View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
August 18
D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
Congratulations to everyone involved!

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2dwqvy/d_2066_nogc_c_namespaces_multidimensional_slices/

https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/905593426121006

https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/501443132115140609


Andrei
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
I have a mixed feelings about this release. It has some really 
cool features and is good to finally see live. But it has taken 
ages and there are still many open regressions 
(http://wiki.dlang.org/Beta_Testing). And stuff like 
https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11946 is just small 
disaster - complicated by the fact that no one but Kenji seems to 
be able neither to fix it nor even revert it.

I don't know if we can do anything better about it.
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
On 8/18/2014 12:00 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Congratulations to everyone involved!
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2dwqvy/d_2066_nogc_c_namespaces_multidimensional_slices/
>
>
> https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/905593426121006
>
> https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/501443132115140609

126 contributors, to be precise!
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
On Monday, 18 August 2014 at 19:00:23 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:

Support for new flag -vcolumns in Emacs FlyCheck is soon about to 
follow:

https://github.com/flycheck/flycheck/issues/460
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
On Monday, 18 August 2014 at 19:23:14 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> I have a mixed feelings about this release. It has some really 
> cool features and is good to finally see live. But it has taken 
> ages and there are still many open regressions 
> (http://wiki.dlang.org/Beta_Testing). And stuff like 
> https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11946 is just small 
> disaster - complicated by the fact that no one but Kenji seems 
> to be able neither to fix it nor even revert it.
>
> I don't know if we can do anything better about it.

I agree, I am also surprised that 2.066 was released despite the 
regressions. I uncovered a few just by accidentally instructing 
someone on #d to build their project against git HEAD. Most of 
the regressions were found in his project's dub dependencies - 
libraries published on code.dlang.org.

I was thinking of trying to see if more projects on the dub 
registry failed to build with the 2.066 RC once the current round 
of regressions was resolved.

How is it decided when it's time to cut off a new release? Do we 
have two RCs and that's it?
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
On Monday, 18 August 2014 at 19:23:14 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

> I don't know if we can do anything better about it.

2.067
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
On Monday, 18 August 2014 at 20:43:44 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
> On Monday, 18 August 2014 at 19:23:14 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> I have a mixed feelings about this release. It has some really 
>> cool features and is good to finally see live. But it has 
>> taken ages and there are still many open regressions 
>> (http://wiki.dlang.org/Beta_Testing). And stuff like 
>> https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11946 is just small 
>> disaster - complicated by the fact that no one but Kenji seems 
>> to be able neither to fix it nor even revert it.
>>
>> I don't know if we can do anything better about it.
>
> I agree, I am also surprised that 2.066 was released despite 
> the regressions. I uncovered a few just by accidentally 
> instructing someone on #d to build their project against git 
> HEAD. Most of the regressions were found in his project's dub 
> dependencies - libraries published on code.dlang.org.
>
> I was thinking of trying to see if more projects on the dub 
> registry failed to build with the 2.066 RC once the current 
> round of regressions was resolved.
>
> How is it decided when it's time to cut off a new release? Do 
> we have two RCs and that's it?

I don't know. There was nothing in the mail list until Andrei 
came with announcement and I did not expect it at all - in fact I 
would have merged one of regression fixes for Phobos 12 hours 
earlier otherwise.
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
Vladimir Panteleev:

> I agree, I am also surprised that 2.066 was released despite 
> the regressions.

There is an apparently endless stream of regressions, I have 
found another today 
(https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13321 ). I think D is 
not yet at the stage of its development where it can hope to fix 
all the regressions. So if you try to wait for all regressions to 
be fixed, you never ship a compiler version, and this has serious 
disadvantages. So better to be a little more practical for now. 
2.066 has took ages to come out, it was overdue. I hope 2.067 
will come out much quicker.

Bye,
bearophile
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
On Monday, 18 August 2014 at 21:57:19 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Vladimir Panteleev:
>
>> I agree, I am also surprised that 2.066 was released despite 
>> the regressions.
>
> There is an apparently endless stream of regressions, I have 
> found another today 
> (https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13321 ). I think D is 
> not yet at the stage of its development where it can hope to 
> fix all the regressions. So if you try to wait for all 
> regressions to be fixed, you never ship a compiler version, and 
> this has serious disadvantages. So better to be a little more 
> practical for now. 2.066 has took ages to come out, it was 
> overdue. I hope 2.067 will come out much quicker.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

What's the advantage of this over maintaing packages for the RC
version until it's ready?
August 18
Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy!
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 22:01:24 +0000
bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:

> What's the advantage of this over maintaing packages for the RC
> version until it's ready?
'cause not releasing periodically means "ah, it will never be ready!
let's look at another language, D is not worth using yet."
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home