November 04, 2010
Hello,
Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are about to abandon development of their IDE.

blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php

Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.


November 04, 2010
Am 04.11.2010 09:58, schrieb Stephane C:
> Hello,
> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are about to abandon development of their IDE.
>
> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
>
> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.
>
>

very stupid "its all Ds fault" like statements


November 04, 2010
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:56:16 +0300, dennis luehring <dl.soluz@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 04.11.2010 09:58, schrieb Stephane C:
>> Hello,
>> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are about to abandon development of their IDE.
>>
>> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
>>
>> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.
>>
>>
>
> very stupid "its all Ds fault" like statements
>
>

I think that's just an excuse. One of the main reasons is described as "a financial unability to maintain because of no sales", it could be the main one.
No wonder here, I'd qualify the product as an early alpha. Who would buy it?

And he could just get tired of various dmd bugs, that's also understandable.
November 04, 2010
Denis Koroskin schrieb:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:56:16 +0300, dennis luehring <dl.soluz@gmx.net> wrote:
> 
>> Am 04.11.2010 09:58, schrieb Stephane C:
>>> Hello,
>>> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are about to abandon development of their IDE.
>>>
>>> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
>>>
>>> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> very stupid "its all Ds fault" like statements
>>
>>
> 
> I think that's just an excuse. One of the main reasons is described as "a financial unability to maintain because of no sales", it could be the main one.
> No wonder here, I'd qualify the product as an early alpha. Who would buy it?
> 
Yeah, I'd never pay $150 for an IDE in alpha status that (according to their homepage) doesn't even do autocompletion.

(Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pay that much money for any IDE - there are free alternatives and mostly a text editor with syntax highlighting is enough. At least for smaller non-professional projects - I guess most D projects at the moment are like that.)
November 04, 2010
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 04:58:05 -0400, Stephane C wrote:

> Hello,
> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are
> about to abandon development of their IDE.
> 
> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
> 
> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.

Commercial doesn't mean professional.

After asking such incredible price for product which has several better free alternatives, I'm not surprised nobody bought it. What is sad is the blame that should be directed at Author's inability in so much time to develop a product able to stand out of free alternatives, and with appropriate price for it's capabilities.

It seems to me that Author itself is causal amateur programmer who stumbled upon D, broken hes knees and now is crying out loud.

Visuald, Posiedon, Descent - to mention only few D specific IDEs I used which are better or comparable, and there are more

I'm curious how he want to compete in C++ field. But as he says, it will take time, in which I will totally forgot about this.

November 05, 2010
On 11/04/2010 03:58 AM, Stephane C wrote:
>
> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.
>
>

or a professional-grade compiler, for that matter
November 06, 2010
Stephane C wrote:

> Hello,
> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are
> about to abandon development of their IDE.
> 
> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
> 
> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.

Perhaps, but bitprox ide was not professional grade by far. Plus, you need an outstanding ide in the commercial space, just professional is not good enough.

Descent was the one ide that had the potential to compete with the very best C#/Java IDE's and beat every C++ IDE out here. (and it did so in some respects). But there are more projects, like Visual D and DDT.
November 06, 2010
On 2010-11-06 14:43, Lutger wrote:
> Stephane C wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are
>> about to abandon development of their IDE.
>>
>> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
>>
>> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a
>> programming language to stand against Java or C# without a
>> professional-grade IDE.
>
> Perhaps, but bitprox ide was not professional grade by far. Plus, you need
> an outstanding ide in the commercial space, just professional is not good
> enough.
>
> Descent was the one ide that had the potential to compete with the very
> best C#/Java IDE's and beat every C++ IDE out here. (and it did so in some
> respects). But there are more projects, like Visual D and DDT.

Descent was/is far better than any C++ IDE I've seen. Now I'm waiting for Xcode 4 which contains a complete frontend hoping it will be as good as JDT.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
November 06, 2010
Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2010-11-06 14:43, Lutger wrote:
>> Stephane C wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are
>>> about to abandon development of their IDE.
>>>
>>> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
>>>
>>> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a programming language to stand against Java or C# without a professional-grade IDE.
>>
>> Perhaps, but bitprox ide was not professional grade by far. Plus, you need an outstanding ide in the commercial space, just professional is not good enough.
>>
>> Descent was the one ide that had the potential to compete with the very best C#/Java IDE's and beat every C++ IDE out here. (and it did so in some respects). But there are more projects, like Visual D and DDT.
> 
> Descent was/is far better than any C++ IDE I've seen. Now I'm waiting for Xcode 4 which contains a complete frontend hoping it will be as good as JDT.
> 

Descent did have some polish problems and of course lacked in contributors too much. I hope that ddmd may eventually provide the semantic plumbing for D tools that is required to achieve such excellence as descent. I'm also looking forward to try DDT.
November 07, 2010
On 2010-11-06 15:15, Lutger wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>
>> On 2010-11-06 14:43, Lutger wrote:
>>> Stephane C wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hello,
>>>> Looking at the company blog, It seems that the people from BITPROX are
>>>> about to abandon development of their IDE.
>>>>
>>>> blog address : http://bitprox.com/blog/blog5.php
>>>>
>>>> Sad news... I am personally convinced that there is little chance for a
>>>> programming language to stand against Java or C# without a
>>>> professional-grade IDE.
>>>
>>> Perhaps, but bitprox ide was not professional grade by far. Plus, you
>>> need an outstanding ide in the commercial space, just professional is
>>> not good enough.
>>>
>>> Descent was the one ide that had the potential to compete with the very
>>> best C#/Java IDE's and beat every C++ IDE out here. (and it did so in
>>> some respects). But there are more projects, like Visual D and DDT.
>>
>> Descent was/is far better than any C++ IDE I've seen. Now I'm waiting
>> for Xcode 4 which contains a complete frontend hoping it will be as good
>> as JDT.
>>
>
> Descent did have some polish problems and of course lacked in contributors
> too much. I hope that ddmd may eventually provide the semantic plumbing for
> D tools that is required to achieve such excellence as descent. I'm also
> looking forward to try DDT.

It had/has a lot of bugs, crashing several times every day but it had/has more features than, for example, CDT and in the end I thought it was (still is) worth it because of all the features it has (most of the times).

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home