View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
March 04, 2012
dstep instead of SWIG (was Re: CWrap - higher abstraction level for calling C functions)
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:40:20 +0100
Jacob Carlborg <doob@me.com> wrote:

> DStep is currently used only for automatically generating bindings
> for C functions and Objective-C classes and methods.

Do oyu find that dstep is capable to be used for binding whole C libs
instead of using SWIG?


Sincerely,
Gour


-- 
Everyone is forced to act helplessly according to the qualities 
he has acquired from the modes of material nature; therefore no 
one can refrain from doing something, not even for a moment.

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
March 04, 2012
Re: dstep instead of SWIG (was Re: CWrap - higher abstraction level for calling C functions)
On 2012-03-04 16:13, Gour wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:40:20 +0100
> Jacob Carlborg<doob@me.com>  wrote:
>
>> DStep is currently used only for automatically generating bindings
>> for C functions and Objective-C classes and methods.
>
> Do oyu find that dstep is capable to be used for binding whole C libs
> instead of using SWIG?
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour

It's not there yet but that's the idea.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
March 05, 2012
Re: dstep instead of SWIG
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:18:19 +0100
Jacob Carlborg <doob@me.com> wrote:

> It's not there yet but that's the idea.

Thank you. It makes dstep attractive alternative then.

What would be some pro/cons of dstep vs SWIG?


Sincerely,
Gour


-- 
But a person free from all attachment and aversion and able 
to control his senses through regulative principles of 
freedom can obtain the complete mercy of the Lord.

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
March 05, 2012
Re: dstep instead of SWIG
On 2012-03-05 09:42, Gour wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:18:19 +0100
> Jacob Carlborg<doob@me.com>  wrote:
>
>> It's not there yet but that's the idea.
>
> Thank you. It makes dstep attractive alternative then.
>
> What would be some pro/cons of dstep vs SWIG?
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
>

Well, I'm not familiar with SWIG but a few pros for DStep would probably be:

* Specifically targeted for D
* Handles Objective-C
* No need for interface files
* Uses a complete frontend to do the parsing
* Static linking

Pros for SWIG

* Handles C++
* In a more complete sate

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
March 05, 2012
Re: dstep instead of SWIG
Il giorno lun, 05/03/2012 alle 10.25 +0100, Jacob Carlborg ha scritto:

> Pros for SWIG
> 
> * Handles C++


And classes, of course!


> * In a more complete sate
March 05, 2012
Re: dstep instead of SWIG
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:25:28 +0100
Jacob Carlborg <doob@me.com> wrote:

> * Specifically targeted for D

That's a good one.

> * Handles Objective-C

No interest for it atm.

> * No need for interface files

This is also nice, but I wonder if one can tailor D side of the binding
or dstep is meant to just provide wrapper for C function?

In the latter case, glueing dstsep with CWrape would be nice.

> * Uses a complete front-end to do the parsing
> * Static linking

Those are very nice as well...I might try dstep, so you can expect some
issues @github. ;)

> Pros for SWIG
> 
> * Handles C++

We anticipate that our C++ usage in D is limited just to GUI libs and
hopefully there will be new wxD soon.

> * In a more complete sate

That's true atm, but I'm not sure how much is klickverbot committed to
work on it...so, having specific binding tool for D is very nice in any
case.


Sincerely,
Gour

--
March 05, 2012
Re: dstep instead of SWIG
On 2012-03-05 10:49, Gour wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:25:28 +0100
> Jacob Carlborg<doob@me.com>  wrote:
>
>> * Specifically targeted for D
>
> That's a good one.
>
>> * Handles Objective-C
>
> No interest for it atm.
>
>> * No need for interface files
>
> This is also nice, but I wonder if one can tailor D side of the binding
> or dstep is meant to just provide wrapper for C function?

Currently it's only meant to just provide bindings.

> In the latter case, glueing dstsep with CWrape would be nice.
>
>> * Uses a complete front-end to do the parsing
>> * Static linking
>
> Those are very nice as well...I might try dstep, so you can expect some
> issues @github. ;)

Unfortunately it's not in a state where it's ready to be tested yet. 
Sure you can always test it but there's no point in reporting issues for 
something I know isn't finished or working. But help developing the tool 
is always welcome.

>> Pros for SWIG
>>
>> * Handles C++
>
> We anticipate that our C++ usage in D is limited just to GUI libs and
> hopefully there will be new wxD soon.
>
>> * In a more complete sate
>
> That's true atm, but I'm not sure how much is klickverbot committed to
> work on it...so, having specific binding tool for D is very nice in any
> case.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour
>


-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
Next ›   Last »
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home