View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
January 04, 2012
Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
Morning,

I will be dropping support for a few older gcc versions in the next week and a
bit. I was thinking removing all code for everything up to gcc-4.5, meaning
gdc will no longer build with gcc 4.2.x, 4.3.x and 4.4.x releases.  If anyone
has any objections, or requires continued support for these older versions of
gcc, please let me know or shout up here, and I will make necessary arrangements.


Regards
Iain
January 04, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
On 2012-01-04 01:33, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Morning,
>
> I will be dropping support for a few older gcc versions in the next week and a
> bit. I was thinking removing all code for everything up to gcc-4.5, meaning
> gdc will no longer build with gcc 4.2.x, 4.3.x and 4.4.x releases.  If anyone
> has any objections, or requires continued support for these older versions of
> gcc, please let me know or shout up here, and I will make necessary arrangements.
>
>
> Regards
> Iain

That means no support for the Apple GCC. It's stuck at 4.2, I guess they 
putting their effort on Clang and LLVM.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 04, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
On 4 January 2012 07:14, Jacob Carlborg <doob@me.com> wrote:
> On 2012-01-04 01:33, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Morning,
>>
>> I will be dropping support for a few older gcc versions in the next week
>> and a
>> bit. I was thinking removing all code for everything up to gcc-4.5,
>> meaning
>> gdc will no longer build with gcc 4.2.x, 4.3.x and 4.4.x releases.  If
>> anyone
>> has any objections, or requires continued support for these older versions
>> of
>> gcc, please let me know or shout up here, and I will make necessary
>> arrangements.
>>
>>
>> Regards
>> Iain
>
>
> That means no support for the Apple GCC. It's stuck at 4.2, I guess they
> putting their effort on Clang and LLVM.
>
> --
> /Jacob Carlborg

If I recall correctly, there are GCC binding to LLVM, are there not?
Apple has always been a bit of a difficult system for me as I don't
have the OS to test on (actually, this is true for Windows too).    I
have made a new branch in the repository that is at the moment current
and will maintain support for the older releases.  If someone wishes
to maintain it, I have no problem there.

-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
January 04, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
On Wednesday, 4 January 2012 at 21:40:28 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> If I recall correctly, there are GCC binding to LLVM, are there 
> not?

The post 4.2 one is DragonEgg.
It's a gcc plugin that replaces GCC's optimizers and code 
generators with those from llvm.
January 04, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
On 4 January 2012 14:39, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 4 January 2012 07:14, Jacob Carlborg <doob@me.com> wrote:
>> On 2012-01-04 01:33, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>>
>>> Morning,
>>>
>>> I will be dropping support for a few older gcc versions in the next week
>>> and a
>>> bit. I was thinking removing all code for everything up to gcc-4.5,
>>> meaning
>>> gdc will no longer build with gcc 4.2.x, 4.3.x and 4.4.x releases.  If
>>> anyone
>>> has any objections, or requires continued support for these older versions
>>> of
>>> gcc, please let me know or shout up here, and I will make necessary
>>> arrangements.
>>>
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Iain
>>
>>
>> That means no support for the Apple GCC. It's stuck at 4.2, I guess they
>> putting their effort on Clang and LLVM.
>>
>> --
>> /Jacob Carlborg
>
> If I recall correctly, there are GCC binding to LLVM, are there not?
> Apple has always been a bit of a difficult system for me as I don't
> have the OS to test on (actually, this is true for Windows too).    I
> have made a new branch in the repository that is at the moment current
> and will maintain support for the older releases.  If someone wishes
> to maintain it, I have no problem there.
>

Also, bare in mind I will be moving GDC fully across to trunk over the
next two months, this is just a first of many stop-gaps that will need
to be done to update the code and cipher off any compatibilty hacks in
favour of adding in and utilising new GCC tree codes that may help
improve code generation.

Regards

-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
January 04, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
This means some of those console toolchains won't work anymore, since
they're still on older versions... :(

On 4 January 2012 02:33, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I will be dropping support for a few older gcc versions in the next week
> and a
> bit. I was thinking removing all code for everything up to gcc-4.5, meaning
> gdc will no longer build with gcc 4.2.x, 4.3.x and 4.4.x releases.  If
> anyone
> has any objections, or requires continued support for these older versions
> of
> gcc, please let me know or shout up here, and I will make necessary
> arrangements.
>
>
> Regards
> Iain
>
January 05, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
On 1/4/2012 9:14 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-01-04 01:33, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> Morning,
>>
>> I will be dropping support for a few older gcc versions in the next 
>> week and a
>> bit. I was thinking removing all code for everything up to gcc-4.5, 
>> meaning
>> gdc will no longer build with gcc 4.2.x, 4.3.x and 4.4.x releases.  
>> If anyone
>> has any objections, or requires continued support for these older 
>> versions of
>> gcc, please let me know or shout up here, and I will make necessary 
>> arrangements.
>>
>>
>> Regards
>> Iain
>
> That means no support for the Apple GCC. It's stuck at 4.2, I guess 
> they putting their effort on Clang and LLVM.
>

There is macports-gcc-4.5, macports-gcc-4.6
January 05, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
Iain Buclaw, el  4 de enero a las 15:01 me escribiste:
> Also, bare in mind I will be moving GDC fully across to trunk over the
> next two months, this is just a first of many stop-gaps that will need
> to be done to update the code and cipher off any compatibilty hacks in
> favour of adding in and utilising new GCC tree codes that may help
> improve code generation.

Does this have anything to do with merging GDC into GCC? How is that
going BTW?

-- 
Leandro Lucarella (AKA luca)                     http://llucax.com.ar/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Key: 5F5A8D05 (F8CD F9A7 BF00 5431 4145  104C 949E BFB6 5F5A 8D05)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
El techo de mi cuarto lleno de cometas
January 05, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
On 5 January 2012 09:47, Leandro Lucarella <luca@llucax.com.ar> wrote:
> Iain Buclaw, el  4 de enero a las 15:01 me escribiste:
>> Also, bare in mind I will be moving GDC fully across to trunk over the
>> next two months, this is just a first of many stop-gaps that will need
>> to be done to update the code and cipher off any compatibilty hacks in
>> favour of adding in and utilising new GCC tree codes that may help
>> improve code generation.
>
> Does this have anything to do with merging GDC into GCC? How is that
> going BTW?
>

It will be ready when it's ready.  My target is give or take when the
4.8 development window opens, I'll submit everything for inclusion.
By then I will have dropped all backwards compatibility and #ifdef'd
code.



-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
January 06, 2012
Re: Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x
Iain Buclaw, el  5 de enero a las 23:21 me escribiste:
> On 5 January 2012 09:47, Leandro Lucarella <luca@llucax.com.ar> wrote:
> > Iain Buclaw, el  4 de enero a las 15:01 me escribiste:
> >> Also, bare in mind I will be moving GDC fully across to trunk over the
> >> next two months, this is just a first of many stop-gaps that will need
> >> to be done to update the code and cipher off any compatibilty hacks in
> >> favour of adding in and utilising new GCC tree codes that may help
> >> improve code generation.
> >
> > Does this have anything to do with merging GDC into GCC? How is that
> > going BTW?
> 
> It will be ready when it's ready.  My target is give or take when the
> 4.8 development window opens, I'll submit everything for inclusion.
> By then I will have dropped all backwards compatibility and #ifdef'd
> code.

Cool, thanks!

-- 
Leandro Lucarella (AKA luca)                     http://llucax.com.ar/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Key: 5F5A8D05 (F8CD F9A7 BF00 5431 4145  104C 949E BFB6 5F5A 8D05)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Corrí muchas carreras, tratando de alcanzarte a vos.
Pero corría sólo y siempre salí último.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home