Thread overview
VisualD. Path problem?
5 days ago
Sergey Orlov
4 days ago
Rainer Schuetze
4 days ago
Sergey Orlov
March 12
VisualD does not work. (last version)
Windows 10, x64, VS 2015 Enterp., SDK installed

Output is here:
OPTLINK : Error 118: Filename Expected
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86;C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\NativeBinaries\x86;C:\watcom-1.3\binnt;C:\watcom-1.3\binw;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DNX\Dnvm\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Emulator Manager\1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkSharp\2.12\bin;C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin;C:\Users\=User=\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;D:\My_Work\My_D\Source\DCD;C:\D\ldc2-1.1.1-win64-msvc\bin
^
Building Win32\Debug\consoletests.exe failed!
March 12
Here is the Log:

set PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86;C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;%PATH%
dmd -g -debug -X -Xf"Win32\Debug\consoletests.json" -deps="Win32\Debug\consoletests.dep" -c -of"Win32\Debug\consoletests.obj" main.d
if errorlevel 1 goto reportError

set LIB="C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\lib"
echo. > D:\My_Work\My_D\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug\consoletests.build.lnkarg
echo "Win32\Debug\consoletests.obj","Win32\Debug\consoletests.exe","Win32\Debug\consoletests.map",user32.lib+ >> D:\My_Work\My_D\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug\consoletests.build.lnkarg
echo kernel32.lib/NOMAP/CO/NOI/DELEXE >> D:\My_Work\My_D\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug\consoletests.build.lnkarg

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\pipedmd.exe" -deps Win32\Debug\consoletests.lnkdep C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\link.exe @D:\My_Work\My_D\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug\consoletests.build.lnkarg
if errorlevel 1 goto reportError
if not exist "Win32\Debug\consoletests.exe" (echo "Win32\Debug\consoletests.exe" not created! && goto reportError)

goto noError

:reportError
echo Building Win32\Debug\consoletests.exe failed!




March 12

On 12.03.2017 20:01, Sergey Orlov wrote:
> VisualD does not work. (last version)
> Windows 10, x64, VS 2015 Enterp., SDK installed
>
> Output is here:
> OPTLINK : Error 118: Filename Expected
> Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 14.0\VC\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 14.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
> Kits\8.1\bin\x86;C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
> Visual Studio
> 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team
> Explorer\NativeBinaries\x86;C:\watcom-1.3\binnt;C:\watcom-1.3\binw;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program
> Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS
> Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
> Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R)
> Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R)
> Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R)
> Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R)
> Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin;C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft DNX\Dnvm\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\120\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program
> Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Emulator
> Manager\1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance
> Toolkit\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files
> (x86)\GtkSharp\2.12\bin;C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin;C:\Users\=User=\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;D:\My_Work\My_D\Source\DCD;C:\D\ldc2-1.1.1-win64-msvc\bin
>
> ^
> Building Win32\Debug\consoletests.exe failed!

I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble if you have '+' in folder names (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".

March 12
> I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble if you have '+' in folder names (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".

Thank you, Rainer
I have no "+" characters in any path.
=User= is MyPCNameIdontWannaShowInWeb simply
March 12

On 12.03.2017 21:41, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>> I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble
>> if you have '+' in folder names
>> (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not
>> include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in
>> "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".
>
> Thank you, Rainer
> I have no "+" characters in any path.
> =User= is MyPCNameIdontWannaShowInWeb simply

Ok, and I guess your PC name doesn't contain any special characters.

This looks suspicious though:

C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;

which contains a character '\b' (ASCII code 8), but should be C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin; instead. This could be a copy 'n paste issue with the browser/mailer, but maybe there's something wrong with the respective executable search path setting on the Visual D option pages.

March 12
On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 22:28:37 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>
>
> On 12.03.2017 21:41, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>>> I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble
>>> if you have '+' in folder names
>>> (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not
>>> include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in
>>> "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".
>>
>> Thank you, Rainer
>> I have no "+" characters in any path.
>> =User= is MyPCNameIdontWannaShowInWeb simply
>
> Ok, and I guess your PC name doesn't contain any special characters.
>
> This looks suspicious though:
>
> C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;
>
> which contains a character '\b' (ASCII code 8), but should be C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin; instead. This could be a copy 'n paste issue with the browser/mailer, but maybe there's something wrong with the respective executable search path setting on the Visual D option pages.

Hmm, it is browser feature. But what is interesting that the phrase
file://D:\My_Work\My_D\My_VS2017\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug detect the way to non existing path
Correct path is D:\My_Work\My_D\My_VS2017\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug DMD
Is it subject for linker? And how to fix it?
March 13

On 12.03.2017 23:53, Sergey Orlov wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 22:28:37 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 12.03.2017 21:41, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>>>> I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble
>>>> if you have '+' in folder names
>>>> (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not
>>>> include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in
>>>> "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".
>>>
>>> Thank you, Rainer
>>> I have no "+" characters in any path.
>>> =User= is MyPCNameIdontWannaShowInWeb simply
>>
>> Ok, and I guess your PC name doesn't contain any special characters.
>>
>> This looks suspicious though:
>>
>> C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;
>>
>> which contains a character '\b' (ASCII code 8), but should be
>> C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin; instead. This could be a copy 'n paste issue
>> with the browser/mailer, but maybe there's something wrong with the
>> respective executable search path setting on the Visual D option pages.
>
> Hmm, it is browser feature.

Turned out it's a bug in Visual D: https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17252

I've created a new release: https://github.com/dlang/visuald/releases/tag/v0.44.1

> But what is interesting that the phrase
> file://D:\My_Work\My_D\My_VS2017\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug
> detect the way to non existing path
> Correct path is
> D:\My_Work\My_D\My_VS2017\consoletests\consoletests\Win32\Debug DMD
> Is it subject for linker? And how to fix it?

This message is not produced by the linker, but appended for failed builds.

The problem here is that Visual Studio cannot detect the correct end of the file-link due to the space in the file name. These probably have to be translated to %20.
5 days ago
On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 22:28:37 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>
>
> On 12.03.2017 21:41, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>>> I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble
>>> if you have '+' in folder names
>>> (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not
>>> include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in
>>> "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".
>>
>> Thank you, Rainer
>> I have no "+" characters in any path.
>> =User= is MyPCNameIdontWannaShowInWeb simply
>
> Ok, and I guess your PC name doesn't contain any special characters.
>
> This looks suspicious though:
>
> C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;
>
> which contains a character '\b' (ASCII code 8), but should be C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin; instead. This could be a copy 'n paste issue with the browser/mailer, but maybe there's something wrong with the respective executable search path setting on the Visual D option pages.

Yes, it is C:\D\dmd2\windowsin; issue
What way to correct it? And where from it goes...
4 days ago

On 19.03.2017 01:06, Sergey Orlov wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 22:28:37 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 12.03.2017 21:41, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>>>> I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble
>>>> if you have '+' in folder names
>>>> (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not
>>>> include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in
>>>> "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".
>>>
>>> Thank you, Rainer
>>> I have no "+" characters in any path.
>>> =User= is MyPCNameIdontWannaShowInWeb simply
>>
>> Ok, and I guess your PC name doesn't contain any special characters.
>>
>> This looks suspicious though:
>>
>> C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;
>>
>> which contains a character '\b' (ASCII code 8), but should be
>> C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin; instead. This could be a copy 'n paste issue
>> with the browser/mailer, but maybe there's something wrong with the
>> respective executable search path setting on the Visual D option pages.
>
> Yes, it is C:\D\dmd2\windowsin; issue
> What way to correct it? And where from it goes...

That's been a bug in the default setting of Visual D 0.44, and the reason I released 0.44.1. If you have done changes to the settings, they have been stored to the registry with the wrong character, unfortunately.

In that case you can correct the executable search paths manually to $(DMDInstallDir)\windows\bin on the Tools->Options->Project and Solution->Visual D Settings->DMD directories pages for Win32/x64 and Win32-COFF.
4 days ago
On Sunday, 19 March 2017 at 16:33:28 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>
>
> On 19.03.2017 01:06, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>> On Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 22:28:37 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> On 12.03.2017 21:41, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>>>>> I suspect optlink doesn't like your PATH variable. It used to stumble
>>>>> if you have '+' in folder names
>>>>> (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4831), but the fix did not
>>>>> include other characters. Probably it also doesn't like '=' in
>>>>> "C:\Users\=User=\.dnx\bin".
>>>>
>>>> Thank you, Rainer
>>>> I have no "+" characters in any path.
>>>> =User= is MyPCNameIdontWannaShowInWeb simply
>>>
>>> Ok, and I guess your PC name doesn't contain any special characters.
>>>
>>> This looks suspicious though:
>>>
>>> C:\D\dmd2\windowsin;
>>>
>>> which contains a character '\b' (ASCII code 8), but should be
>>> C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin; instead. This could be a copy 'n paste issue
>>> with the browser/mailer, but maybe there's something wrong with the
>>> respective executable search path setting on the Visual D option pages.
>>
>> Yes, it is C:\D\dmd2\windowsin; issue
>> What way to correct it? And where from it goes...
>
> That's been a bug in the default setting of Visual D 0.44, and the reason I released 0.44.1. If you have done changes to the settings, they have been stored to the registry with the wrong character, unfortunately.
>
> In that case you can correct the executable search paths manually to $(DMDInstallDir)\windows\bin on the Tools->Options->Project and Solution->Visual D Settings->DMD directories pages for Win32/x64 and Win32-COFF.

Thanks, it works now!