February 21, 2016
kinke <noone@nowhere.com> writes:

> On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 11:49:15 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
>> This really rocks. The next alpha version of ldc is not too far away!!!
>
> I think the time would be right to merge-2.069 into master. We're green on Travis and AppVeyor, David's apparently already experimenting on merge-2.070 ;), and existing PRs shouldn't be that hard to rebase.
>
> Great job guys! :)

Once this happens, need to pick a branch for actively maintaining and enhancing the 0.17.x line with C++ frontend.  It will be the bootstrap D compiler for all those non-x86 platforms.  Seems like it should be something like ldc-0.17.  All pending arm-linux changes will need to go there too.

Kai, David?
-- 
Dan
February 22, 2016
On 22 Feb 2016, at 0:18, Dan Olson via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> Once this happens, need to pick a branch for actively maintaining and
> enhancing the 0.17.x line with C++ frontend.

Yep, I agree. I was thinking Kai would just create the branch when (or rather, before) he merges 2.069 to master.

— David
February 22, 2016
On Sunday, 21 February 2016 at 23:31:39 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2016, at 0:18, Dan Olson via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
>> Once this happens, need to pick a branch for actively maintaining and
>> enhancing the 0.17.x line with C++ frontend.
>
> Yep, I agree. I was thinking Kai would just create the branch when (or rather, before) he merges 2.069 to master.
>
>  — David

Hi,

that was my plan for the Weekend. Unfortunately it was delayed by some Trouble with my Notebook...
I like to do it today, including creating a tag for the alpha version.

Regards,
Kai

February 22, 2016
On Sunday, 21 February 2016 at 23:18:32 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
> It will be the bootstrap D compiler for all those non-x86 platforms.

I'm hoping we'll soon put more focus on cross-compilability and thus not have to rely on such a bootstrap compiler. But until then we need a purely C++ one, that's right.
February 23, 2016
kink <noone@nowhere.com> writes:

> On Sunday, 21 February 2016 at 23:18:32 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
>> It will be the bootstrap D compiler for all those non-x86 platforms.
>
> I'm hoping we'll soon put more focus on cross-compilability and thus not have to rely on such a bootstrap compiler. But until then we need a purely C++ one, that's right.

I'm thinking more the non-embedded platforms, ones that you development on and for. Like the Rasperberry Pi. I think those will always be easier to bootstrap than to try and cross-compile LDC and LLVM.
--
Dan
February 27, 2016
On Tuesday, 23 February 2016 at 16:52:18 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
> I'm thinking more the non-embedded platforms, ones that you development on and for. Like the Rasperberry Pi. I think those will always be easier to bootstrap than to try and cross-compile LDC and LLVM.

I was thinking about only cross-compiling the ddmd front-end. Compiling the C++ parts of LDC and then linking all object files against a native LLVM on the target platform is surely the simpler approach.
So all one would need for bootstrapping is a LDC binary on an already supported platform with an LLVM able to output object files for the target. And some more CMake magic of course. ;)

1 2 3
Next ›   Last »