June 15, 2017
SCons is beginning to gear up to releasing version 3.

In looking at the D tooling, I have found something of an inconsistency that would lead to a breaking change. SCons 2 → 3 would be a good place to do this, but it would require short-circuiting SCons' usual deprecation process.

Currently the dmd, ldc, and gdc tools not only set up the compiler, they also introduce the StaticLibrary builder, but not the SharedLibrary builder. SCons normal set up is to use the link tool to set up SharedLibrary builder and ar tool to set up StaticLibrary builder. dmd, ldc, and gdc should not set up StaticLibrary builder.

So does anyone using SCons for D builds use StaticLibrary builder without using the ar tool? If in SCons 3 you were required to use the ar tool to get the StaticLibrary builder would there be a problem?

Also another issue of a breaking change: does anyone use SCons for D builds on Fedora using the version of LDC where the library was called libphobos-ldc.so instead of libphobos2-ldc.so. There is a hack in the ldc tool for this. I would like to remove the hack. This is technically a breaking change so should go into the deprecation cycle, I would like to short circuit this as well in the light of moving SCons 2 → 3 and allow breaking changes.

The default answer to questions is no, which would mean waiting for SCons 4 to make these breaking changes.

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder