View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
December 10, 2011
D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
Hello everyone,


This is the end of the year, a good time to look both back and forward. 
Walter and I have had a long discussion about our strategy going forth. 
But before that, let's take a quick look at this year.

By all accounts, 2011 has been a terrific year for D. There has been 
unprecedented growth in the community; the disreputation of a 
fragmented, balkanized community is finally becoming a matter of the 
past; the community flame wars that were the norm in the past have given 
way to constructive dialog; there's more interest and more talk about D 
in public and private events; TDPL has been selling steadily; D's brand 
and major position on the programming languages landscape have become 
recognizable to many programmers; and most importantly, the community 
contribution to the compiler and standard library design and 
implementation has blown off the most optimistic expectations.

Going forward, we want to focus on D's core strengths: expressiveness, 
modeling power, and efficiency. We believe D is a very compelling 
programming language of this era, and we want to substantiate that 
belief with equally compelling libraries and applications.

In order to increase focus and unity in the language, we are 
discontinuing support for D1 on December 31, 2012. That's more than one 
year away, which gives enough time to D1 users to migrate libraries and 
applications to D2.

Phasing D1 away will not only clarify our vision, but also free up 
considerable time to concentrate on D's two largest issues: (1) quality 
of compiler implementation and (2) breadth of the standard library. 
These two matters prevent users from fully tapping into all of D's core 
assets. They affect expressiveness because code that's supposed to work 
doesn't or necessitates ugly workarounds; they affect modeling power 
because bugs prevent full creative uses of the language, and lacuna in 
the standard library limit the "bricks" to use when building; and they 
affect efficiency because, evidently, a quality compiler and a good 
standard library are essential ingredients in writing efficient code.

Best wishes for the next year and hopefully many years to come to an 
awesome community. Let's continue working together to reach D's 
ambitious potential.


Thanks,

Andrei
December 10, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
Should have set the date to Dec 21st so D1's end would coincide 
with the end of the world in 2012 ;)
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
On 12/10/11 3:19 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[snip]

I'm glad this message has been met with virtually no reaction! 
Nevertheless, I reddit'ed it to announce the decision to the larger 
community.

http://reddit.com/r/programming/comments/n8sit/d1_to_be_discontinued_on_december_31_2012_after/


Andrei
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
On Sunday, December 11, 2011 14:56:50 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/10/11 3:19 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> [snip]
> 
> I'm glad this message has been met with virtually no reaction!
> Nevertheless, I reddit'ed it to announce the decision to the larger
> community.
> 
> http://reddit.com/r/programming/comments/n8sit/d1_to_be_discontinued_on_dece
> mber_31_2012_after/

Well, at this point, I expect that pretty much no one who only uses D1 and not 
D2 does much in this newsgroup, and anyone who only uses D2 is not going to 
have a problem with it. The only ones likely too make a fuss about it here 
would be those who use both, and since they use both presumably they're okay 
with this in the long run as long as D2 is up to snuff, and that situation has 
been steadily improving. Also, since the actual date is over a year off, 
there's plenty of time for things to improve quite a bit more. Not to mention, 
just because dmd1 won't be geting any more bug fixes doesn't mean that you 
can't use it anymore - and since it's on github, interested parties can always 
fork it.

I'm still a bit surprised that pretty much no one has responded, but then 
again, you posted it only about 24 hours ago. So between that and the fact 
that most of the people around here focus on D2, I expect that the number of 
people who have would have read it and would be unhappy about it is rather 
limited.

- Jonathan M Davis
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 21:22:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis 
wrote:
> Not to mention, just because dmd1 won't be geting any more bug 
> fixes doesn't mean that you can't use it anymore - and since 
> it's on github, interested parties can always fork it.

This raises a question: will the D1 compiler be made 
redistributable when it's discontinued?
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
On 12/11/2011 11:06 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 21:22:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> Not to mention, just because dmd1 won't be geting any more bug fixes
>> doesn't mean that you can't use it anymore - and since it's on github,
>> interested parties can always fork it.
>
> This raises a question: will the D1 compiler be made redistributable
> when it's discontinued?

I think LDC/GDC are redistributable already?
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
Vladimir Panteleev Wrote:
> This raises a question: will the D1 compiler be made 
> redistributable when it's discontinued?

Isn't it already licensed for redistribution by the Tango folks?
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
On 11 December 2011 22:20, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr@gmx.ch> wrote:
> On 12/11/2011 11:06 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 21:22:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> Not to mention, just because dmd1 won't be geting any more bug fixes
>>> doesn't mean that you can't use it anymore - and since it's on github,
>>> interested parties can always fork it.
>>
>>
>> This raises a question: will the D1 compiler be made redistributable
>> when it's discontinued?
>
>
> I think LDC/GDC are redistributable already?

I will keep support in tree.  There will be no future merge changes to
the D1 library that is bundled with GDC however.

-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 22:29:38 UTC, Adam Ruppe wrote:
> Vladimir Panteleev Wrote:
>> This raises a question: will the D1 compiler be made 
>> redistributable when it's discontinued?
>
> Isn't it already licensed for redistribution by the Tango folks?

Right, I forgot about that. That's nice, because the Tango 
project would be one of the parties most interested in keeping D1 
alive.
December 11, 2011
Re: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:19:02 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> ...
> In order to increase focus and unity in the language, we are
> discontinuing support for D1 on December 31, 2012. That's more than one
> year away, which gives enough time to D1 users to migrate libraries and
> applications to D2.

I find this an interesting choice. While a good portion of the community 
has moved over and libraries have supported both or just D2, this could 
result in another rift.

With this kind of choice it may be important to prioritize those issues 
found by the D1 users that are beginning their port.

I haven't used D1 for a long time so I can't claim a bad choice here.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home