February 04, 2015
On 2/4/15, Kingsley via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
> A couple of issues came out of the challenge regarding familiarity with syntax and then spending time hunting down the docs - is there a forall in D?

What would forall do?
February 04, 2015
usually it applies to a collection e.g. List

in Scala there is one - that takes a function that returns a boolean. e.g.

List(1,2,3).forall(x => x < 3)

which is equivalent to a foldLeft ( I think)



On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 14:52:32 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 2/4/15, Kingsley via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>> A couple of issues came out of the challenge regarding
>> familiarity with syntax and then spending time hunting down the
>> docs - is there a forall in D?
>
> What would forall do?

February 04, 2015
On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 15:02:09 UTC, Kingsley wrote:
> usually it applies to a collection e.g. List
>
> in Scala there is one - that takes a function that returns a boolean. e.g.
>
> List(1,2,3).forall(x => x < 3)

If I understand what you want correctly, std.algorithm.all
February 04, 2015
John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce píše v St 04. 02. 2015 v 15:08 +0000:
> On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 15:02:09 UTC, Kingsley wrote:
> > usually it applies to a collection e.g. List
> >
> > in Scala there is one - that takes a function that returns a boolean. e.g.
> >
> > List(1,2,3).forall(x => x < 3)
> 
> If I understand what you want correctly, std.algorithm.all
I am not sure maybe he wants std.algorithm.filter

February 04, 2015
John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce píše v St 04. 02. 2015 v 15:08 +0000:
> On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 15:02:09 UTC, Kingsley wrote:
> > usually it applies to a collection e.g. List
> >
> > in Scala there is one - that takes a function that returns a boolean. e.g.
> >
> > List(1,2,3).forall(x => x < 3)
> 
> If I understand what you want correctly, std.algorithm.all

Yep, ignore my previous answer

February 04, 2015
Thank you, Kingsley, for a very well organized and thought-through event.  I was impressed by the calibre of people that attended, and look forward to attending future meetups.
February 04, 2015
One interesting anecdote: somebody in a financial services company gave an account of giving D a try as a way to prototype something quickly, intending to rewrite it later in a more conventional language.  The prototype went straight into production, and they are happy with it.  The C interop was important for them to have made this possible.

It was interesting, because it is a serious company where people don't by any means have a hacker mentality, and it was one more point at variance with the "I am a java programmer but do all my personal projects in D" narrative, and also because this particular kind of company is exactly the sort of second wave early adopter one wants to have.

(I hope I represented this accurately, and tried to make this as vague as possible whilst still keeping it useful since people might not want the details of what they do being public).
February 04, 2015
On 4 February 2015 at 21:17, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
> One interesting anecdote: somebody in a financial services company gave an account of giving D a try as a way to prototype something quickly, intending to rewrite it later in a more conventional language.  The prototype went straight into production, and they are happy with it.  The C interop was important for them to have made this possible.
>
> It was interesting, because it is a serious company where people don't by any means have a hacker mentality, and it was one more point at variance with the "I am a java programmer but do all my personal projects in D" narrative, and also because this particular kind of company is exactly the sort of second wave early adopter one wants to have.
>
> (I hope I represented this accurately, and tried to make this as vague as possible whilst still keeping it useful since people might not want the details of what they do being public).

That pretty much sums up my understanding of it too.
February 05, 2015
On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 21:35 +0000, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> […]
> 
> That pretty much sums up my understanding of it too.

I recollect the "banter" including (paraphrased): "if the prototype works, just put it into production, it's standard practice."

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

February 05, 2015
On Thursday, 5 February 2015 at 12:06:31 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 21:35 +0000, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> […]
>> 
>> That pretty much sums up my understanding of it too.
>
> I recollect the "banter" including (paraphrased): "if the prototype
> works, just put it into production, it's standard practice."

Shhh...  We have investors to keep happy.
1 2 3