View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
May 26, 2012
Compiling Data into a D Executable
http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1140/entry-2254294-compiling-data-into-a-d-executable/

and on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/u5sgs/compiling_data_into_a_d_executable/
May 27, 2012
Re: Compiling Data into a D Executable
On Sat, 26 May 2012 19:51:48 +0200, Walter Bright  
<newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:

> http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1140/entry-2254294-compiling-data-into-a-d-executable/
>
> and on Reddit:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/u5sgs/compiling_data_into_a_d_executable/

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=1985
May 27, 2012
Re: Compiling Data into a D Executable
This would mean that all that data is in memory at runtime i 
guess ? ...

And if so is there a way to avoid this...

I frequently use a audiovisual "slideshow" program called 
mobjects. It can compile your slideshow to an executable (often 
larger thn 1GiB) but it's memory footprint at runtime is rather 
small.
May 27, 2012
Re: Compiling Data into a D Executable
27.05.2012 15:40, Pieter De Bruyne написал:
> This would mean that all that data is in memory at runtime i guess ? ...
>
> And if so is there a way to avoid this...
>
> I frequently use a audiovisual "slideshow" program called mobjects. It
> can compile your slideshow to an executable (often larger thn 1GiB) but
> it's memory footprint at runtime is rather small.
>

When executable is opened, it's content (code, data, whatever) is loaded 
lazily ei. only if needed (on first read/write). Note that it still eats 
process virtual address space.

-- 
Денис В. Шеломовский
Denis V. Shelomovskij
May 27, 2012
Re: Compiling Data into a D Executable
27.05.2012 15:40, Pieter De Bruyne написал:
> This would mean that all that data is in memory at runtime i guess ? ...
>
> And if so is there a way to avoid this...
>
> It can compile your slideshow to an executable (often larger thn 1GiB)
>

By the way, dmd takes 14 s with full load of one CPU core to include 40 
MiB file as a string import on my PC so you will have to wait a lot if 
you wish to include ~1 GiB.

-- 
Денис В. Шеломовский
Denis V. Shelomovskij
May 27, 2012
Re: Compiling Data into a D Executable
On 5/27/2012 9:56 AM, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> By the way, dmd takes 14 s with full load of one CPU core to include 40 MiB file
> as a string import on my PC so you will have to wait a lot if you wish to
> include ~1 GiB.


This should be a bug report in Bugzilla.
May 28, 2012
Re: Compiling Data into a D Executable
28.05.2012 0:19, Walter Bright написал:
> On 5/27/2012 9:56 AM, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
>> By the way, dmd takes 14 s with full load of one CPU core to include
>> 40 MiB file
>> as a string import on my PC so you will have to wait a lot if you wish to
>> include ~1 GiB.
>
>
> This should be a bug report in Bugzilla.

Filled Issue 8156 - Very slow compilation with string-imported file ~100 MiB
http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8156

-- 
Денис В. Шеломовский
Denis V. Shelomovskij
May 28, 2012
Re: Compiling Data into a D Executable
On 5/27/2012 10:41 PM, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> Filled Issue 8156 - Very slow compilation with string-imported file ~100 MiB
> http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8156


Thanks!
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home