View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
June 23, 2012
std.string.format
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/231

What are the plans for this? I really think the current format() 
implementation needs to go; the use of varargs makes it very annoying to 
work with since, for example, enum types decay to integral types.

I could start using xformat(), but if that's going to be deprecated at 
some point, too, well...

-- 
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex@lycus.org
http://lycus.org
June 24, 2012
Re: std.string.format
On Saturday, 23 June 2012 at 18:06:32 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen 
wrote:
> I could start using xformat(), but if that's going to be 
> deprecated at some point, too, well...

...you'd have to do a two second search and replace.
June 24, 2012
Re: std.string.format
On 24-06-2012 09:10, Bernard Helyer wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 June 2012 at 18:06:32 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> I could start using xformat(), but if that's going to be deprecated at
>> some point, too, well...
>
> ....you'd have to do a two second search and replace.
>
>

...and introduce a dependency on a newer Phobos.

-- 
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex@lycus.org
http://lycus.org
June 24, 2012
Re: std.string.format
On Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 07:56:04 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen 
wrote:
> On 24-06-2012 09:10, Bernard Helyer wrote:
>> On Saturday, 23 June 2012 at 18:06:32 UTC, Alex Rønne 
>> Petersen wrote:
>>> I could start using xformat(), but if that's going to be 
>>> deprecated at
>>> some point, too, well...
>>
>> ....you'd have to do a two second search and replace.
>>
>>
>
> ...and introduce a dependency on a newer Phobos.

If you're using D and are supporting old builds you're braver 
than I. Personally I only care about RELEASE and RELEASE-1.
June 24, 2012
Re: std.string.format
On Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 07:56:04 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen 
wrote:
> On 24-06-2012 09:10, Bernard Helyer wrote:
>> On Saturday, 23 June 2012 at 18:06:32 UTC, Alex Rønne 
>> Petersen wrote:
>>> I could start using xformat(), but if that's going to be 
>>> deprecated at
>>> some point, too, well...
>>
>> ....you'd have to do a two second search and replace.
>>
>>
>
> ...and introduce a dependency on a newer Phobos.

Wwwwait a minute. You have exactly the same problem if format is 
changed.
June 24, 2012
Re: std.string.format
On Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 15:02:08 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:
> Wwwwait a minute. You have exactly the same problem if format 
> is changed.

No, because it is source compatible in the vast majority of 
cases. See the discussion linked above.

David
June 25, 2012
Re: std.string.format
On Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 16:14:29 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 15:02:08 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:
>> Wwwwait a minute. You have exactly the same problem if format 
>> is changed.
>
> No, because it is source compatible in the vast majority of 
> cases.

Famous last words David. :P
July 01, 2012
Re: std.string.format
It's now scheduled for replacement.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/commit/3485ac4fba2428f8e99abe1a00d7f693a45e1029

Kenji Hara

2012/6/24 Alex Rønne Petersen <alex@lycus.org>:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/231
>
> What are the plans for this? I really think the current format()
> implementation needs to go; the use of varargs makes it very annoying to
> work with since, for example, enum types decay to integral types.
>
> I could start using xformat(), but if that's going to be deprecated at some
> point, too, well...
>
> --
> Alex Rønne Petersen
> alex@lycus.org
> http://lycus.org
>
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home