ketmar
Dec 15, 2014
ketmar
Dec 15, 2014
Wyatt
Dec 15, 2014
ketmar
December 14, 2014
there is preapproved bounty ER in bugzilla: https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11070

i did that, where is my bounty?!

but talking seriously, i don't need any bounty, i just want somebody to
take a look at that and either tell me what to fix or integrate it in
mainline. along with this one: https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13526

they are small, but nice additions. i'm using that patches on dayly basis and didn't found any troubles with them. please, take those, so i can throw away two .patch files from my build directory! ;-)

December 15, 2014

"ketmar via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message news:mailman.3160.1418550079.9932.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...

> but talking seriously, i don't need any bounty, i just want somebody to
> take a look at that and either tell me what to fix or integrate it in
> mainline. along with this one: https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13526

Review of patches for dmd are done on github: http://wiki.dlang.org/Pull_Requests#Create_a_pull_request 

December 15, 2014
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 13:19:01 +1100
Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> "ketmar via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message news:mailman.3160.1418550079.9932.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
> 
> > but talking seriously, i don't need any bounty, i just want somebody to take a look at that and either tell me what to fix or integrate it in mainline. along with this one: https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13526
> 
> Review of patches for dmd are done on github: http://wiki.dlang.org/Pull_Requests#Create_a_pull_request
so DON'T ALLOW THE FUCKIN' BUGZILLA TO HOST PATCHES!

and stop pretending that D is normal open-source project where anyone can send patches. that's blatant lies. i can see why i have to register on D bugtracker, which has the address "issues.dlang.org". but i can't see why i must register on some 3rd-party site which has NOTHING in common with D.

December 15, 2014
On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 08:54:24 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 13:19:01 +1100
> Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> "ketmar via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message news:mailman.3160.1418550079.9932.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
>> 
>> > but talking seriously, i don't need any bounty, i just want somebody to
>> > take a look at that and either tell me what to fix or integrate it in
>> > mainline. along with this one: https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13526
>> 
>> Review of patches for dmd are done on github: http://wiki.dlang.org/Pull_Requests#Create_a_pull_request
> so DON'T ALLOW THE FUCKIN' BUGZILLA TO HOST PATCHES!
>
> and stop pretending that D is normal open-source project where anyone
> can send patches. that's blatant lies. i can see why i have to register
> on D bugtracker, which has the address "issues.dlang.org". but i can't
> see why i must register on some 3rd-party site which has NOTHING in
> common with D.

You were looking forward to that, in fact I'd say trolling for it...

Your contribution is welcome and if you don't want to use Github, the chosen tool of D development, that's fine. But you cannot expect to dictate when others will turn your patches into PRs for you to get them into the D ecosystem.

You'll just have to wait, unless you submit the PR yourself of course.

Cheers,
uri

PS: You don't even have to join Github with your real name and email...
December 15, 2014
Choosing the way of throwing away code is up to you. Contributing in a way such it is acknowledged by upstream is defined by, coincidentally, upstream. The line gets drawn exactly at the moment where you are not satisfied with just throwing stuff away but want to claim bounty / get review.

Don't like it - get the fuck off.
December 15, 2014
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:14:26 +0000
Dicebot via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> Choosing the way of throwing away code is up to you. Contributing in a way such it is acknowledged by upstream is defined by, coincidentally, upstream. The line gets drawn exactly at the moment where you are not satisfied with just throwing stuff away but want to claim bounty / get review.
> 
> Don't like it - get the fuck off.
that's exactly what i planning to do. sadly, i can't find the easy way to remove my account in bugzilla.

but i clearly see how D will attract contributors this way. treating patches attached in *official* bugzilla as "trhowing stuff away" is epic win, this will help alot. good luck with that, i'm off.

December 15, 2014
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:07:53 +0000
uri via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> You were looking forward to that, in fact I'd say trolling for it...
that's not the first time i asking why bugzilla is still able to host patches. i just wanted to make myself sure that "any input is valuable" is blatant lies. one last time.

> Your contribution is welcome and if you don't want to use Github, the chosen tool of D development, that's fine. But you cannot expect to dictate when others will turn your patches into PRs for you to get them into the D ecosystem.
i.e. "shut the fuck off and get lost with your stupid patches, nobody is interested." this is not "welcome", this is "github or get lost".

> You'll just have to wait, unless you submit the PR yourself of course.
i waited for several month for *any* reaction. as my past expirience shows, the only reliable way to make somebody look at bugzilla patches is to start trollfest here. but i'm tired of that.

> PS: You don't even have to join Github with your real name and email...
i don't even understand why i have to join github in the first place. i don't want to be a part of github, i'm not interested in that. that's why i registered on official D bugzilla.

December 15, 2014
On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 09:31:28 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:07:53 +0000
> uri via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> You were looking forward to that, in fact I'd say trolling for it...
> that's not the first time i asking why bugzilla is still able to host
> patches. i just wanted to make myself sure that "any input is valuable"
> is blatant lies. one last time.

OK, fair point.

>
>> Your contribution is welcome and if you don't want to use Github, the chosen tool of D development, that's fine. But you cannot expect to dictate when others will turn your patches into PRs for you to get them into the D ecosystem.
> i.e. "shut the fuck off and get lost with your stupid patches, nobody
> is interested." this is not "welcome", this is "github or get lost".
>
>> You'll just have to wait, unless you submit the PR yourself of course.
> i waited for several month for *any* reaction. as my past expirience
> shows, the only reliable way to make somebody look at bugzilla patches
> is to start trollfest here. but i'm tired of that.
>
>> PS: You don't even have to join Github with your real name and email...
> i don't even understand why i have to join github in the first place. i
> don't want to be a part of github, i'm not interested in that. that's
> why i registered on official D bugzilla.

Ideally there'd be a tool to turn Bugzilla patch submission into a Github PR. But again it's work *someone* has to do and it isn't *that* much of a hurdle to get onto Github with a made up account just for D.

Cheers,
uri.
December 15, 2014
On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 09:31:28 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:07:53 +0000
> uri via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> You were looking forward to that, in fact I'd say trolling for it...
> that's not the first time i asking why bugzilla is still able to host
> patches. i just wanted to make myself sure that "any input is valuable"
> is blatant lies. one last time.

The fact it is valuable does not mean it is not a second class citizen. Valuable but less valuable. But you would never accept the reality that doesn't justify your rants, right?
December 15, 2014
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:46:29 +0000
uri via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> Ideally there'd be a tool to turn Bugzilla patch submission into a Github PR. But again it's work *someone* has to do and it isn't *that* much of a hurdle to get onto Github with a made up account just for D.
except that i can't make account just for D on github. it's "all or nothing" thing, and i don't want "all". so the only choice i have is "nothing". it's not about "don't use features you don't want", it's about me don't want to be genuine github user. i don't want to look like part of github community, i don't want to be shown in their userlist in any way, and i want that anyone looking at my github profile see the explanation that i don't like github, i'm not a part of github community and i was just forced to join for the projects i listed. this is impossible, however, so github is a no-go for me.

and it's ok for D community to ask to use github, but then there must be a clear sign in bugzilla that tells the users that they HAVE to use github to submit patches. each time they want to attach a patch file (and why that patch files are still allowed then?).

it's another "purely cosmetic issue", D is full of that. the thing people somehow don't want to understand is that "cosmetic issues" are important, as they builds the image of the whole project. that's why i'm stressing "cosmetic issues" again and again in the desperate hope that someone will grok that simply thing.

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5 6