October 11, 2013
On 10/11/2013 09:14 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 15:58:31 UTC, brad clawsie wrote:
>> this is fantastic news. I've been reading your book and lurking
>> in these forums unregistered for a while...signed up to
>> congratulate you!
>
> By the way, you don't need to register to post here :)

And you don't even need to be here. :) I use Thunderbird for these newsgroups.

Ali

October 11, 2013
On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 00:36:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Today I committed the first 5112 lines of D code to Facebook's repository. The project is in heavy daily use at Facebook. Compared to the original version (written in C++) we've measured massive wins in all of source code size, build speed, and running speed.
>
> In all likelihood we'll follow up with a blog post describing the process.
>
>
> Andrei

Looking forward to coming back :). Well done!
October 11, 2013
On 10/11/2013 5:19 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> (Can you tell who re-read LOTR recently?:-)

Forgive me, I read LOTR over 40 years ago!
October 11, 2013
Wow, the reddit thing is going absolutely nuts. I wish reddit's format was more readable, it is so hard to find new stuff among the mess of a tree layout :(
October 11, 2013
On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 00:36:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Today I committed the first 5112 lines of D code to Facebook's repository. The project is in heavy daily use at Facebook. Compared to the original version (written in C++) we've measured massive wins in all of source code size, build speed, and running speed.
>
> In all likelihood we'll follow up with a blog post describing the process.
>
>
> Andrei

Congratulations! Thanks Andrei for pushing hard a Facebook and thanks to all core D devs for their hard work too.

Looking forward to the blog post...and the day I can code at work in D

Before D
    ,-~~-.___.
   / |  '     \
  (  )        0
   \_/-, ,----'
      ====           //
     /  \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /  __/~|   /       |
  =(  _____| (_________|

After D!
           __-----_.                        ______
          /  \      \           o  O  O   _(      )__
         /    |  |   \_---_   o._.      _(           )_
        |     |            \   | |""""(_   Brilliant! _)
        |     |             |@ | |    (_      :D      _)
         \___/   ___       /   | |      (__          _)
           \____(____\___/     | |         (________)
           |__|                | |          |
           /   \-_             | |         |'
         /      \_ "__ _       !_!--v---v--"
        /         "|  |>)      |""""""""|
       |          _|  | ._--""||        |
       _\_____________|_|_____||________|_

(Not mine: http://www.chris.com/ascii/index.php?art=comics/peanuts)
October 12, 2013
Will we get to hear more about this at C++ and Beyond and maybe a whole D talk?
October 12, 2013
On 10/11/13 5:02 PM, erik wrote:
> Will we get to hear more about this at C++ and Beyond and maybe a whole
> D talk?

That event is entirely dedicated to C++.

Andrei
October 12, 2013
On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 00:36:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Today I committed the first 5112 lines of D code to Facebook's repository. The project is in heavy daily use at Facebook. Compared to the original version (written in C++) we've measured massive wins in all of source code size, build speed, and running speed.
>
> In all likelihood we'll follow up with a blog post describing the process.
>
>
> Andrei

It's fantastic. I think that every new project that they are
going to be in C++, D should to be used instead of.
October 12, 2013
On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 21:24:01 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Wow, the reddit thing is going absolutely nuts. I wish reddit's format was more readable, it is so hard to find new stuff among the mess of a tree layout :(

Agree.

You might want to try a userscript I forked, which:
1. Highlights unread comments.
2. Allows to navigate through unread comments with Ctrl + Up / Ctrl + Down.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/179121
October 12, 2013
On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 05:11:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 10:05 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Awesome! Great bragging rights for D :)
>
> It's the first battle signaling the end of Middle Earth, and the rise of the Age of D. The old guard will be sailing to the Grey Havens soon.

They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!

*dodges*
1 2 3 4 5 6 7