May 19, 2012
Happy with Mercutial (CLI), Windows family and OpenSUSE ;)


May 19, 2012
On Saturday, 19 May 2012 at 02:05:54 UTC, Ary Manzana wrote:
> On 5/18/12 9:03 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2012-05-18 16:01, Manu wrote:
>>> On 18 May 2012 16:41, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org
>>> <mailto:alex@lycus.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> But to be fair, most enterprises/businesses use Linux for servers,
>>> not for desktops.
>>>
>>>
>>> I don't code on a server... Do you? :)
>>
>> Why use source code management and deploys when you can code directly on
>> the production server :)
>>
>
> Where's the "like" button here? :-P

LMFAO
May 21, 2012
On Fri, 18 May 2012 20:49:48 +0100, Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe@semitwist.com> wrote:

> "Matthias Pleh" <benutzer@example.com> wrote in message
> news:jp5len$6qa$1@digitalmars.com...
>>
>> You can also
>> interchange both, Git-Extension and CLI, on the same project. (this wasn't
>> the case with SVN + TortoiseSVN)
>>
>
> Switching betwen SVN CLI and TortoiseSVN always worked fine for me.

Same here, tho some others here at work have had issues.  The issues arose because they upgraded one or the other to a new SVN library version, which contained breaking changes to the on-disk representation of the .svn (_svn) data.  As long as you make sure the CLI and Tortoise SVN lib version (Tortoise will display both it's version, and the SVN lib it is linked/built against in the about box) in sync, I believe it should work fine (barring actual bugs in one or the other).

R

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
May 21, 2012
On Fri, 18 May 2012 08:58:23 +0100, Lars T. Kyllingstad <public@kyllingen.net> wrote:

> I remember back when we were considering whether to move DMD, Phobos and druntime from SVN on DSource to Git on GitHub, there were some concerns about using Git on Windows.  People claimed that Git was a very Linux-centric tool, and that Windows support was buggy at best.
>
> Still, we made the switch, and I haven't really registered that many complaints since.  So now I'm curious:  Windows users, have you just resigned, or did Git actually turn out to work well on Windows?  Specifically, is it usable from the CMD command line, and are graphical front-ends such as TortoiseGit any good?  (I know running it through Cygwin works well, but that doesn't count.)

I haven't yet tried to use GIT, but I'm a windows developer so I thought I'd share :p

I have done a fair amount of cross-platform work, but all the development itself occurred on a windows desktop using M$ developer studio, which is my IDE of choice.

I have worked with guys who decided they would be more comfortable, or productive on linux/freebsd/etc and so spent the time/effort to switch their development environment over.  What is certain, is that these guys were less productive initially as they got up to speed (learning a new IDE/editor/tool-chain etc) but once past it was less certain whether they were more, or less productive.  They were certainly happier, so I guess that as/is something.  I've always been happy on Windows, and while cmd.exe and scripting on windows is pretty rubbish it does what I need it to do, and if not I write a tool in C/C++/D to solve the lack.  I still haven't bothered to learn much/if any powershell, which looks like it would solve most of those issues - as it's basically C# in a shell.

I have dabbled with Cygwin and similar tools, but as I don't want to change my mindset to a linux/freebsd one they always annoy me.  I don't want/need to learn all that accompanies such tools/environments, I just want to solve the actual issue i.e. obtain source from GIT in this case.  So, if I were to give GIT a go I would be looking for a nice integrated (into windows explorer) GIT GUI tool (some mentioned in this thread which I'll give a go), plus a command line tool as well for those times when I want to script certain operations.  Looking at some of the example GIT command line samples, it seems I would be scripting away as many details as I could - which is basically what a good GUI does for you, but in another way.

That's my 2(p|c) :)

R

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
May 21, 2012
El 18/05/2012 9:58, Lars T. Kyllingstad escribió:
> I remember back when we were considering whether to move DMD, Phobos and
> druntime from SVN on DSource to Git on GitHub, there were some concerns
> about using Git on Windows.  People claimed that Git was a very
> Linux-centric tool, and that Windows support was buggy at best.
>
> -Lars

Announced today: Github for Windows!

https://github.com/blog/1127-github-for-windows

May 30, 2012
On 18/05/2012 09:38, Ary Manzana wrote:
> Are you happy with Windows? :-P

No, not at all!

... but I am definitely less unhappy with it than with Linux or MacOS!...


-- 
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
May 30, 2012
On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 07:58:26 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> were some concerns about using Git on Windows.  People claimed that Git was a very Linux-centric tool, and that Windows support was buggy at best.

Of course, git is a Linux-centric tool (Linus wrote it to be inherently unportable), hacked into windows environment and augmented with msys.
May 30, 2012
On 30-05-2012 21:46, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 07:58:26 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>> were some concerns about using Git on Windows. People claimed that Git
>> was a very Linux-centric tool, and that Windows support was buggy at
>> best.
>
> Of course, git is a Linux-centric tool (Linus wrote it to be inherently
> unportable), hacked into windows environment and augmented with msys.

You make it sound as if he was trying to hinder portability. He merely didn't care. Not the same thing.

-- 
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex@lycus.org
http://lycus.org
May 31, 2012
On 30/05/12 21:49, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 30-05-2012 21:46, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 07:58:26 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>>> were some concerns about using Git on Windows. People claimed that Git
>>> was a very Linux-centric tool, and that Windows support was buggy at
>>> best.
>>
>> Of course, git is a Linux-centric tool (Linus wrote it to be inherently
>> unportable), hacked into windows environment and augmented with msys.
>
> You make it sound as if he was trying to hinder portability. He merely
> didn't care. Not the same thing.
>

He expressed some very strong views to it. Aggression not ambivalence.

I still can't avoid the feeling that if you're on Windows, you're a second-class citizen in the git world.


BTW I found what the problem with my installation was: if you manage you to have two different git versions installed (I had git installed via cygwin, and later installed stand-alone MSYS git) then running one on a repository created by the other will corrupt various files in the repository, most notably the index file.

It seems that git has no version numbers in its files. Instead, it silently corrupts them.

May 31, 2012
Me too.
BTW, I heard that mercurial has better Windows support.

On 5/31/2012 6:09 PM, Don Clugston wrote:
> I still can't avoid the feeling that if you're on Windows, you're a second-class citizen in the git world.
> 
1 2 3 4 5 6
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home