July 01, 2020
On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 at 13:40:30 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
[...]
> -Steve

I am of the same sentiment. Thank you for wording this in a de-escalating way, and for raising the spirit on these forums!

— Bastiaan.
July 02, 2020
> [...]
> -Steve

I'm happy to read this from a long-time member of the D ng. To be
honest I got a (probably unwarranted) bad feeling yesterday when
I read WB message. But this is reconforting. Thanks.
July 02, 2020
>
> Begin even more off-topic rant:
>

[...]

> It can be just as effective to point out the offense, and remind people that we should avoid these kinds of tones, rather than refuse to discuss further (which often has the opposite effect -- escalating).

Yes. Exactly. Thank you.

> Deescalation and humor I find are often a better response than shaming and begrudging.
>
> -Steve

Again, yes. Thanks.

The D forum used to be more tolerant and focus on the issues that were raised rather than on the way things were worded. Also, if you have to think carefully about every word in order to sound nice and proper and avoid offense at any cost (somebody is always offended), chances are that the real point of your message gets lost. This could be interpreted as a strategy to muffle dissent.

July 02, 2020
On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 at 21:40:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

>
> Calling someone "spoiled" is rude and unprofessional. Period.

I disagree, you know there is such a thing as context.

>
> People who want their message heard need to post in a professional manner. I don't care about the opinions of rude people. I don't care to work with them, even if they are good. I am hardly alone in this - pretty much nobody in the professional world responds to rude messages.
>

That's a bit worrying. So you are saying that you dismiss / don't care about somebody's opinion, because you don't like their style? This is what I would call unprofessional. You have to listen to everybody if they have valid points or good ideas. We're talking about technology, a product, not politics.

Note aside: I think the guys who invented / developed the mouse + UI at Xerox were a bunch of "non-conformists" and they were fired (I think). Steve Jobs took them on (or offered more money? Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know the whole story.)

>
> I recommend that anyone who has difficulties understanding what politeness is get a copy of Emily Post's book on business etiquette.

"Honesty" can be used as an excuse to hurt somebody, and "politeness" can be used as an excuse to chicken out: "Oh, that was a rude question, I don't need to answer to that. (Emily Post wouldn't have answered to that either, I'm sure.)"

Now, here's something about Emily Post:

"Emily Post (c. October 27, 1872 – September 25, 1960) was an American author and socialite, famous for writing about etiquette. [...]

The New York Times' Dinitia Smith reports, in her review of Laura Claridge's 2008 biography of Post,[4]

'Emily was tall, pretty and spoiled.'"

There it is again: "spoiled". :) I wonder is there a link between being spoiled and insisting on etiquette?

Anyway, business and technology should not be guided by rules laid down by a socialite (a spoiled one at that!). And thanks be to God, it hasn't, else we wouldn't have the technologies we have. You know, over-insistence on etiquette can also be a sign of stagnation (cf. what the USA achieved vs. Europe)

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Post)

> Ill-mannered people find themselves shut out of all kinds of opportunities, and they rarely figure out why.

"Ill-mannered" as defined by Emily Post?

July 02, 2020
On Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 09:29:26 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 at 21:40:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>>
>> not politics.
>
> Note aside: I think the guys who invented / developed the mouse + UI at Xerox were a bunch of "non-conformists" and they were fired (I think). Steve Jobs took them on (or offered more money? Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know the whole story.)
>

Interesting. That guy hunted for talents like crazy. I think they once used the "Think Different" pitch.

Sometimes it also depends on culture. Not sure though.

But here people "fight" and eat from the same bowl.

But since this in an international community, it's safer to avoid certain words in certain contexts.

Sometimes we're just tired and frustrated with this software thing. It's fast changing, we need to get things done and if sometimes is not working put how you think you want it, it can take a huge toll on your emotions.

I try (or at least I'm trying) to l assume people have good intent and be positive biased...in a world of increasing negativity biasness.

July 06, 2020
On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 05:39:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 03:02:20AM +0000, Jordan Wilson via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> [...]
> [...]
>
> These days, if you use a recent compiler, it's even easier:
>
> [...]

Just now I wanted to find the max value of a column in a text file, my thinking went "Excel? It'll take ages to load...I'll just google awk or something...hang on a minute, didn't I read somewhere about D oneliners?"

echo 'import std; void main() { File("emu.sift","r").byLine.map!(a => a.splitter(" ").front.to!double).maxElement.writeln; }' | dmd -run -

Thanks!

Jordan
July 07, 2020
On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 08:47:36PM +0000, Jordan Wilson via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> Just now I wanted to find the max value of a column in a text file, my thinking went "Excel? It'll take ages to load...I'll just google awk or something...hang on a minute, didn't I read somewhere about D oneliners?"
> 
> echo 'import std; void main() { File("emu.sift","r").byLine.map!(a =>
> a.splitter(" ").front.to!double).maxElement.writeln; }' | dmd -run -
[...]

Awesome stuff!!  We should collect a library of these one-liners, maybe on the wiki or something, that can serve as a useful reference.  It can also be used to show off D's capabilities too.

T

-- 
"You are a very disagreeable person." "NO."
July 07, 2020
On Monday, 6 July 2020 at 20:47:36 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
>
> Just now I wanted to find the max value of a column in a text file, my thinking went "Excel? It'll take ages to load...I'll just google awk or something...hang on a minute, didn't I read somewhere about D oneliners?"
>
> echo 'import std; void main() { File("emu.sift","r").byLine.map!(a => a.splitter(" ").front.to!double).maxElement.writeln; }' | dmd -run -
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jordan

IMO this still doesn't hold a candle to the awk version:

awk '{ if ($1 > max) max = $1 } END { print max }'

With better library functions, though, the D version could be much, much nicer. Something like:

stdin.byRecord.map(r => r.fields[0]).maxElement
July 08, 2020
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 23:38:26 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Monday, 6 July 2020 at 20:47:36 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Just now I wanted to find the max value of a column in a text file, my thinking went "Excel? It'll take ages to load...I'll just google awk or something...hang on a minute, didn't I read somewhere about D oneliners?"
>>
>> echo 'import std; void main() { File("emu.sift","r").byLine.map!(a => a.splitter(" ").front.to!double).maxElement.writeln; }' | dmd -run -
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jordan
>
> IMO this still doesn't hold a candle to the awk version:
>
>     awk '{ if ($1 > max) max = $1 } END { print max }'
>
> With better library functions, though, the D version could be much, much nicer. Something like:
>
>     stdin.byRecord.map(r => r.fields[0]).maxElement

Oh I agree the awk version is nicer (as is your theoretical D version). But I couldn't write that off the top of my head, whereas the D version I could.

Here's something I just did now that might be more relevant:
echo 'import std; void main() { "bets.json".readText.parseJSON.toPrettyString.writeln; }' | dmd -run - | more

I did this without looking up anything. Whereas before this echo/import std; into dmd -run trick, I would have opened up vim, and hoped that my previous command to pretty print was still in the history! (using python if I remember correctly).

I *think* that writing a more slightly more verbose D one-liner without needing to reference anything might prove itself useful to me in the long run, but we shall see.

Jordan

July 08, 2020
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 23:38:26 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Monday, 6 July 2020 at 20:47:36 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
>>
>> echo 'import std; void main() { File("emu.sift","r").byLine.map!(a => a.splitter(" ").front.to!double).maxElement.writeln; }' | dmd -run -
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jordan
>
> IMO this still doesn't hold a candle to the awk version:
>
>     awk '{ if ($1 > max) max = $1 } END { print max }'
>
> With better library functions, though, the D version could be much, much nicer. Something like:
>
>     stdin.byRecord.map(r => r.fields[0]).maxElement

Not in one liner form

readText("emu.sift").csvReader!(Tuple!(double))(' ').map!(x => x[0]).maxElement.writeln;

I wanted to us

https://dlang.org/phobos/std_range.html#transversal

But that didn't work for a few reasons. It would be nice because this example isn't good if trying to do something with say the 25 element.