January 21, 2012
"Caligo" <iteronvexor@gmail.com> wrote in message news:mailman.643.1327117430.16222.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
>
> You could watch this for free, but it's not amusing.  I know, I just graduated.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

Just watched the first 3 minutes. Out of everything in there, there wasn't one single thing I haven't already been saying for the past 5-10 years.


January 21, 2012
On Friday, 20 January 2012 at 15:40:44 UTC, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> Just came across this amusing 4 minute video:
>
> https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
>
> Anyone have any other WATs you can do in other languages? Bonus points for WATs you can do in D.

void main()
{
   import std.stdio;
   auto a = cast(int[]) [cast(ushort)1, cast(ushort) 2];
   writeln(a);
   auto b = [cast(ushort) 1, cast(ushort) 2];
   auto c = cast(int[]) b;
   writeln(c);
}


January 21, 2012
"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator@gmail.com> wrote in message news:rjmwboyrrzxbbsjkasub@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
> On Saturday, 21 January 2012 at 03:43:50 UTC, Caligo wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE
>
> Oh my, don't get me started on college!
>
> I'm so happy I dropped out of that waste.

I thought I was the only one!

I genuinely *am* proud to be a college dropout. Almost wish I had dropped out of high school, because that would have prevented me from wasting all that time, money and sanity on college.

Most people think I'm nuts when I tell them I *want* to never have a degree ('Course, most people are morons...) But even if it does put me at a disadvantage in what are really only a few isolated cases (contrary to what sheeple are lead to beleive), it doesn't matter: The "college == good" brainwashing MUST STOP, period, and I'd sooner sell my soul than selfishly sit back and blindly contribute to the problem (which would really amount to the same thing).

(Yea, I know Caltech sounds like it might be better, but even if it is...and *still* is...that only makes it the exception to the rule.)


January 21, 2012
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Robert Clipsham <robert@octarineparrot.com> wrote:
> Just came across this amusing 4 minute video:
>
> https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
>
> Anyone have any other WATs you can do in other languages? Bonus points for WATs you can do in D.
>
> --
> Robert
> http://octarineparrot.com/


Maybe a WAT for people new to D.  I personally found this to be confusing and inconsistent.

  float[4] sa = [1, 2, 3, 4];
  float[] da = [1, 2, 3, 4];

  fill(da, map!(sqrt)(da));  // works
  fill(sa, map!(sqrt)(sa));  // doesn't work

  fill(sa[], map!(sqrt)(sa[]));  // ok
January 21, 2012
One of the first bugs I've filed (now 1.5+ years old):

void main()
{
    float[] arr = [1.0, 2.5, 4.0];
    foreach (ref double elem; arr) {
        elem /= 2;
    }
    writeln(arr);  // still [1, 2.5, 4]
}

Issue 4510
January 21, 2012
This issue left me with a permanent avoidance of ref foreach after encountering it the first day I used D.

On 20/01/2012 10:25 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> One of the first bugs I've filed (now 1.5+ years old):
>
> void main()
> {
>      float[] arr = [1.0, 2.5, 4.0];
>      foreach (ref double elem; arr) {
>          elem /= 2;
>      }
>      writeln(arr);  // still [1, 2.5, 4]
> }
>
> Issue 4510

January 21, 2012
On Saturday, 21 January 2012 at 04:20:16 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> The "college == good" brainwashing MUST STOP, period

Aye. What's incredible is I've hard these arguments on
other websites, and a *lot* of people fight it.

Alas, I'm watching this video still, and it gets way too
political as it goes on... even I am tempted to write the
authors off as nutty, and I agree with most the college stuff!

Anyway, I started arguing that college just isn't a good
financial decision for a lot of people. Sure, there's
exceptions, but people need to take a serious look at the
cost/benefit for their specific case and consider all the
other options, including just starting to work immediately.

This argument quickly became a full blown flamewar.

When I was in high school, there was no discussion of
alternatives. When I was asked if I was going to college,
I replied "of course", as if it was a stupid question.
I think this same attitude caused the flamewar.

We're conditioned to see it as not an option with pros
and cons, but as the *only* path that's obviously all good.

Maybe that was true twenty years ago, but it isn't now.

(besides, autodidacts rock.)
January 21, 2012
On Saturday, 21 January 2012 at 04:20:16 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator@gmail.com> wrote in message news:rjmwboyrrzxbbsjkasub@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
>> On Saturday, 21 January 2012 at 03:43:50 UTC, Caligo wrote:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE
>>
>> Oh my, don't get me started on college!
>>
>> I'm so happy I dropped out of that waste.
>
> I thought I was the only one!
>
> I genuinely *am* proud to be a college dropout. Almost wish I had dropped out of high school, because that would have prevented me from wasting all that time, money and sanity on college.
>
> Most people think I'm nuts when I tell them I *want* to never have a degree ('Course, most people are morons...) But even if it does put me at a disadvantage in what are really only a few isolated cases (contrary to what sheeple are lead to beleive), it doesn't matter: The "college == good" brainwashing MUST STOP, period, and I'd sooner sell my soul than selfishly sit back and blindly contribute to the problem (which would really amount to the same thing).
>
> (Yea, I know Caltech sounds like it might be better, but even if it is...and *still* is...that only makes it the exception to the rule.)

I never went to college and I feel no worse for wear for it. At 24, around an age I would be graduating, I'm glad I'm not looking at spending a quarter of my income on school loans. God knows taxes take a big enough toll as it is.

It really is a case-by-case situation though, as much as I'm against "big pharmaceutical", you can't/shouldn't be a doctor without proper education. Unfortunately college, like so many other industries, seems to be growing to fat for it's own good. But then, as a member of the Zeitgeist Movement, I think that about a lot of for-profit organizations. ;)
January 21, 2012
"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ykmzlppuwncgmvgzszbr@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
> On Saturday, 21 January 2012 at 04:20:16 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> The "college == good" brainwashing MUST STOP, period
>
> Aye. What's incredible is I've hard these arguments on other websites, and a *lot* of people fight it.
>
> Alas, I'm watching this video still, and it gets way too political as it goes on... even I am tempted to write the authors off as nutty, and I agree with most the college stuff!
>

Yea, I just stopped at the end of the intro (3 minutes) because I knew that even if it didn't get nutty, I wouldn't have the patience to listen to more without getting too pissed off and stressed out over it. Hell, I've mostly been trying to forget school.

But that's the problem with persuasive videos/speeches/etc: Anyone who's willing to watch already agrees anyway. :/

> Anyway, I started arguing that college just isn't a good financial decision for a lot of people. Sure, there's exceptions, but people need to take a serious look at the cost/benefit for their specific case and consider all the other options, including just starting to work immediately.
>
> This argument quickly became a full blown flamewar.
>
> When I was in high school, there was no discussion of
> alternatives. When I was asked if I was going to college,
> I replied "of course", as if it was a stupid question.
> I think this same attitude caused the flamewar.
>
> We're conditioned to see it as not an option with pros
> and cons, but as the *only* path that's obviously all good.
>

It absolutely is a sacred cow. There's *no* doubt about that.

What *really* pissed me off was when I was deciding I was done with college, *that's* when some administrators and instructors were willing to say things like "college isn't right for everyone". Can you believe it? Yea, *that's* a fine time to tell people things like that. *After* they've gone into debt to line your greedy goddamn pockets...

Speaking of college greed, when I was at BGSU in the early 2000's, the university president (don't remember his name, but I'm sure it can be looked up) laid off 5 or 6 teachers and, at the same time, gave himself a $40k/yr raise (it was already around $200k/yr *before*). I say lock them all up.

> Maybe that was true twenty years ago, but it isn't now.
>
> (besides, autodidacts rock.)

Fuck yea they do! And I'm not just saying that because I am one. All the best professionals I've known, to my knowledge, have been primarily self-taught in their trade. All the worst ones were invariably people who learned in college classes.

Which brings up another point: HR people do it completely ass-backwards. If I were hiring, the resumes with a heavy "degrees and academic achievements" focus would be the first ones in the trash, not the first ones called in (unless I wanted to go all Steve Jobs on their asses ;) ). Hell, I even have a good friend who's a web dev manager with hiring authority, and he's echoed just how terrible those fancy-degree people (sent to him by his organization's HR dept) inevitably are. It's a cycle of shit and it *needs* to stop. The moron-brigades have already fucked our society over far too much, and left alone it'll only get worse.

Another example: around the time I was leaving BGSU (or maybe just a little after), the CS dept's website was *genuinely boasting* about a phenomenal achievement from [a few of] their CS graduate students: They wrote a program that ran on PalmOS. Yup! That's it! It wasn't even anything in particular, the faculty was chest-beating over the mere fact they got anything running on the PalmOS at all. Jesus fuck, that's the biggest brightest thing their **GRAD** students could handle? To pull their heads out of their asses *just* enough to write vaguely-real software? I had *already* been doing that as a *freshman* around a couple years prior! It ain't hard: You grab the device, you grab the compiler, you open the docs, and you move your fingers on the keyboard - just like any other half-way competent coder. What a bunch of utterly worthless self-deluded fucks.


January 21, 2012
"F i L" <witte2008@gmail.com> wrote in message news:szaqbqghgbzolydwwoxe@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
>
> I never went to college and I feel no worse for wear for it. At 24, around an age I would be graduating, I'm glad I'm not looking at spending a quarter of my income on school loans.

If you were *lucky* it would be as low as one-quarter.

> God knows taxes take a big enough toll as it is.
>
> It really is a case-by-case situation though, as much as I'm against "big pharmaceutical", you can't/shouldn't be a doctor without proper education. Unfortunately college, like so many other industries, seems to be growing to fat for it's own good. But then, as a member of the Zeitgeist Movement, I think that about a lot of for-profit organizations. ;)


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home