Thread overview
Deploying D web servers
Dec 17
cloutiy
Dec 17
bauss
Dec 17
Mengu
Dec 18
Seb
Dec 18
aberba
Dec 18
aberba
December 17
Hi,

In the Javascript world there are services that provide a quick and simple means of deploying websites.

I've used things like surge.sh, netlify. I'm sure there are many others.

Is there something similar that exists for the D world?

Regards
December 17
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 17:06:32 UTC, cloutiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Javascript world there are services that provide a quick and simple means of deploying websites.
>
> I've used things like surge.sh, netlify. I'm sure there are many others.
>
> Is there something similar that exists for the D world?
>
> Regards

Map a drive to your server and have DUB build to it.
December 17
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 21:07:45 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 17:06:32 UTC, cloutiy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the Javascript world there are services that provide a quick and simple means of deploying websites.
>>
>> I've used things like surge.sh, netlify. I'm sure there are many others.
>>
>> Is there something similar that exists for the D world?
>>
>> Regards
>
> Map a drive to your server and have DUB build to it.

what does this mean?


December 18
On 17/12/2017 10:26 PM, Mengu wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 21:07:45 UTC, bauss wrote:
>> On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 17:06:32 UTC, cloutiy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In the Javascript world there are services that provide a quick and simple means of deploying websites.
>>>
>>> I've used things like surge.sh, netlify. I'm sure there are many others.
>>>
>>> Is there something similar that exists for the D world?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>
>> Map a drive to your server and have DUB build to it.
> 
> what does this mean?

Its a Windows thing.

For poisx you would mount via e.g. sshfs instead of mapping to a drive.
December 18
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 17:06:32 UTC, cloutiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Javascript world there are services that provide a quick and simple means of deploying websites.
>
> I've used things like surge.sh, netlify. I'm sure there are many others.
>
> Is there something similar that exists for the D world?
>
> Regards

If you use static linking, you can just rsync/scp your binary to your server.
No 5GB checkout of node_modules (with >1000 cat pics) required.

If you like an automatic pipeline, you could have a look at the heroku-buildpack-d [1].
Guide: https://tour.dlang.org/tour/en/vibed/deploy-on-heroku
In action:
- https://github.com/dlang-bots/dlang-bot (https://dlang-bot.herokuapp.com)
- https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/pull/231


[1] https://github.com/MartinNowak/heroku-buildpack-d
December 18
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 17:06:32 UTC, cloutiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Javascript world there are services that provide a quick and simple means of deploying websites.
>
> I've used things like surge.sh, netlify. I'm sure there are many others.
>
> Is there something similar that exists for the D world?
>
> Regards

The easiest way is to use Heroku. The getting started tutorial here (https://tour.dlang.org/) has a guide for that.

The best option would be to run your app in docker (Heroku uses docker under the hood) and run it in Google Cloud App Engine by using one of the D vibe.d images in docker Hub. Its much difficult to do if your not familiar with those stuff already. Once you know how, you'll never look back. You may use their Computer Engine (container powered by kubernetes directly) why gives you freedom but involves more configurations.

AWS, and Azure can also be used in a similar way.


Heroku is the easiest one closer to surge. But using Draft (https://draft.sh) could be much easier one you have it set up.

If the community can Get Microsoft developers to add D to Draft, that will be the day web D services becomes as easy as now, surge or netlify
December 18
On Monday, 18 December 2017 at 20:07:29 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 17:06:32 UTC, cloutiy wrote:
>> [...]
>
> The easiest way is to use Heroku. The getting started tutorial here (https://tour.dlang.org/) has a guide for that.
>
> [...]

Draft support build packs (https://github.com/Azure/draft/tree/master/packs). A D build pack is what is needed to run D code.