January 09, 2013
On 01/09/2013 09:54 AM, Mehrdad wrote:
> You (or Walter I guess) are the first person I've seen who calls C++ garbage
> collected.

Maybe not GC in the truest sense, but one of the first realizations I had when I started teaching myself C++ (having originally learned C) was, "Oh, gosh, I don't have to manually handle memory allocation/deallocation any more."

Of course, that's an overstatement in reality, but I still find that for almost all of the C++ code I've ever had to write, I've been able to avoid manual memory management.

January 09, 2013
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 02:49:34 UTC, Rob T wrote:
>
> I'm very surprised that not too many people have been screaming for dynamic linking and runtime loading. It's very hard for me to imagine not having the feature because it's so darn useful and an essential feature if your strategy is to allow 3rd parties to extend an application without hacking at the source code.
>
> If there's another better way, I'd sure like to know about it!
>
> --rt

There were many people screaming about it.
Just there is nobody who could make it work.

Walter claimed that compiler is shared-lib ready, it is just druntime that is lacking. And he hasn't got knowledge to make it work on his own.

Sean Kelly is out - he was Walter's bet to make it work.

My hope was Martin Nowak, he was working on it but seems that he also got busy with other stuff
January 09, 2013
Am 09.01.2013 12:39, schrieb nazriel:
> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 02:49:34 UTC, Rob T wrote:
>>
>> I'm very surprised that not too many people have been screaming for
>> dynamic linking and runtime loading. It's very hard for me to imagine
>> not having the feature because it's so darn useful and an essential
>> feature if your strategy is to allow 3rd parties to extend an
>> application without hacking at the source code.
>>
>> If there's another better way, I'd sure like to know about it!
>>
>> --rt
>
> There were many people screaming about it.
> Just there is nobody who could make it work.
>
> Walter claimed that compiler is shared-lib ready, it is just druntime
> that is lacking. And he hasn't got knowledge to make it work on his own.
>
> Sean Kelly is out - he was Walter's bet to make it work.
>
> My hope was Martin Nowak, he was working on it but seems that he also
> got busy with other stuff

The compiler is not shared-lib ready. At least not on windows. It does not support exporting data symbols. E.g.

export uint g_myGlobal;

This is mostly a problem for "hidden" data symbols, like vtables, module info objects, type info objects and other stuff D relies on.

Druntime on windows does already handle everything else pefectly (e.g. threads and TLS)

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut
January 09, 2013
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 09:17:35 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> 09-Jan-2013 12:54, Mehrdad пишет:
>> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:51:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:28:44 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
>>>> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:14:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>>> On 1/8/2013 11:42 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
>>>>>> (True, it wouldn't give you the power of a systems language, but
>>>>>> that's quite
>>>>>> obviouly not my point -- the point is that it's a _perfectly possible_
>>>>>> memory-safe language which we made, so I don't understand Walter's
>>>>>> comment about
>>>>>> a GC being "required" for a memory-safe language.)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The misunderstanding is you are not considering reference counting
>>>>> as a form of GC. It is.
>>>>
>>>> So you would say that C++ code (which uses reference counting) uses
>>>> garbage collection?
>>>
>>> Yes.
>>
>> You (or Walter I guess) are the first person I've seen who calls C++
>> garbage collected.
>>
>
> That's a stretch - IMHO I'd call the language garbage collected iff it is the default way language-wise (e.g. if C++ new was ref-counted I'd call C++ garbage collected).
>
> This way D is garbage collected language because the language default is GC.

I was being provocative on purpose.

Having said that, a C++ application where *_ptr<> + STL types are used everywhere can make C++ almost a safe language.

Unfortunately most C++ libraries make use of naked pointers.

Paulo
January 09, 2013
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 10:21:29 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 10:14:07 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
>> Am 09.01.2013 11:09, schrieb Mehrdad:
>>> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 10:07:42 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>>> Reference counting tend to create big pauses when deallocating
>>>> as objects tends to dies in group.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I don't get it... it's slower to deallocate a bunch of objects
>>> together with refcounting than to deallocate all of them
>>> individually over a longer period of time?
>>>
>>
>> could be - think of an large hierarchy of objects which tends to take some time to deconstruct ... a background gc could be better for your application speed in this situation - by the cost of smaller pause and more resource usage
>
>
> Come to think of it, C++ allocators are meant for exactly this: throwing away an entire batch of objects in 1 go. Beats GCs any day.
>
>
>>
>> or better - what is the real reason for Java and C# for using garbage collectors if ref-counting will be always better (except cyclic stuff)?
>
> Pretty sure the only reason C#/Java use a GC _is_ for cyclic stuff, and that's it.
>
>
> If you have any other reasons please show me a benchmark that shows a GC being faster than the equivalent refcounted code (I've seen lots of talks in theory about how it _COULD_ be different but never seen any examples in practice; would love to see one).

Reference counting always implies extra booking code per memory access, I fail to see how it can be made faster than any parallel GC.

The Aonix VM for example is used in military scenarios like missile radar systems and battleship gun's control systems, beats any game timing requirements, I would say.

--
Paulo
January 09, 2013
On 1/9/13 4:25 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> The compiler is not shared-lib ready. At least not on windows. It does
> not support exporting data symbols. E.g.
>
> export uint g_myGlobal;
>
> This is mostly a problem for "hidden" data symbols, like vtables, module
> info objects, type info objects and other stuff D relies on.

Are there bugzilla entries for this?

Andrei
January 09, 2013
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:59:01 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> [...] whereas all dynamic linking really does is save disk space.

Saving on disk space is a minor advantage. The main advantage is allowing shared libs to be distributed without having to re-link then in manually. For example, if a bug is fixed in a shared lib, all applications automatically get the bug fix, but with statically linked libs, you have to re-link all the apps that use the lib to gain access to the bug fix. With static linking you also have no easy way to ensure that your apps are all using the most up-to-date version of a shared lib. Effectively, without dynamic linking, collections of applications, such as operating systems would be very difficult to deploy and maintain to the point of being impractical.

D is simply a whole lot less useful without full dynamic runtime linking.

--rt
January 09, 2013
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 11:24:32 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Walter wasn't arguing that there wasn't a place for manual memory management.
> He was arguing that you can't guarantee memory safety if you're using manual
> memory management - hence why malloc and free are @system. @system code is not
> memory safe like @safe code is, but it still very much has it's place.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

You cannot guarantee memory safety with a GC either, depending on the definition of "memory safety".

For example, you can still access deallocated memory by mistake, run out of memory due to accumulating persistent pointers left around by mistake, or free memory that was not supposed to be freed by mistake. The GC implementation may fail due to bugs, deallocating live memory or failing to deallocate inactive memory.

The only thing a GC can do for you, is free up the programmer from the tedium of managing memory. It also allows constructs that otherwise would be very difficult or impractical to implement. The effect can be very positive, but there are no guarantees of memory safety.

I also doubt that a "one size fits" all approach to garbage collection will ever satisfy everyone. What's needed is the ability to both manage memory manually and automatically (D allows this which is good), but also allow for the automated methods to be easily replaced (plug-ins come to mind), and if possible allow sections of code to be managed by completely different garbage collector implementations that are designed to serve different purposes (this may or may not be practical to do).

--rt

January 09, 2013
On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 08:33:23AM +0100, Rob T wrote: [...]
> There is a point being made here that is perfectly valid. There is a form of memory leak that a GC can never catch, such as when when memory is allocated and simply never deallocated by mistake due to a persistent "in use" pointer that should have been nulled but wasn't.

No form of memory management will be immune to programmer error. That's plain impossible. You can write broken code in any language, under any kind of memory management system. Short of going heapless, nothing is going to help you here.

(Actually, even going heapless won't help you -- think of what happens if you have a fixed-sized stack and forget to pop used-up elements. Yes such a bug is way more obvious than a pointer that didn't get nulled, but both are still just bugs.)

> In addition, the GC itself may fail to deallocated freed memory or even free live memory by mistake. I've seen bugs described to that effect.

I thought the idea was to make it so that SafeD is free from this kind of problem (short of a bug in the GC itself) -- AFAIK, the GC freeing live memory is caused by having XOR'ed pointers or other such tricks that cause the GC to fail to detect the pointer to the memory. In theory, SafeD should prevent this by not allowing unsafe operations on pointers like XOR'ing. SafeD still has a long ways to go, though.

> There simply is no panacea to the memory leak problem. What
> a GC does do, is free the programmer from a ton of tedium, and even
> allow for constructs that would normally not be practical to
> implement, but it can never guarantee anything more than that.
[...]

Yes. I don't think there are many things in the programming world that can be guaranteed. The compiler would have to be clairvoyant (not merely pass the Turing test) to catch these sorts of errors.

T

-- 
To provoke is to call someone stupid; to argue is to call each other stupid.
January 09, 2013
On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 06:26:55PM +0100, Rob T wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 11:24:32 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >Walter wasn't arguing that there wasn't a place for manual memory management.  He was arguing that you can't guarantee memory safety if you're using manual memory management - hence why malloc and free are @system. @system code is not memory safe like @safe code is, but it still very much has it's place.
> >
> >- Jonathan M Davis
> 
> You cannot guarantee memory safety with a GC either, depending on the definition of "memory safety".
> 
> For example, you can still access deallocated memory by mistake,

Are you sure about this? Short of doing pointer arithmetic (which is unsafe by definition), I don't see how you can do this. Where would you get the pointer to that memory from? It has to be stored somewhere, meaning the GC will not deallocate the memory pointed to.

> run out of memory due to accumulating persistent pointers left around by mistake,

That is not unsafe. That just means you run out of memory and get an OutOfMemory exception or the OS kills your process. No safety issue there.

> or free memory that was not supposed to be freed by mistake.

How? The GC, by definition, doesn't free the memory unless nothing is pointing to it.

> The GC implementation may fail due to bugs, deallocating live memory or failing to deallocate inactive memory.

You're conflating the theory of GCs and its implementation, which is prone to bugs. By that argument, you might as well say that there is no such thing as memory safety, because implementations are always prone to bugs. Your RAM could catch fire, for example. There's nothing you can do in software to prevent that. That's not a helpful argument, though. The question at hand is, given a GC, which presumably has been thoroughly debugged, does it guarantee memory safety?

I think it does, because as long as there's a pointer to the memory left, the GC will not collect it, and so you can't use the pointer to access invalid memory. If there are no more pointers to that memory, then by definition you have nothing to access that memory with. Like I said, you have to get the pointer from *somewhere*. As long as the pointer is somewhere, the GC will find it, and mark the memory as used, so it won't be collected. If there are no pointers left, you also have no way to access that memory anymore. So you can never access invalid memory. It's very straightforward.

This memory safety can be broken only if you allow pointer arithmetic and casts to/from pointers. But everyone knows that pointer arithmetic is unsafe by definition; I don't think we're talking about that here.

[...]
> I also doubt that a "one size fits" all approach to garbage collection will ever satisfy everyone.

Of course not. That's why the game devs on this list have been doing GC-less D programming. :-)

But that also means they have to either preallocate everything, or they have to manually manage the memory (with malloc/free or equivalent), which is unsafe, because it's very easy to free some memory while there are still pointers to it left.

> What's needed is the ability to both manage memory manually and automatically (D allows this which is good), but also allow for the automated methods to be easily replaced (plug-ins come to mind), and if possible allow sections of code to be managed by completely different garbage collector implementations that are designed to serve different purposes (this may or may not be practical to do).
[...]

I don't know about the practicality of using multiple GCs in a single app, but certainly the ability to choose from a number of alternative GC implementations at compile-time would be very welcome. You could have a GC that has high throughput but introduces intermittent long pauses, and another GC that has lower throughput but has no pauses longer than, say, 0.1 seconds. Then at compile-time you choose one, depending on what you need. An interactive app will choose the second, but a batch processing app will benefit from the first.

T

-- 
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous? -- Hobbes, from Calvin & Hobbes