View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
August 29, 2010
Re: Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]
Among the Bugzilla entries added by me, I suggest Don to focus his efforts on (and try to create patches for):

3971 3849 3948 3856 3825 3878 3981 3990 3999 4053 4085 4216 4349
4375 4407 4475 4625 4511 4530 4580 4664 4668 4678 4703 4733

Entries in that list often don't contain normal bugs or additive enhancements.

Bye,
bearophile
August 29, 2010
Re: Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:59:02 -0500, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com>  
wrote:

> Among the Bugzilla entries added by me, I suggest Don to focus his  
> efforts on (and try to create patches for):
>
> 3971 3849 3948 3856 3825 3878 3981 3990 3999 4053 4085 4216 4349
> 4375 4407 4475 4625 4511 4530 4580 4664 4668 4678 4703 4733
>
> Entries in that list often don't contain normal bugs or additive  
> enhancements.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

<g> What stops you from creating patches for these bugs?


-- 
Yao G.
August 29, 2010
Re: Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]
On Saturday 28 August 2010 19:06:42 Yao G. wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:59:02 -0500, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com>
> 
> wrote:
> > Among the Bugzilla entries added by me, I suggest Don to focus his
> > efforts on (and try to create patches for):
> > 
> > 3971 3849 3948 3856 3825 3878 3981 3990 3999 4053 4085 4216 4349
> > 4375 4407 4475 4625 4511 4530 4580 4664 4668 4678 4703 4733
> > 
> > Entries in that list often don't contain normal bugs or additive
> > enhancements.
> > 
> > Bye,
> > bearophile
> 
> <g> What stops you from creating patches for these bugs?

He's too busy finding other bugs. ;)

Though seriously, given the large scope of bugs that he reports, I doubt that he 
knows enough to fix very many of them. Particularly if they're compiler bugs, it 
can take a lot of knowledge about exactly how dmd, druntime, and phobos work to 
be able to come up with appropriate fixes.

- Jonathan M Davis
August 29, 2010
Re: Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:27:27 -0500, Jonathan M Davis  
<jmdavisprog@gmail.com> wrote:

> He's too busy finding other bugs. ;)
>
> Though seriously, given the large scope of bugs that he reports, I doubt  
> that he
> knows enough to fix very many of them. Particularly if they're compiler  
> bugs, it
> can take a lot of knowledge about exactly how dmd, druntime, and phobos  
> work to
> be able to come up with appropriate fixes.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Yeah. I was joking. Forgot to put the smile tho'. It was just that I found  
funny when he asked Don to look those bugs and create patches.


-- 
Yao G.
August 29, 2010
Re: Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]
On Saturday 28 August 2010 19:44:36 Yao G. wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:27:27 -0500, Jonathan M Davis
> 
> <jmdavisprog@gmail.com> wrote:
> > He's too busy finding other bugs. ;)
> > 
> > Though seriously, given the large scope of bugs that he reports, I doubt
> > that he
> > knows enough to fix very many of them. Particularly if they're compiler
> > bugs, it
> > can take a lot of knowledge about exactly how dmd, druntime, and phobos
> > work to
> > be able to come up with appropriate fixes.
> > 
> > - Jonathan M Davis
> 
> Yeah. I was joking. Forgot to put the smile tho'. It was just that I found
> funny when he asked Don to look those bugs and create patches.

Oh, I realized you were joking. I just gave a semi-serious answer anyway.

- Jonathan M Davis
August 29, 2010
Re: Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]
Jonathan M Davis:
> Though seriously, given the large scope of bugs that he reports, I doubt that he 
> knows enough to fix very many of them. Particularly if they're compiler bugs, it 
> can take a lot of knowledge about exactly how dmd, druntime, and phobos work to 
> be able to come up with appropriate fixes.

Right. And I have never studied compiler formally, yet, and I am not bold. But I am learning still.

Bye,
bearophile
August 29, 2010
Re: Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]
On 29/08/10 11:57, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Saturday 28 August 2010 19:06:42 Yao G. wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:59:02 -0500, bearophile<bearophileHUGS@lycos.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>>> Among the Bugzilla entries added by me, I suggest Don to focus his
>>> efforts on (and try to create patches for):
>>>
>>> 3971 3849 3948 3856 3825 3878 3981 3990 3999 4053 4085 4216 4349
>>> 4375 4407 4475 4625 4511 4530 4580 4664 4668 4678 4703 4733
>>>
>>> Entries in that list often don't contain normal bugs or additive
>>> enhancements.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> bearophile
>>
>> <g>  What stops you from creating patches for these bugs?
>
> He's too busy finding other bugs. ;)
>
> Though seriously, given the large scope of bugs that he reports, I doubt that he
> knows enough to fix very many of them. Particularly if they're compiler bugs, it
> can take a lot of knowledge about exactly how dmd, druntime, and phobos work to
> be able to come up with appropriate fixes.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Still, I think he (bearophile) is deserving of an Honorary Doctorate of
Test and Analysis given his prolific filing of D bug reports. :-)

- Justin Johansson
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home