May 18, 2012
On 18 May 2012 16:10, Manu <turkeyman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 May 2012 15:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org> wrote:
>
>> On 18-05-2012 12:07, Manu wrote:
>>
>>> On 18 May 2012 11:38, Ary Manzana <ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Are you happy with Windows? :-P
>>>
>>>
>>> Completely.
>>>
>>
>> Monster.
>>
>> *runs* ;-P
>
>
> Well it's hard to escape the zombie apocalypse: http://www.netmarketshare.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT0518_09091906FE0.png (recent google statistics)
>

I can't help but giggle and note that 'other' is consistently higher than Linux ;)


May 18, 2012
On 2012-05-18 14:40, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

> Personally, I've always preferred the CLI over ~most GUIs. `git gui` is
> fairly useful for pre-commit review and staging, etc.

That GUI looks horrible, at least on Mac OS X. I usually prefer the CLI as well but I am using GITX on Mac OS X to check the log and diffs.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
May 18, 2012
On 18-05-2012 15:26, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-05-18 14:40, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>
>> Personally, I've always preferred the CLI over ~most GUIs. `git gui` is
>> fairly useful for pre-commit review and staging, etc.
>
> That GUI looks horrible, at least on Mac OS X. I usually prefer the CLI
> as well but I am using GITX on Mac OS X to check the log and diffs.
>

Right, it's ugly pretty much everywhere. But my point is that it does its *job* very well (reviews, staging, etc).

-- 
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex@lycus.org
http://lycus.org
May 18, 2012
On 18-05-2012 15:22, Manu wrote:
> On 18 May 2012 16:10, Manu <turkeyman@gmail.com
> <mailto:turkeyman@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 18 May 2012 15:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org
>     <mailto:alex@lycus.org>> wrote:
>
>         On 18-05-2012 12:07, Manu wrote:
>
>             On 18 May 2012 11:38, Ary Manzana <ary@esperanto.org.ar
>             <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>
>             <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>>>
>             wrote:
>
>                 Are you happy with Windows? :-P
>
>
>             Completely.
>
>
>         Monster.
>
>         *runs* ;-P
>
>
>     Well it's hard to escape the zombie apocalypse:
>     http://www.netmarketshare.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT0518_09091906FE0.png (recent
>     google statistics)
>
>
> I can't help but giggle and note that 'other' is consistently higher
> than Linux ;)

"The page cannot be found"

-- 
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex@lycus.org
http://lycus.org
May 18, 2012
On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:32:05 +0100, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org> wrote:

> On 18-05-2012 15:22, Manu wrote:
>> On 18 May 2012 16:10, Manu <turkeyman@gmail.com
>> <mailto:turkeyman@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 18 May 2012 15:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org
>>     <mailto:alex@lycus.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 18-05-2012 12:07, Manu wrote:
>>
>>             On 18 May 2012 11:38, Ary Manzana <ary@esperanto.org.ar
>>             <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>
>>             <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>>>
>>             wrote:
>>
>>                 Are you happy with Windows? :-P
>>
>>
>>             Completely.
>>
>>
>>         Monster.
>>
>>         *runs* ;-P
>>
>>
>>     Well it's hard to escape the zombie apocalypse:
>>     http://www.netmarketshare.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT0518_09091906FE0.png (recent
>>     google statistics)
>>
>>
>> I can't help but giggle and note that 'other' is consistently higher
>> than Linux ;)
>
> "The page cannot be found"

Try:
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

R

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
May 18, 2012
On 18 May 2012 16:32, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org> wrote:

> On 18-05-2012 15:22, Manu wrote:
>
>> On 18 May 2012 16:10, Manu <turkeyman@gmail.com
>>
>> <mailto:turkeyman@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 18 May 2012 15:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org
>>    <mailto:alex@lycus.org>> wrote:
>>
>>        On 18-05-2012 12:07, Manu wrote:
>>
>>            On 18 May 2012 11:38, Ary Manzana <ary@esperanto.org.ar
>>            <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>
>>            <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>>**>
>>
>>            wrote:
>>
>>                Are you happy with Windows? :-P
>>
>>
>>            Completely.
>>
>>
>>        Monster.
>>
>>        *runs* ;-P
>>
>>
>>    Well it's hard to escape the zombie apocalypse:
>>    http://www.netmarketshare.com/**chartfx62/temp/CFT0518_**
>> 09091906FE0.png<http://www.netmarketshare.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT0518_09091906FE0.png>(recent
>>    google statistics)
>>
>>
>> I can't help but giggle and note that 'other' is consistently higher than Linux ;)
>>
>
> "The page cannot be found"


*facepalm* Fail! http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9


May 18, 2012
On 18-05-2012 15:39, Manu wrote:
> On 18 May 2012 16:32, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org
> <mailto:alex@lycus.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 18-05-2012 15:22, Manu wrote:
>
>         On 18 May 2012 16:10, Manu <turkeyman@gmail.com
>         <mailto:turkeyman@gmail.com>
>
>         <mailto:turkeyman@gmail.com <mailto:turkeyman@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>             On 18 May 2012 15:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org
>         <mailto:alex@lycus.org>
>         <mailto:alex@lycus.org <mailto:alex@lycus.org>>> wrote:
>
>                 On 18-05-2012 12:07, Manu wrote:
>
>                     On 18 May 2012 11:38, Ary Manzana
>         <ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>
>         <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>>
>         <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>
>         <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>>>__>
>
>                     wrote:
>
>                         Are you happy with Windows? :-P
>
>
>                     Completely.
>
>
>                 Monster.
>
>                 *runs* ;-P
>
>
>             Well it's hard to escape the zombie apocalypse:
>         http://www.netmarketshare.com/__chartfx62/temp/CFT0518___09091906FE0.png
>         <http://www.netmarketshare.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT0518_09091906FE0.png>
>         (recent
>             google statistics)
>
>
>         I can't help but giggle and note that 'other' is consistently higher
>         than Linux ;)
>
>
>     "The page cannot be found"
>
>
> *facepalm* Fail!
> http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

But to be fair, most enterprises/businesses use Linux for servers, not for desktops.

-- 
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex@lycus.org
http://lycus.org
May 18, 2012
On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 07:58:26 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> I remember back when we were considering whether to move DMD, Phobos and druntime from SVN on DSource to Git on GitHub, there were some concerns about using Git on Windows.  People claimed that Git was a very Linux-centric tool, and that Windows support was buggy at best.
>
> Still, we made the switch, and I haven't really registered that many complaints since.  So now I'm curious:  Windows users, have you just resigned, or did Git actually turn out to work well on Windows?  Specifically, is it usable from the CMD command line, and are graphical front-ends such as TortoiseGit any good?  (I know running it through Cygwin works well, but that doesn't count.)
>
> -Lars

Git-Extensions works pretty well, especially with its Visual Studio + PuTTY integration. It uses msysgit under the bonnet IIRC
May 18, 2012
On 18 May 2012 16:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org> wrote:

> But to be fair, most enterprises/businesses use Linux for servers, not for desktops.


I don't code on a server... Do you? :)


May 18, 2012
On 2012-05-18 16:01, Manu wrote:
> On 18 May 2012 16:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org
> <mailto:alex@lycus.org>> wrote:
>
>     But to be fair, most enterprises/businesses use Linux for servers,
>     not for desktops.
>
>
> I don't code on a server... Do you? :)

Why use source code management and deploys when you can code directly on the production server :)

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
1 2 3 4 5 6
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home