Feb 02, 2015
Russel Winder
Feb 02, 2015
Tobias Pankrath
Feb 03, 2015
Jesse Phillips
February 01, 2015
Hello,

Walter and I have been mulling for a while on a vision for the first six months of 2015.

http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1

This is stuff we consider important for D going forward and plan to work actively on. We encourage the D community to focus contributions along the same lines.

We intentionally kept the document short and high-level as opposed to discussing tactical details. Such discussions are encouraged in the appropriate forums.

Thanks,

Walter and Andrei
February 01, 2015
On 1/02/2015 2:17 p.m., Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
> Walter and I have been mulling for a while on a vision for the first six
> months of 2015.
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1
>
> This is stuff we consider important for D going forward and plan to work
> actively on. We encourage the D community to focus contributions along
> the same lines.
>
> We intentionally kept the document short and high-level as opposed to
> discussing tactical details. Such discussions are encouraged in the
> appropriate forums.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Walter and Andrei

I'm personally slightly concerned about libraries into phobos. Not so much libraries in general. But frameworks.
This is how we do x, kind.

Can we please keep opinionated "libraries" of how to do things away from phobos?
An ORM is a great example of this. But a client library to e.g. Mysql is fine.

Anyway enough about that, the plan is definitely looking good!
February 01, 2015
Vision/2015H1 wrote:
> We believe safety is an important aspect of language design, and we plan to continue building on the @safe/@trusted/@system troika.

I like the "troika" :-)
February 01, 2015
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 03:46:25 UTC, data man wrote:
> Vision/2015H1 wrote:
>> We believe safety is an important aspect of language design, and we plan to continue building on the @safe/@trusted/@system troika.
>
> I like the "troika" :-)

I had to look up what it means :/
February 01, 2015
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 01:17:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
> Walter and I have been mulling for a while on a vision for the first six months of 2015.
>
>
> This is stuff we consider important for D going forward and plan to work actively on. We encourage the D community to focus contributions along the same lines.
>
> We intentionally kept the document short and high-level as opposed to discussing tactical details. Such discussions are encouraged in the appropriate forums.

Nice work, D needed some direction like this.  I thought one oversight was no mention of ddmd, which seems to have gone into limbo over the last year.  According to Daniel, it's pretty much done but is just waiting on Brad to add some support in the auto-tester, for 9 months now:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/m8bt6s$1s86$1@digitalmars.com

Moving the dmd frontend to D would help encourage contribution, one of the explicit goals in the vision statement, and would help keep the C++ support up to date, as the backends will stay C++.

I wish there had been some mention of mobile.  Recent news was that 1 billion Android smartphones were sold last year: that dwarfs the 316 million PCs sold, a number that keeps declining.  That doesn't even include the two hundred million tablets sold last year.  Right now, there's two people working on Android support and one person on iOS support.

Even Android has moved to Ahead-Of-Time compilation with Lollipop.  Mobile is a giant opportunity for native languages, one D cannot afford to miss.
February 01, 2015
"Joakim"  wrote in message news:nphrawlkmiwksghfybxr@forum.dlang.org...

> Nice work, D needed some direction like this.  I thought one oversight was no mention of ddmd, which seems to have gone into limbo over the last year.  According to Daniel, it's pretty much done but is just waiting on Brad to add some support in the auto-tester, for 9 months now:

Brad has put the host compiler in place on windows now, so the only issue with that is the invalid config file sitting in the dmd dir, which will probably be fixed by updating the dmd install to master so I can use the new '-conf' switch.

There is also a crash related to D's va_copy not working, which I've nearly solved. 

February 01, 2015
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 01:17:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
> Walter and I have been mulling for a while on a vision for the first six months of 2015.
>
>
> This is stuff we consider important for D going forward and plan to work actively on. We encourage the D community to focus contributions along the same lines.

This is great, thanks!
Btw, people usually search for Dlang roadmap. Please use the word "roadmap" somewhere to make it searchable. Also, a generic link would be nice, without that 2015H1 in the url.

February 01, 2015
On 2015-02-01 08:12, Joakim wrote:

> I wish there had been some mention of mobile.  Recent news was that 1
> billion Android smartphones were sold last year: that dwarfs the 316
> million PCs sold, a number that keeps declining. That doesn't even
> include the two hundred million tablets sold last year.  Right now,
> there's two people working on Android support and one person on iOS
> support.

I agree.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
February 01, 2015
I'd really like "Emphasize vibe.d" to be replaced with "Emphasize dub". Get the latter and you get the former essentially for free (and it is WIP already).

Other than that - list makes perfect sense.
February 01, 2015
I think I can mostly agree with the plan, but:

> Improve language stability
> Define appropriately fuzzily-defined areas of the language (e.g. shared semantics, @property).

This is either a contradiction in itself, or "stability" actually means "change".

> Foster library additions over language changes, and raise the bar on language changes.

This needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis. The bare fact that something can be implemented in Phobos or user code doesn't mean it's a good idea. Both user experience and correctness/safety need to play a higher role in the decision than whether it requires language changes.

In particular, the stability argument must not be used as an excuse to keep bad design decisions around for the indefinite future.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5