believe that if I can create solid documentation then it might make a difference but we will see.
>
> Fortunately or not - I have limited time - so I won't be making changes to D other than very simple patches to switch off some things. I simply cannot afford to spend time on maintaining a different code base. My main focus will be to create documentation.
>
> I can probably do one thing - guarantee that the new language is a proper subset of D and that any code in laser-D is guaranteed to build with dmd, ldc, gdc.

people want betterC, and if we can add Interface to current D's (betterC) struct (which works like Rust's trait), it would be more attractive! ^_^

----
binghoo dang
November 17
On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 at 05:50:27 UTC, dangbinghoo wrote:

>
> people want betterC, and if we can add Interface to current D's (betterC) struct (which works like Rust's trait), it would be more attractive! ^_^
>

Yes, right now Better C is not a match for Rust because Rust has traits and algebraic types which are really important ways to improve on C.

I am not sure if I will be able to solve this as I do not want to make changes that would be incompatible with D.

November 17
On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 at 05:50:27 UTC, dangbinghoo wrote:
> On Friday, 13 November 2020 at 12:25:48 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:28:44 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I think it is too early for that as my project is not yet started, and it may not have any traction. I believe that if I can create solid documentation then it might make a difference but we will see.
>>
>> Fortunately or not - I have limited time - so I won't be making changes to D other than very simple patches to switch off some things. I simply cannot afford to spend time on maintaining a different code base. My main focus will be to create documentation.
>>
>> I can probably do one thing - guarantee that the new language is a proper subset of D and that any code in laser-D is guaranteed to build with dmd, ldc, gdc.
>
> people want betterC, and if we can add Interface to current D's (betterC) struct (which works like Rust's trait), it would be more attractive! ^_^
>
> ----
> binghoo dang

You might find Atila Neves's tardy [1] or Jean-Louis Leroy's open methods [2] libraries interesting. I don't know if they work with betterC though.


[1] https://github.com/atilaneves/tardy
[2] https://github.com/jll63/openmethods.d
November 18
On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 at 13:12:04 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 at 05:50:27 UTC, dangbinghoo wrote:
>> On Friday, 13 November 2020 at 12:25:48 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>>> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:28:44 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
>>>
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think it is too early for that as my project is not yet started, and it may not have any traction. I believe that if I can create solid documentation then it might make a difference but we will see.
>>>
>>> Fortunately or not - I have limited time - so I won't be making changes to D other than very simple patches to switch off some things. I simply cannot afford to spend time on maintaining a different code base. My main focus will be to create documentation.
>>>
>>> I can probably do one thing - guarantee that the new language is a proper subset of D and that any code in laser-D is guaranteed to build with dmd, ldc, gdc.
>>
>> people want betterC, and if we can add Interface to current D's (betterC) struct (which works like Rust's trait), it would be more attractive! ^_^
>>
>> ----
>> binghoo dang
>
> You might find Atila Neves's tardy [1] or Jean-Louis Leroy's open methods [2] libraries interesting. I don't know if they work with betterC though.
>
>
> [1] https://github.com/atilaneves/tardy
> [2] https://github.com/jll63/openmethods.d

it seems that tardy is more close to this topic. and open-methods is dispatching system for 'Normal D'. and both of them uses keyword `interface`, and "Interfaces describe a list of functions that a class that inherits from the interface must implement". shows these may not work with betterC.

thanks!
----
binghoo dang
November 18
On 2020-11-12 20:00, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:28:44 UTC, Faux Amis wrote:
> 
>> Maybe these type of subset languages could be integrated in the D frontpage.
> 
> I hope not. That would create lots of problems:
> 
> - There are multiple versions of the language.
> - What happens when a version dies? What do you tell the developers (perhaps even businesses) that relied on a version they downloaded from the official homepage that now have a dead version?
> - What if a developer makes weird changes (like removing int, which would still be a subset) or goes Windows-only because of the burden maintaining for multiple OSes? Is that something that should be promoted on the official homepage?
> 
> These are just the problems that immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are others. Open source is wonderful because it lets things like this happen. That doesn't mean we want to promote them on dlang.org.

I wasn't clear before. The subset I was thinking about would only be supervisual; the basic-D documentation and tutorials would only touch those parts that would be part of the basic-D version. The underlying compiler would just be the normal dmd compiler, nothing changed.

I thik that within D there is a nice novice language lurking, but it is hidden by all the complex parts.
November 25
On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 00:58:40 UTC, dangbinghoo wrote:
> both of them uses keyword `interface`, and "Interfaces describe a list of functions that a class that inherits from the interface must implement". shows these may not work with betterC.

Pretty sure tardy only uses an interface definition for compile time introspection (probably the same goes for open-methods). The instance of Polymorphic doesn't convert to any interface type or Object.
November 25
On Sunday, 15 November 2020 at 18:22:06 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:08:55 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>> I am starting a project to create a new language based on D.
>>
>> The name I have chosen is Laser-D.
>> It is supposed to be Lesser D - rather than Better C. This follows from my post about better branding for Better-C.
>>
>
> Started working on docs. It will take sometime to cover everything I need to cover, but in the meantime if anyone cares to provide feedback that would be very welcome!
>
> https://laser-d.github.io/
>
> Sources are at:
>
> https://github.com/laser-d/laser-d-docs/edit/main/src/laser-d.rst
>
> It is being written in reStructuredText.

Nice initiative
Next ›   Last »
1 2