View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
February 03, 2005
D Round Robin anouncement
Hi everyone,

I hope D Round Robin will start some competition as well as cooperation
to solve some of D's problems.

http://dstress.kuehne.cn/www/d-round-robin.html

Details like deadlines etc. will be posted on November 17. in this
newsgroup.

Thomas
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
Maybe I'm a total dunce, but your post seems to contain no information. 
What is the D Round Robin?

"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop@kuehne.THISISSPAM.cn> wrote in message 
news:nel8d2-pm3.ln1@lnews.kuehne.cn...
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I hope D Round Robin will start some competition as well as 
> cooperation
> to solve some of D's problems.
>
> http://dstress.kuehne.cn/www/d-round-robin.html
>
> Details like deadlines etc. will be posted on November 17. in this
> newsgroup.
>
> Thomas
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> iD8DBQFCAaa13w+/yD4P9tIRApXMAJ9U744eNKplYDvE21PyN6rkqFZeGQCfVXx2
> stnR2cuvd6GIVi8bBbvzWbQ=
> =Ncsk
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
Matthew wrote:

> Maybe I'm a total dunce, but your post seems to contain no information. 

It's the local trend (see the D release announcements)...

You're supposed to follow the hyperlink for any info.
(See http://dstress.kuehne.cn/www/d-round-robin.html)

--anders

PS. Seems to be a competition of some sort:

> The aim of D round robin is to unlock D's potential and of course having fun.
> Everybody is encouraged to take part - be it with hunting Big Bugs,
> writing core libraries or toying with D source code.

    Why we need yet another Phobos is beyond me.
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
Interesting!  I was thinking of an entry that qualifies in all three 
categories -- an obfuscated library that crashes d compilers :)


Thomas Kuehne wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> Hi everyone,
> 
> I hope D Round Robin will start some competition as well as cooperation
> to solve some of D's problems.
> 
> http://dstress.kuehne.cn/www/d-round-robin.html
> 
> Details like deadlines etc. will be posted on November 17. in this
> newsgroup.
> 
> Thomas
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 
> iD8DBQFCAaa13w+/yD4P9tIRApXMAJ9U744eNKplYDvE21PyN6rkqFZeGQCfVXx2
> stnR2cuvd6GIVi8bBbvzWbQ=
> =Ncsk
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
Anders F Björklund wrote:
|> The aim of D round robin is to unlock D's potential and of course
|> having fun.
|> Everybody is encouraged to take part - be it with hunting Big Bugs,
|> writing core libraries or toying with D source code.
|
|
|     Why we need yet another Phobos is beyond me.

Already running Phobos replacement projects aren't barred.

Basically there are several issues with the current Phobos:

1) there are core components with unclear/no license details

2) there are core components that aren't open sourced
(e.g. internal/qsort.d)

3) language features and lib features are mixed in a hard to separate
way, thus making porting unnecessarily hard

4) no support for 64bit platforms

Thomas
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
Thomas Kuehne wrote:

> Basically there are several issues with the current Phobos:
> 
> 1) there are core components with unclear/no license details

That is a big problem, indeed. Guess I hadn't looked
at every file... Is there a list compiled somewhere ?
(license audit of the DMD front-end and Phobos library)

> 2) there are core components that aren't open sourced
> (e.g. internal/qsort.d)

But couldn't this just be a) open sourced or b) replaced ?
(without having to make another version of Phobos, I mean)

> 3) language features and lib features are mixed in a hard to separate
> way, thus making porting unnecessarily hard

The code patches necessary for GDC seem to have a long way to
swim upstream, to be included in main Phobos, that's for sure...

You would have thought that eventually it wouldn't need
patching anymore, but that does not seem to be the case ?

> 4) no support for 64bit platforms

Clearly a "bug" in the current implementation.
Or are you referring to actual API changes ?


And there are the varios OOP rewrites of Phobos, of course.
(plus Phobos rising / Ares, and all the other D libraries)

--anders
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Thomas Kuehne wrote:
>> 4) no support for 64bit platforms
> 
> Clearly a "bug" in the current implementation.
> Or are you referring to actual API changes ?

I tried changing the un-64bit-ish "ulong _d_newarray(...)" to return an 
Array struct (same size on 32bit platforms even) but it did not work - I 
think that the DMD generates code assuming that a scalar ulong is 
returned and not an aggregate type.

However, I do not see how replacing phobos can fix that.

-ben
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
>> The aim of D round robin is to unlock D's potential and of course having fun.
>> Everybody is encouraged to take part - be it with hunting Big Bugs,
>> writing core libraries or toying with D source code.
>
>     Why we need yet another Phobos is beyond me.

I hope one can submit a slightly modified phobos - I just want to redo the
Exception hierarchy and fix some bugs in it. And maybe add libiconv support if
the platform supports it.

I just went looking at the OSI license list and interestingly enough I couldn't
find one that mentioned "public domain" anywhere. You'd think the open source
folks would allow the most open license of all. oh well. :-(
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement (public domain)
Ben Hinkle wrote:

> I just went looking at the OSI license list and interestingly enough I couldn't
> find one that mentioned "public domain" anywhere. You'd think the open source
> folks would allow the most open license of all. oh well. :-(

Public Domain has to do with copyright, not *so* much with licensing.
(or more specifically that the author gives up any copyright claims)

The problem with public domain is that it is so easy to close again ?
Most open source uses copyright to make sure that the rights remain...

But as far as I know, Public Domain can use the "brand" Open Source
- as long as it is accompanied by the actual source code, of course...

Kind of an interesting meta-question, if the absence of copyright and/or
license is a copyright/license in itself? But not for this D newsgroup.

--anders
February 03, 2005
Re: D Round Robin anouncement
Thomas Kuehne wrote:

> Details like deadlines etc. will be posted on November 17. in this
> newsgroup.

The website said "February 17", which sounds a little more interesting

;-)
--anders
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home