Thread overview
!Alert! code.dlang.org down
Jan 10
Seb
Jan 10
Seb
Jan 11
Seb
January 10
In the moment I don't have access, hopefully this is only temporal problem and the rescue team for fixing is already on the way...

January 10
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 10:10:22 UTC, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
> In the moment I don't have access, hopefully this is only temporal problem and the rescue team for fixing is already on the way...

Hehe, I'm working on adding more stability to our CI infrastructure, e.g.

https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build/pull/1282
https://github.com/dlang/installer/pull/214
https://github.com/dlang/installer/pull/291

DUB >= 1.6.0 comes with a couple of mirrors and should softly fallback to them:

https://code-mirror.dlang.io
http://code-mirror3.dlang.io

code-mirror2 seems to be down too. I will have a look into that.
January 10
I am able to provide my VPS for mirroring too. Is there a tutorial how to do it?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:27 AM, Seb via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 10:10:22 UTC, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
>
>> In the moment I don't have access, hopefully this is only temporal problem and the rescue team for fixing is already on the way...
>>
>
> Hehe, I'm working on adding more stability to our CI infrastructure, e.g.
>
> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build/pull/1282 https://github.com/dlang/installer/pull/214 https://github.com/dlang/installer/pull/291
>
> DUB >= 1.6.0 comes with a couple of mirrors and should softly fallback to them:
>
> https://code-mirror.dlang.io
> http://code-mirror3.dlang.io
>
> code-mirror2 seems to be down too. I will have a look into that.
>


January 10
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 10:36:57 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> I am able to provide my VPS for mirroring too. Is there a tutorial how to do it?

The dub-registry binary can be started with `--mirror=https://code.dlang.org`
Martin even an Ansible script for dub-mirror.dlang.io:

https://github.com/dlang/ci/blob/master/ansible/roles/dub_registry_mirror/tasks/main.yml

It boils down to these tasks:

1) git clone https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry
2) dub #  <- maybe -b release
3) Install mongo and start

sudo apt-get install mongodb && sudo systemctl enable mongodb && sudo systemctl start mongodb

4) Configure a systemd service

Here's my systemd service:

> /etc/systemd/system/dub-registry.service

-----
[Unit]
Description=DUB registry
OnFailure=unit-status-mail@%n.service

[Service]
Environment="PORT=9001"
ExecStart=/opt/projects/dub-registry/dub-registry --port 8005 --mirror=https://code.dlang.org --hostname=code-mirror2.dlang.org --vv
WorkingDirectory=/opt/projects/dub-registry
Restart=always
RestartSec=30
User=dub-registry

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
------


> [Unit]
Description=Unit Status Mailer Service
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/opt/bin/unit-status-mail.sh "%I" "Hostname: %H" "Machine ID: %m" "Boot ID: %b"
----


> /opt/bin/unit-status-mail.sh

----
#!/bin/bash
MAILTO="root"
MAILFROM="unit-status-mailer"
UNIT=$1

EXTRA=""
for e in "${@:2}"; do
  EXTRA+="$e"$'\n'
done

UNITSTATUS=$(systemctl status $UNIT)
UNITLOG=$(journalctl -u $UNIT -r | head -n 100)

sendmail $MAILTO <<EOF
From:$MAILFROM
To:$MAILTO
Subject:Status of: $UNIT

Status report for unit: $UNIT
$EXTRA

$UNITSTATUS

$UNITLOG
EOF

echo -e "Status mail sent to: $MAILTO for unit: $UNIT"
---

5) Configure Nginx

> /etc/nginx/sites-available/dub-mirror
---

server {
	listen 80;
	listen [::]:80;
	server_name code-mirror2.dlang.io;

	location / {
		proxy_pass http://localhost:8005;
	}
}
---

6) Configure Letsencrypt for SSL (optional)
7) Add yourself to this list:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/blob/master/source/dub/dub.d#L64

Note that with a few tweaks it's possible to run the dub-registry on Heroku:

https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/pull/231
January 10
Thank you :)

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Seb via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 10:36:57 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
>
>> I am able to provide my VPS for mirroring too. Is there a tutorial how to do it?
>>
>
> The dub-registry binary can be started with `--mirror=https://code.dlang.o
> rg`
> Martin even an Ansible script for dub-mirror.dlang.io:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/ci/blob/master/ansible/roles/dub_re gistry_mirror/tasks/main.yml
>
> It boils down to these tasks:
>
> 1) git clone https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry
> 2) dub #  <- maybe -b release
> 3) Install mongo and start
>
> sudo apt-get install mongodb && sudo systemctl enable mongodb && sudo systemctl start mongodb
>
> 4) Configure a systemd service
>
> Here's my systemd service:
>
> /etc/systemd/system/dub-registry.service
>>
>
> -----
> [Unit]
> Description=DUB registry
> OnFailure=unit-status-mail@%n.service
>
> [Service]
> Environment="PORT=9001"
> ExecStart=/opt/projects/dub-registry/dub-registry --port 8005 --mirror=
> https://code.dlang.org --hostname=code-mirror2.dlang.org --vv
> WorkingDirectory=/opt/projects/dub-registry
> Restart=always
> RestartSec=30
> User=dub-registry
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
> ------
>
>
> [Unit]
>>
> Description=Unit Status Mailer Service
> After=network.target
>
> [Service]
> Type=simple
> ExecStart=/opt/bin/unit-status-mail.sh "%I" "Hostname: %H" "Machine ID:
> %m" "Boot ID: %b"
> ----
>
>
> /opt/bin/unit-status-mail.sh
>>
>
> ----
> #!/bin/bash
> MAILTO="root"
> MAILFROM="unit-status-mailer"
> UNIT=$1
>
> EXTRA=""
> for e in "${@:2}"; do
>   EXTRA+="$e"$'\n'
> done
>
> UNITSTATUS=$(systemctl status $UNIT)
> UNITLOG=$(journalctl -u $UNIT -r | head -n 100)
>
> sendmail $MAILTO <<EOF
> From:$MAILFROM
> To:$MAILTO
> Subject:Status of: $UNIT
>
> Status report for unit: $UNIT
> $EXTRA
>
> $UNITSTATUS
>
> $UNITLOG
> EOF
>
> echo -e "Status mail sent to: $MAILTO for unit: $UNIT"
> ---
>
> 5) Configure Nginx
>
> /etc/nginx/sites-available/dub-mirror
>>
> ---
>
> server {
>         listen 80;
>         listen [::]:80;
>         server_name code-mirror2.dlang.io;
>
>         location / {
>                 proxy_pass http://localhost:8005;
>         }
> }
> ---
>
> 6) Configure Letsencrypt for SSL (optional)
> 7) Add yourself to this list:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dub/blob/master/source/dub/dub.d#L64
>
> Note that with a few tweaks it's possible to run the dub-registry on Heroku:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/pull/231
>


January 10
OK, I am unable to compile dub-registry :D, I have only 4GB free RAM and it seems it is not enought LOL

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Daniel Kozak <kozzi11@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you :)
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Seb via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 10:36:57 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
>>
>>> I am able to provide my VPS for mirroring too. Is there a tutorial how to do it?
>>>
>>
>> The dub-registry binary can be started with `--mirror=
>> https://code.dlang.org`
>> Martin even an Ansible script for dub-mirror.dlang.io:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/ci/blob/master/ansible/roles/dub_re gistry_mirror/tasks/main.yml
>>
>> It boils down to these tasks:
>>
>> 1) git clone https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry
>> 2) dub #  <- maybe -b release
>> 3) Install mongo and start
>>
>> sudo apt-get install mongodb && sudo systemctl enable mongodb && sudo systemctl start mongodb
>>
>> 4) Configure a systemd service
>>
>> Here's my systemd service:
>>
>> /etc/systemd/system/dub-registry.service
>>>
>>
>> -----
>> [Unit]
>> Description=DUB registry
>> OnFailure=unit-status-mail@%n.service
>>
>> [Service]
>> Environment="PORT=9001"
>> ExecStart=/opt/projects/dub-registry/dub-registry --port 8005 --mirror=
>> https://code.dlang.org --hostname=code-mirror2.dlang.org --vv
>> WorkingDirectory=/opt/projects/dub-registry
>> Restart=always
>> RestartSec=30
>> User=dub-registry
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>> ------
>>
>>
>> [Unit]
>>>
>> Description=Unit Status Mailer Service
>> After=network.target
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=simple
>> ExecStart=/opt/bin/unit-status-mail.sh "%I" "Hostname: %H" "Machine ID:
>> %m" "Boot ID: %b"
>> ----
>>
>>
>> /opt/bin/unit-status-mail.sh
>>>
>>
>> ----
>> #!/bin/bash
>> MAILTO="root"
>> MAILFROM="unit-status-mailer"
>> UNIT=$1
>>
>> EXTRA=""
>> for e in "${@:2}"; do
>>   EXTRA+="$e"$'\n'
>> done
>>
>> UNITSTATUS=$(systemctl status $UNIT)
>> UNITLOG=$(journalctl -u $UNIT -r | head -n 100)
>>
>> sendmail $MAILTO <<EOF
>> From:$MAILFROM
>> To:$MAILTO
>> Subject:Status of: $UNIT
>>
>> Status report for unit: $UNIT
>> $EXTRA
>>
>> $UNITSTATUS
>>
>> $UNITLOG
>> EOF
>>
>> echo -e "Status mail sent to: $MAILTO for unit: $UNIT"
>> ---
>>
>> 5) Configure Nginx
>>
>> /etc/nginx/sites-available/dub-mirror
>>>
>> ---
>>
>> server {
>>         listen 80;
>>         listen [::]:80;
>>         server_name code-mirror2.dlang.io;
>>
>>         location / {
>>                 proxy_pass http://localhost:8005;
>>         }
>> }
>> ---
>>
>> 6) Configure Letsencrypt for SSL (optional)
>> 7) Add yourself to this list:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dub/blob/master/source/dub/dub.d#L64
>>
>> Note that with a few tweaks it's possible to run the dub-registry on Heroku:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/pull/231
>>
>
>


January 10
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 10:10:22 UTC, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
> In the moment I don't have access, hopefully this is only temporal problem and the rescue team for fixing is already on the way...

Tips from the folks on Discord, for DUB outages:

1. If you have all required dependencies in your cache, and just want to avoid the network:

    dub --skip-registry=all

    Very useful on slow networks. However this won't help if you don't have the libraries in your cache.


2. If you wish to use a mirror

    dub --skip-registry=standard -v --registry=http://code-mirror.dlang.io


3. If you need to fetch packages and mirror are down too

    - git clone every repositery you need from GitHub
    - $ dub add-local in every of these repositery
    You might want to checkout older tags if you are not using the latest version of these repositeries.


January 11
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 23:25:16 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 10:10:22 UTC, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
>> In the moment I don't have access, hopefully this is only temporal problem and the rescue team for fixing is already on the way...
>
> Tips from the folks on Discord, for DUB outages:
>
> 1. If you have all required dependencies in your cache, and just want to avoid the network:
>
>     dub --skip-registry=all
>
>     Very useful on slow networks. However this won't help if you don't have the libraries in your cache.
>
>
> 2. If you wish to use a mirror
>
>     dub --skip-registry=standard -v --registry=http://code-mirror.dlang.io
>
>
> 3. If you need to fetch packages and mirror are down too
>
>     - git clone every repositery you need from GitHub
>     - $ dub add-local in every of these repositery
>     You might want to checkout older tags if you are not using the latest version of these repositeries.

Thank you for the hints, actually my problem was, that I wished to access the DUB docs.
And the strange thing was, that even the google cache tried to connect to code.dlang.org during delivery of the cached page, so that even looking on the cached google content took quite a long time before there was a timeout.

Therefore we should think about placing these kinds of infos about DUB not on the DUB server at code.dlang.org.


January 11
On Thursday, 11 January 2018 at 11:10:29 UTC, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 23:25:16 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Thank you for the hints, actually my problem was, that I wished to access the DUB docs.
> And the strange thing was, that even the google cache tried to connect to code.dlang.org during delivery of the cached page, so that even looking on the cached google content took quite a long time before there was a timeout.
>
> Therefore we should think about placing these kinds of infos about DUB not on the DUB server at code.dlang.org.

The docs are on GitHub too:

git clone https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry

Start with:

dub

Of course I agree that the dub documentation should find a different spot, actually everyone does. I think it's just lacking someone who does the hard work.
January 11
On Thursday, 11 January 2018 at 11:10:29 UTC, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
> Thank you for the hints, actually my problem was, that I wished to access the DUB docs.

Me too. web.archive.org [1] helped me out.

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20171123172459/https://code.dlang.org/