Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
D Survey?
Sep 12
aberba
Sep 13
Abdulhaq
Sep 13
Abdulhaq
Sep 13
Jackel
Sep 13
Seb
Sep 14
Abdulhaq
Sep 14
Dennis
Sep 14
bachmeier
Sep 14
aberba
Sep 13
ryuukk_
September 12
Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?
September 12
On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 12:03:18 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
> Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?

+1
September 13
On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 12:03:18 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
> Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?

Build it and they will come.
September 13
On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 07:21:53 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 12:03:18 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>> Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?
>
> Build it and they will come.

Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang survey conducted by the team.
September 13
On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:05:35 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 07:21:53 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 12:03:18 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>>> Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?
>>
>> Build it and they will come.
>
> Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang survey conducted by the team.

OK how about this then: the team are very busy so you could do this for them, but maybe you're not sure what questions to ask. I propose you think of 10 - 15 questions and post them here, ask for suggested amendments / additions. Wait a few days for replies then set up the survey yourself, I think (hope) lots of people will respond.
September 13
On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:21:52 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:05:35 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 07:21:53 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 12:03:18 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>>>> Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?
>>>
>>> Build it and they will come.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang survey conducted by the team.
>
> OK how about this then: the team are very busy so you could do this for them, but maybe you're not sure what questions to ask. I propose you think of 10 - 15 questions and post them here, ask for suggested amendments / additions. Wait a few days for replies then set up the survey yourself, I think (hope) lots of people will respond.

There was a survey a while back but I don't really think anything came out of it.

https://rawgit.com/wilzbach/state-of-d/master/report.html

Of the top 5 "features that you miss", zero have been implemented in the time since. And in regards to struct initialization, almost regressed with DIP1031.

The information gathered wasn't used to any meaningful way to direct project efforts, IIRC.

September 13
On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 16:58:30 UTC, Jackel wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:21:52 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:05:35 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>>> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 07:21:53 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>>>> On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 12:03:18 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>>>>> Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?
>>>>
>>>> Build it and they will come.
>>>
>>> Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang survey conducted by the team.
>>
>> OK how about this then: the team are very busy so you could do this for them, but maybe you're not sure what questions to ask. I propose you think of 10 - 15 questions and post them here, ask for suggested amendments / additions. Wait a few days for replies then set up the survey yourself, I think (hope) lots of people will respond.
>
> There was a survey a while back but I don't really think anything came out of it.
>
> https://rawgit.com/wilzbach/state-of-d/master/report.html

The individual free-text answers are here:

https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018

> Of the top 5 "features that you miss", zero have been implemented in the time since. And in regards to struct initialization, almost regressed with DIP1031.

Don't forget that we got at least one of the top 10 features (assert diagnostics - https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8517).

Also, I gave up my PR on struct initialization (https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8460) as I believe having a unified solution with named arguments is better for the language (see e.g. https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1030.md).

> The information gathered wasn't used to any meaningful way to direct project efforts, IIRC.

Yes, leadership ignored it almost completely.
As a simple example to show what happened, they decided to focus on "fast code, fast" (community was https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018/blob/master/15a:%20How%20would%20you%20describe%20D%20in%20three%20words%3F).

> Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang survey conducted by the team.

There are no plans to do another state of D survey as the last one failed spectacularly (i.e. information was actively ignored).
September 13
On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:21:52 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:05:35 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 07:21:53 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 12:03:18 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>>>> Rust is doing their annually survey for 2020 currently. Could the D community do something similar? Or is there already one that I am not aware of?
>>>
>>> Build it and they will come.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang survey conducted by the team.
>
> OK how about this then: the team are very busy so you could do this for them, but maybe you're not sure what questions to ask. I propose you think of 10 - 15 questions and post them here, ask for suggested amendments / additions. Wait a few days for replies then set up the survey yourself, I think (hope) lots of people will respond.

a survey need lot of participant to be relevant, independent move is bad because small people can't reach to a big audience

for survey to work you need:

- big voice
- big userbase

that's why Rust team is handling it, not rust user lambda
September 14
On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 21:13:28 UTC, Seb wrote:

> There are no plans to do another state of D survey as the last one failed spectacularly (i.e. information was actively ignored).

If the purpose of the survey was to guide the lead team, then yes it failed. If the purpose of the survey was to get a picture of where the D community stands on various issues, then it was a great success. I noticed that 500 people responded to that survey, which is very good and leads to statistically significant information.

September 14
On Monday, 14 September 2020 at 07:12:17 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> If the purpose of the survey was to guide the lead team, then yes it failed. If the purpose of the survey was to get a picture of where the D community stands on various issues, then it was a great success.

+1.

I'm sorry to hear that Seb experiences it as a failure, because I really enjoyed both filling it in and reading the results.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2