Thread overview
dcollections
Nov 06, 2012
deadalnix
Nov 06, 2012
Jesse Phillips
November 06, 2012
Hello all,

Very naive question about dcollections 2.0 and std.container -- what are the reasons why dcollections has had to be developed as a standalone library, and what's in the way of incorporating that functionality into Phobos?

I have some potential use-cases where some of the not-in-Phobos stuff (e.g. sets) might be a good solution.  It'd clearly be much nicer to be able to rely purely on the standard library instead of something outside.  So, if there are some trivial things that can be done to get code transferred (e.g. if it's just a matter of time that people don't have), it'd be nice to know, in case I can do something to assist.

Thanks & best wishes,

-- Joe
November 06, 2012
Le 06/11/2012 15:10, Joseph Rushton Wakeling a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> Very naive question about dcollections 2.0 and std.container -- what are
> the reasons why dcollections has had to be developed as a standalone
> library, and what's in the way of incorporating that functionality into
> Phobos?
>

Allocator design.

> I have some potential use-cases where some of the not-in-Phobos stuff
> (e.g. sets) might be a good solution. It'd clearly be much nicer to be
> able to rely purely on the standard library instead of something
> outside. So, if there are some trivial things that can be done to get
> code transferred (e.g. if it's just a matter of time that people don't
> have), it'd be nice to know, in case I can do something to assist.
>

You are not alone. You have my full psychological support.
November 06, 2012
On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 14:10:35 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Very naive question about dcollections 2.0 and std.container -- what are the reasons why dcollections has had to be developed as a standalone library, and what's in the way of incorporating that functionality into Phobos?
>
> I have some potential use-cases where some of the not-in-Phobos stuff (e.g. sets) might be a good solution.  It'd clearly be much nicer to be able to rely purely on the standard library instead of something outside.  So, if there are some trivial things that can be done to get code transferred (e.g. if it's just a matter of time that people don't have), it'd be nice to know, in case I can do something to assist.
>
> Thanks & best wishes,
>
>     -- Joe

dcollections is Boost and the author fully supports moving anything into Phobos, several existing came from dcollections.

The design of dcollections is at odds with the intended design of std.collections. I believe it was Cursor vs Range. And much of std.collections is waiting on finalization of what custom allocators will look like.

... seems dsource is barfing...