View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
March 09, 2013
DDoc: possible to show inherited class members?
Is there a way for DDoc to generate documentation for inherited class
members in the documentation for a class?

	class A {
		int x;
	}
	/// Derived class
	class B : A {
		/// Another value
		int y;

		// ?? how to also show A.x in B's documentation?
	}


T

-- 
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and algebra don't mix.
March 09, 2013
Re: DDoc: possible to show inherited class members?
On Saturday, 9 March 2013 at 01:18:29 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Is there a way for DDoc to generate documentation for inherited 
> class
> members in the documentation for a class?
>
> 	class A {
> 		int x;
> 	}
> 	/// Derived class
> 	class B : A {
> 		/// Another value
> 		int y;
>
> 		// ?? how to also show A.x in B's documentation?
> 	}
>
>
> T

There's an enhancement opened about it[1] and I began 
implementing it a few weeks ago, but I haven't worked on it 
since. It's definitely on my TODO list though.

[1]: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=7688
March 09, 2013
Re: DDoc: possible to show inherited class members?
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:16:07 -0500, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx>  
wrote:

> Is there a way for DDoc to generate documentation for inherited class
> members in the documentation for a class?
>
> 	class A {
> 		int x;
> 	}
> 	/// Derived class
> 	class B : A {
> 		/// Another value
> 		int y;
>
> 		// ?? how to also show A.x in B's documentation?
> 	}
>
>
> T
>

As far as I can tell, vibe.d's doc generation tool is doing this.

http://vibed.org/temp/d-programming-language.org/phobos/std/stream/EndianStream.html

-Steve
March 09, 2013
Re: DDoc: possible to show inherited class members?
On Saturday, 9 March 2013 at 02:08:15 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:16:07 -0500, H. S. Teoh 
> <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way for DDoc to generate documentation for 
>> inherited class
>> members in the documentation for a class?
>>
>> 	class A {
>> 		int x;
>> 	}
>> 	/// Derived class
>> 	class B : A {
>> 		/// Another value
>> 		int y;
>>
>> 		// ?? how to also show A.x in B's documentation?
>> 	}
>>
>>
>> T
>>
>
> As far as I can tell, vibe.d's doc generation tool is doing 
> this.
>
> http://vibed.org/temp/d-programming-language.org/phobos/std/stream/EndianStream.html
>
> -Steve

It would be nice if this was default, and possibly if there was 
an 'inherit' when overriding much like there is 'ditto' (or just 
default to base type documentation).
March 09, 2013
Re: DDoc: possible to show inherited class members?
Am Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:06:18 +0100
schrieb "Kapps" <opantm2+spam@gmail.com>:

> It would be nice if this was default, and possibly if there was 
> an 'inherit' when overriding much like there is 'ditto' (or just 
> default to base type documentation).

No question.

-- 
Marco
March 10, 2013
Re: DDoc: possible to show inherited class members?
On 09/03/2013 07:06, Kapps wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 March 2013 at 02:08:15 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
<snip>
>> As far as I can tell, vibe.d's doc generation tool is doing this.
>>
>> http://vibed.org/temp/d-programming-language.org/phobos/std/stream/EndianStream.html
>>
>>
>> -Steve
>
> It would be nice if this was default,

It needs to be implemented in Ddoc first things first.  I suppose it 
would be a matter of giving the choice between listing them as regular 
methods (possibly with an "inherited" label) and listing them separately 
in a distinct format as Javadoc does, and then expecting the specifics 
of the distinct format to be covered in the Ddoc template.

> and possibly if there was an
> 'inherit' when overriding much like there is 'ditto' (or just default to
> base type documentation).

For overridden methods, and for inherited methods if they are being 
listed as regular methods, it should just default to the inherited 
documentation.  Possibly with an option to include an annotation that 
the documentation is inherited.

Stewart.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home