Thread overview
[your code here] minimal hex viewer
Jan 04
Seb
January 04
// Reads bytes from stdin and writes a hexadecimal view like a no-frills xxd.
// All the actual formatting work is done by format's sweet range syntax
void main(string[] args)
{
	import std.getopt;
	uint bytesPerLine = 8;
	args.getopt(
		"cols|c", &bytesPerLine
	);

	import std.stdio;
	import std.range : chunks;
	import std.algorithm : map, copy;
	import std.string : format;
	import std.ascii : newline;
	stdin.byChunk(bytesPerLine)
	     .map!(bytes => bytes.format!"%(%02X %)%s"(newline))
	     .copy(stdout.lockingTextWriter());
}

January 03
On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:25:59AM +0000, Justin Whear via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> // Reads bytes from stdin and writes a hexadecimal view like a no-frills
> xxd.
> // All the actual formatting work is done by format's sweet range syntax

Mmm, I like this!  Care to submit a PR for this in the dlang.org repo?


> void main(string[] args)
> {
> 	import std.getopt;
> 	uint bytesPerLine = 8;
> 	args.getopt(
> 		"cols|c", &bytesPerLine
> 	);
> 
> 	import std.stdio;
> 	import std.range : chunks;
> 	import std.algorithm : map, copy;
> 	import std.string : format;
> 	import std.ascii : newline;

Instead of cluttering the code with a whole bunch of local imports, for such a short program I'd recommend just importing entire modules (skip the specific symbols) at the top of the file.


> 	stdin.byChunk(bytesPerLine)
> 	     .map!(bytes => bytes.format!"%(%02X %)%s"(newline))

Is the `newline` part actually necessary?  Doesn't "\n" automatically get translated into whatever it needs to be, assuming stdout is opened in text mode?


> 	     .copy(stdout.lockingTextWriter());
> }

I would omit the (), but that's just being nitpicky. :-P


T

-- 
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool. -- Edward Burr
January 04
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 00:35:56 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:25:59AM +0000, Justin Whear via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> // Reads bytes from stdin and writes a hexadecimal view like a no-frills
>> xxd.
>> // All the actual formatting work is done by format's sweet range syntax
>
> Mmm, I like this!  Care to submit a PR for this in the dlang.org repo?

@Justin: Thanks a lot for your suggestion, but don't we already have a "Print hex dump" example on dlang.org?

January 04
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 00:54:12 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 00:35:56 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:25:59AM +0000, Justin Whear via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> // Reads bytes from stdin and writes a hexadecimal view like a no-frills
>>> xxd.
>>> // All the actual formatting work is done by format's sweet range syntax
>>
>> Mmm, I like this!  Care to submit a PR for this in the dlang.org repo?
>
> @Justin: Thanks a lot for your suggestion, but don't we already have a "Print hex dump" example on dlang.org?

Looks like we do, I had not noticed it previously.  Naturally I prefer my implementation, ;)