View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
August 03, 2011
Re: Status/future of the DDT project?
On 01/08/2011 20:14, Andrew Wiley wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Ary Manzana <ary@esperanto.org.ar
> <mailto:ary@esperanto.org.ar>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/1/11 2:16 PM, Trass3r wrote:
>
>         Am 01.08.2011, 13:39 Uhr, schrieb Samuel Lampa
>         <samuel.lampa@scilifelab.uu.se
>         <mailto:samuel.lampa@scilifelab.uu.se>__>:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I'm looking into using D for some sysadmin tools I need to
>             develop att
>             UPPMAX, and thus is looking for a good IDE for use on Linux,
>             that
>             supports debugging (step/go-into etc) debugging and code
>             completion.
>
>
>         I think DDT doesn't support debugging yet.
>         But unfortunately there's no real alternative (I know of).
>
>
>     Someone could try to contribute to DDT by extracting Descent's
>     debugger from it (the code is totally separated from other IDE
>     features so it's should be straight forward). Though Descent's
>     debugger only worked with ddbg (dead, I think) and gdb (which kind
>     of understands D, but not that much).
>
>
> That's the trick. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't had
> any luck figuring out how to debug code compiled by DMD with any sort of
> efficiency, so I've just been using GDC for everything. The problem is
> that integrating gdb would require the IDE to know the difference
> between the two, which is non-trivial.
> And if I can't even find the symbol I want in an executable compiled by
> DMD, how would I code an IDE that could?
>

The next DDT release should have support for the GDC compiler, as it has 
for DMD now. This is precursor step to actually supporting debugging 
with GDB.

The question remains on what to do with regards to DMD debugging. It may 
easy enough to add support in Eclipse to an existing debugger, but if 
the debugger doesn't exist or is unsupported, it's a crappy situation.

What's the status with ddbg btw? I know the project is dead, but the 
debugger itself, is it still fairly usable, or has it a lot of issues? I 
couldn't tell myself from just a quick look at it.

-- 
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
August 03, 2011
Re: Status/future of the DDT project?
On 08/03/2011 06:35 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 01/08/2011 12:39, Samuel Lampa wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking into using D for some sysadmin tools I need to develop att
>> UPPMAX, and thus is looking for a good IDE for use on Linux, that
>> supports debugging (step/go-into etc) debugging and code completion.
>>
>> I found out about the DDT project, after seeing that Descent is dead
>> [1], and just wanted to hear what is the current status for the project
>> (etc for the very technical status, I can try to figure out myself), is
>> it going to be actively maintained in the foreseeable future etc?
>>
>
> At the moment it is just me working on DDT in any significant way 
> (although Gyula Gubacsi aka progician has submitted some code). But I 
> do plan and expect to work on it at least until the 1.0 milestone, 
> which I consider to be a highly stable and usable state: Concretely, 
> this means having debugger support, and updating/reimplementing the 
> parser so that it is stable, recognizes the newer D2 language 
> features, and is easy to modify (see 
> http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/ddt/issues/list?can=2&q=parser 
> )
>
> I really can't quite say how long it will take until this point is 
> reached.
>

Ok, big thanks for the update! Very much looking forward to that :) 
(happened to mention my hopes for DDT in threads such as [1]).

Also, though I don't know if my little bit of Eclipse RCP experience 
(from developing Bioclipse plugins) will really be enough for any more 
demanding stuff, I hope to find time for at least some 
testing/submitting bugs.

// Samuel

[1] 
http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/10785/what-bioinformatics-software-is-there-written-in-d/10793#10793

-- 
System Expert / Bioinformatician
SNIC-UPPMAX HPC Center
Uppsala University, Sweden
--------------------------------------
E-mail: samuel.lampa@scilifelab.uu.se
Phone: +46 (0)18 - 471 1060
WWW: http://www.uppmax.uu.se
Uppnex: https://www.uppnex.uu.se
August 03, 2011
Re: Status/future of the DDT project?
On 03/08/2011 17:46, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> The question remains on what to do with regards to DMD debugging. It may
> easy enough to add support in Eclipse to an existing debugger, but if
> the debugger doesn't exist or is unsupported, it's a crappy situation.

Clarification: I meant DMD debugging on Windows. I assume DMD works 
fairly well on Linux, since it generates debug info (DWARF on ELF?) that 
GDB understands. Is this correct?

-- 
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
August 03, 2011
Re: Status/future of the DDT project?
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Bruno Medeiros
<brunodomedeiros+spam@com.gmail> wrote:

> On 03/08/2011 17:46, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> The question remains on what to do with regards to DMD debugging. It may
>> easy enough to add support in Eclipse to an existing debugger, but if
>> the debugger doesn't exist or is unsupported, it's a crappy situation.
>>
>
> Clarification: I meant DMD debugging on Windows. I assume DMD works fairly
> well on Linux, since it generates debug info (DWARF on ELF?) that GDB
> understands. Is this correct?
>
> --
> Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
>

With -g, it crashes GDB. With -gc, there's debug info, but all the symbol
names seem to be mangled. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place, but
the few times I've tried to debug things compiled with -gc, I've rarely been
able to find the symbol I wanted. I'm not sure why.

As a note, you can currently build using GDC if you modify the arguments in
the response file and use xargs to invoke GDC using the response file.
August 03, 2011
Re: Status/future of the DDT project?
On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:26:19 AM, Andrew Wiley wrote:
> With -g, it crashes GDB. With -gc, there's debug info, but all the symbol names seem to be mangled. Maybe I was just
> looking in the wrong place, but the few times I've tried to debug things compiled with -gc, I've rarely been able to
> find the symbol I wanted. I'm not sure why.
> 
> As a note, you can currently build using GDC if you modify the arguments in the response file and use xargs to invoke
> GDC using the response file.

To get demangled symbols a very recent gdb release is required 
(something around 7.2).  But there's still lots of not quite right 
issues between dmd and gdb.  On 64 bit it's even worse than 32 bit.  
Somone with either a lot of time or a good bit of dwarf experience 
needs to do some more deep diving.  The situation right now is better 
than it was a year ago, but it's still far from great.

-gc really needs to become the default, and -g dropped into the waste 
basket of time, unle
ss someone is going to invest sufficient time to 
get the D extensions actually supported in all the mainstream 
debuggers.  It's just not a good experience for the most obvious debug 
flag to not work.

Anyway, my 2 cents,
Brad
August 04, 2011
Re: Status/future of the DDT project?
Am 03.08.2011, 19:00 Uhr, schrieb Bruno Medeiros  
<brunodomedeiros+spam@com.gmail>:

> On 03/08/2011 17:46, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> The question remains on what to do with regards to DMD debugging. It may
>> easy enough to add support in Eclipse to an existing debugger, but if
>> the debugger doesn't exist or is unsupported, it's a crappy situation.
>
> Clarification: I meant DMD debugging on Windows. I assume DMD works  
> fairly well on Linux, since it generates debug info (DWARF on ELF?) that  
> GDB understands. Is this correct?

It's the other way around. Development and debugging is quite nice on  
Windows due to Visual D + cv2pdb.
August 04, 2011
Re: Status/future of the DDT project?
> -gc really needs to become the default, and -g dropped into the waste
> basket of time, unless someone is going to invest sufficient time to
> get the D extensions actually supported in all the mainstream
> debuggers.  It's just not a good experience for the most obvious debug
> flag to not work.

-g + cv2pdb works well on Windows.
Next ›   Last »
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home